Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2002
I have been happily using MacOS 9.1 for serious production work for some time. I would like to switch to MacOS X (Jaguar), but I have some questions that forum members might like to help me out with.

Can I install OS X over 9.1 without problems? will a clean install do the job?

I am planning upgrade my major apps, but some programs I have are not yet OS X operable and still need 9.1. Since I need to run them in Classic mode, does the OS X install put 9.x on my system? or will the current system folder be intact and usable from OS X?

Are there any problems/issues that I need to know about?

Will the install retain things like communications settings?

Thanks for your help.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Can I install OS X over 9.1 without problems? will a clean install do the job?
Yes..It will be fine
Since I need to run them in Classic mode, does the OS X install put 9.x on my system? or will the current system folder be intact and usable from OS X?
The OSX install does not install 9...just use your current system folder or reinstall it if you plan on wiping the disk first..
Are there any problems/issues that I need to know about?
Depends what you need to know about but generally no...
Will the install retain things like communications settings?
If I remember correctly, the first time you install OSX, you have to set up a user for yourself and set all your preferences again..However, you can just copy them from your OS9 prefs which will remain intact...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.