Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I am currently an iPhone 4 user. I have never used a smartphone other than an iPhone. I wouldn't say that I am unhappy with the iPhone, but I decided to switch to a Nexus 4, which I will receive today. I decided to go with Android for one simple reason: I wanted a bigger screen. I decided that to me all other pros and cons of iOS vs. Andriod were not as important as screen size.

Some backround information on my pre-switch status:

I currently run my iPhone 4 unlocked on Straight Talk. The Nexus 4 appealed to me because it is also unlocked and because of the price. But price was not the deciding factor as I also considered an unlocked "T-Mobile" iPhone 5 or a used 4S. I just want to pop in my straight talk sim and go. I also wanted a phone that would certainly get the next Android update in a timely manner.

I am in an all Apple household. Both my wife and I use Macs. We have 3 AppleTVs. We use an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express. I have an iPad 2 and an iPod classic. I sync with iCloud. I use iPhoto and iTunes. I use Photostream. I have purchased many iOS apps over the years. Frankly, being so entrenched in the iOS/Apple ecosystem is my main concern about making the switch. But reseach I have done here and on other sites leads me to believe that these concerns are easily addressed via Andriod or apps from the Play store.

I do not play games on my phone. I use my phone for what most people do: web, email, phone, photos, video, streaming audio from tunein or Google Music, news apps, weather, etc. I don't use any niche apps, or at least heavily. I am not jailbroken.

The first thing I will do is transition from iCloud to Google services for contacts and calendar. I will also need to do this on my iPad and Mac, but I used this setup before iCloud existed, so I am comfortable with that. I am already a Gmail and Google Music user, so I should be set there. I don't plan on immediately installing Android versions of apps that I currently have. Instead I plan to install them as I need them.

I wanted to post this thread to share my experiences over the coming days to hopefully help others with the decision to switch. I will also be happy to answer any questions. I will post my initial impressions of the device after I get home from work and have some time to set it up.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am currently an iPhone 4 user. I have never used a smartphone other than an iPhone. I wouldn't say that I am unhappy with the iPhone, but I decided to switch to a Nexus 4, which I will receive today. I decided to go with Android for one simple reason: I wanted a bigger screen. I decided that to me all other pros and cons of iOS vs. Andriod were not as important as screen size.

I currently run my iPhone 4 unlocked on Straight Talk. The Nexus 4 appealed to me because it is also unlocked and because of the price. But price was not the deciding factor as I also considered an unlocked "T-Mobile" iPhone 5 or a used 4S. I just want to pop in my straight talk sim and go. I also wanted a phone that would certainly get the next Android update in a timely manner.

I am in an all Apple household. Both my wife and I use Macs. We have 3 AppleTVs. We use an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express. I have an iPad 2 and an iPod classic. I sync with iCloud. I use iPhoto and iTunes. I use Photostream. I have purchased many iOS apps over the years. Frankly, being so entrenched in the iOS/Apple ecosystem is my main concern about making the switch. But reseach I have done here and on other sites leads me to believe that these concerns are easily addressed via Andriod or apps from the Play store.

I do not play games on my phone. I use my phone for what most people do: web, email, phone, photos, video, streaming audio from tunein or Google Music, news apps, weather, etc. I don't use any niche apps, or at least heavily. I am not jailbroken.

The first thing I will do is transition from iCloud to Google services for contacts and calendar. I will also need to do this on my iPad and Mac, but I used this setup before iCloud existed, so I am comfortable with that. I am already a Gmail and Google Music user, so I should be set there. I don't plan on immediately installing Android versions of apps that I currently have. Instead I plan to install them as I need them.

I wanted to post this thread to share my experiences over the coming days to hopefully help others with the decision to switch. I will also be happy to answer any questions. I will post my initial impressions of the device after I get home from work and have some time to set it up.

It sounds like you know what to do to make the transition. It is good that you still have the ipad b.c you will need that for the airports and airplay. My set up is virtually the same. I use the nexus 4, but have an ipad since I use appletv and airports.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Sweet - the Nexus 4 is my first Android smartphone as well. Its a great phone and for the price, you can't beat it.

I'll just say initially, if you don't want to switch from iCloud to Google services (I know you said you were comfortable with the switch, I figured I'd offer up my experience and $0.02 anyways) - there are some great tools that make the transition really easy.

I still use all Apple products, aside from my N4 and didn't want to have to change over to all new services. I use CardDav sync and CalDav sync for my iCloud contacts and calendars, Google Music hooks up to iTunes nicely so everytime I purchase through iTunes it shows up everywhere, including my Nexus 4 without me having to do anything, and K9 email is just about the best email client I've found and it syncs up your iCloud emails perfectly (with the exception that every Android mail client has - you can't zoom out to see the entire email at once, for whatever reason).

I haven't looked into syncing up Photostream, though I doubt there's a way and simply use dropbox which auto syncs my photos in my two phones (I still use my iPhone 5 to take photos - the N4 camera isn't that great).

Other than that, some apps I've found fun and useful in the switch:

-Nova Prime Launcher
-Dashclock
-LightFlow (for managing the notification light - somewhat handy at times, and annoying at others)
-Falcon Pro (twitter client)
-Power toggles
-Tasker (if you are technically inclined, this is a cool app to write different automated tasks and whatnot)

Hope you enjoy the phone - coming from an iP4 I'm sure you'll notice a nice speed increase and higher quality display. Just watch the battery life :D

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I also have a Nexus 4 with all other devices being Apple (iPad mini, Apple tv, 2 iPod Classics, MBP) I find that Google contacts, calendar and mail suits me great. My old eyes also appreciate the larger screen. Enjoy your new phone. :)

slu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them all. Especially the iCloud sync stuff.

Does anybody recommend the wireless charging station?

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Also, make sure you sign up for box.net. LG Nexus 4 owners get a free 50GB account. Add this to DropBox and Google Drive and you've got yourself a cool 60GB in the cloud.

Secondly, check this out:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...best-apps-22apr-camera-fv-5-shot-control.html

It's worth considering rooting and installing a custom rom/kernel. It's a LOT easier on these 2013 Android devices. Most of the steps are automated with a batch/terminal file and a better kernel gives you: Improved processor performance, better battery life, more stability.

Spend some time trying out widgets and see how you like your home screen to look. Also check out PIE and see if you can get used to not having the drag down notification center and three buttons at the bottom. I got used to PIE so I don't mind losing the static buttons in favor of more viewable screen area.

Also, for headsets, remember that most three button headsets don't work on the Nexus 4 so a headset with a mic and a pause/play button should be all you need. I would consider the Klipsch S4A's or even the JVC HXF101's.

A few app recommendations: Pulse, SwiftKey, The Weather Channel, My Class Schedule (If you're in school), Dropbox, Box.net, Apollo music player, Color Note, Juice Defender, Lightflow Lite (Let's you set up camera flash/LED blinks for SMS/Gmail notifications and more, it's REALLY cool), Power Toggles (control your wifi, 4g, bluetooth and brightness from a button based widget), Evernote (syncs between different devices).

Also upload your music to your Google Drive so you can access it with Play Music app. This will save you considerable space on your phone from music.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Sweet - the Nexus 4 is my first Android smartphone as well. Its a great phone and for the price, you can't beat it.

I'll just say initially, if you don't want to switch from iCloud to Google services (I know you said you were comfortable with the switch, I figured I'd offer up my experience and $0.02 anyways) - there are some great tools that make the transition really easy.

I still use all Apple products, aside from my N4 and didn't want to have to change over to all new services. I use CardDav sync and CalDav sync for my iCloud contacts and calendars, Google Music hooks up to iTunes nicely so everytime I purchase through iTunes it shows up everywhere, including my Nexus 4 without me having to do anything, and K9 email is just about the best email client I've found and it syncs up your iCloud emails perfectly (with the exception that every Android mail client has - you can't zoom out to see the entire email at once, for whatever reason).

I haven't looked into syncing up Photostream, though I doubt there's a way and simply use dropbox which auto syncs my photos in my two phones (I still use my iPhone 5 to take photos - the N4 camera isn't that great).

Other than that, some apps I've found fun and useful in the switch:

-Nova Prime Launcher
-Dashclock
-LightFlow (for managing the notification light - somewhat handy at times, and annoying at others)
-Falcon Pro (twitter client)
-Power toggles
-Tasker (if you are technically inclined, this is a cool app to write different automated tasks and whatnot)

Hope you enjoy the phone - coming from an iP4 I'm sure you'll notice a nice speed increase and higher quality display. Just watch the battery life :D

The gmail app allows you to zoom and auto-fits the emails.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The gmail app allows you to zoom and auto-fits the emails.

Ya - but then I have to funnel all my emails through my gmail account.....no thanks.

Would be nice if Google paid as much attention to their stock mail apps as they did their gmail one.

And why are there two? That irritates me to no end.....I have having multiple apps for the same thing.

slu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Also, make sure you sign up for box.net. LG Nexus 4 owners get a free 50GB account. Add this to DropBox and Google Drive and you've got yourself a cool 60GB in the cloud.

Secondly, check this out:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...best-apps-22apr-camera-fv-5-shot-control.html

It's worth considering rooting and installing a custom rom/kernel. It's a LOT easier on these 2013 Android devices. Most of the steps are automated with a batch/terminal file and a better kernel gives you: Improved processor performance, better battery life, more stability.

Spend some time trying out widgets and see how you like your home screen to look. Also check out PIE and see if you can get used to not having the drag down notification center and three buttons at the bottom. I got used to PIE so I don't mind losing the static buttons in favor of more viewable screen area.

Also, for headsets, remember that most three button headsets don't work on the Nexus 4 so a headset with a mic and a pause/play button should be all you need. I would consider the Klipsch S4A's or even the JVC HXF101's.

A few app recommendations: Pulse, SwiftKey, The Weather Channel, My Class Schedule (If you're in school), Dropbox, Box.net, Apollo music player, Color Note, Juice Defender, Lightflow Lite (Let's you set up camera flash/LED blinks for SMS/Gmail notifications and more, it's REALLY cool), Power Toggles (control your wifi, 4g, bluetooth and brightness from a button based widget), Evernote (syncs between different devices).

Also upload your music to your Google Drive so you can access it with Play Music app. This will save you considerable space on your phone from music.

Thanks! Do you know if Apple EarPods work with the Nexus 4?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Thanks! Do you know if Apple EarPods work with the Nexus 4?

They do.

Listening right now :D

The on-wire controls even work.

Question - while we're here:

Does anyone know of a way to import playlists from iTunes into Google Music? It doesn't sound like its possible but I figured I'd ask people more knowledgeable than myself.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Ya - but then I have to funnel all my emails through my gmail account.....no thanks.

Would be nice if Google paid as much attention to their stock mail apps as they did their gmail one.

And why are there two? That irritates me to no end.....I have having multiple apps for the same thing.

iPhone works best with Apple services, Android works best with Google services. Not that complicated to figure out.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
They do.

Listening right now :D

The on-wire controls even work.

Question - while we're here:

Does anyone know of a way to import playlists from iTunes into Google Music? It doesn't sound like its possible but I figured I'd ask people more knowledgeable than myself.

It should sync those just like your music. Do none of your playlist show up in Google music?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
iPhone works best with Apple services, Android works best with Google services. Not that complicated to figure out.

Except that Apple has one stock email app that works well while Google, for whatever reason, gives you two. And the regular one sucks compared to the gmail one.

Why not simply offer a great stock email app? Has nothing to do with Google services/gmail use....

----------

It should sync those just like your music. Do none of your playlist show up in Google music?

Nope

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

I think they have the default there for you to add exchange and any other email you have. I never really thought about it until you said something. I just use the gmail app and yahoo all for my email. I have a work email that is an exchange one, so I use the stock one for that. Kind of stupid I know, but it works for me.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Where did he mention Apple in his inquiry? This has nothing to do with Apple. Jeez, troll much? And if you really want to that route--Apple's email client offers the exact same functionality regardless of your email service--they don't offer a special email client with better features that only works with iCloud accounts.

I completely agree regarding the email app though I do understand why Google may be doing this--probably to encourage use of their email service. Regardless, it's terribly irritating.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Where did he mention Apple in his inquiry? This has nothing to do with Apple. Jeez, troll much. And if you really want to that route--Apple's email client offers the exact same functionality regardless of your email service--they don't offer a special email client with better features that only works with iCloud accounts.

I completely agree regarding the email app though I do understand why Google may be doing this--probably to encourage use of their email service. Regardless, it's terribly irritating.

Thank you - the funniest part is, I use gmail as well as iCloud. I have different email accounts for different things - my iCloud happens to be my main email address I use for family, friends and bills and such. My gmail account is kind of my "give out" account and my yahoo account is my gaming account.

I don't want to have two apps to check all of these - I also don't want to have to forward all these accounts to gmail as I keep them separate for a reason - generally, I'll know what type of email it is and if I need to delete or respond just be seeing which account it comes in under.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Except that Apple has one stock email app that works well while Google, for whatever reason, gives you two. And the regular one sucks compared to the gmail one.

Why not simply offer a great stock email app? Has nothing to do with Google services/gmail use....

----------

Nope

I just swiped over to the playlist section on Google music and all my playlist are right there.

See this is what I see.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366745252621.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366745252621.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 177

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I just swiped over to the playlist section on Google music and all my playlist are right there.

See this is what I see.

Ok, but how did you upload your music to Play Music? And where did you create the playlists in the first place?

EDIT: A quick google search yielded there is a setting within the music manager app I can switch to sync playlists as well. I'll have to try it out at home. Will let you know if it works!

Thanks for asking the question/saying something - I was reserved to the fact I'd have to re-make all my playlists. Now, maybe, I won't have to!

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Ok, but how did you upload your music to Play Music? And where did you create the playlists in the first place?

So do you not have any music in your play music app? Also I created all those playlist on my iPhone or in iTunes and it syncs through Google music.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So do you not have any music in your play music app? Also I created all those playlist on my iPhone or in iTunes and it syncs through Google music.

See edited post - I have music on my Nexus in Play Music.....just no playlists. Must not have the setting checked. I'll look into it when I get home.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

So being that you are heavy invested in Apple as well as your family it might be kind of hard at first, but nothing major. Thing to remember is no matter how much different it seems at first just give it time. Don't give up after a few things don't work the way you thought or are use to. If you have problems just post us a question we are glad to help. We all have been in the same place you are at some point. The one major thing that might take some getting use to is the keyboard. Coming from the iOS keyboard the android one is much different, but I think it offers a little more. Again don't be afraid to ask question.

I think it is a really good idea to just download the apps as you need them. That is how I have always done it. Sometimes you will find you never needed them, or you find something you like better. There is one app that I don't like as much on android and that is Tapatalk. For some reason on the android one they don't have push notifications. I am not sure if you use the app, but that is what I am using to type this message.

If I could compare the switch to anything. For me it was like going from a Windows computer to a Mac. In that you can do all the same things the old device does just in a much different way.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Good luck. I currently switch between an iPhone 5 and Nexus 4.

For your e-mail, I use MailDroid. It is a lot better than the stock e-mail client on the Nexus. I hope you enjoy it!

slu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo

EDIT: A quick google search yielded there is a setting within the music manager app I can switch to sync playlists as well. I'll have to try it out at home. Will let you know if it works!

Thanks for asking the question/saying something - I was reserved to the fact I'd have to re-make all my playlists. Now, maybe, I won't have to!

I don't think it syncs smart playlist though. Mine don't sync anyway.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't think it syncs smart playlist though. Mine don't sync anyway.

That makes sense - I don't use smart playlists anyway. At least, not that I care to transfer over. Mainly concerned with transferring my 400+ song "Favorites" playlist....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.