Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Not sure if this is in the right thread, but:
is there a program that comes with osx or that u can get that will auto-sync your files on ur laptop with ur desktop? i dont mean a full transfer though, i mean something that just resyncs the way an ipod would.
im considering geting a desktop, but want to kno if i really need one, or if i shud just get a display.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Check out Chronosync.

I use it to keep my thumb drive synced with both of my desktops. The bi-direction sync is really nice. Works great if i write a paper at school save it to the drive then plug the thumb drive in to a computer and sync it. It is kinda a idiot proof way of making sure you don't accidentlly delete something, or forget to transfer something.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
chronosync looks like itd do the job...
does anything think thers really any benefit to getting an iMac and syncing over getting a 23" screen and plugging in my macbook to it?

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
chronosync looks like itd do the job...
does anything think thers really any benefit to getting an iMac and syncing over getting a 23" screen and plugging in my macbook to it?

I like having two separate computers. Sometimes you just need the extra horse power of a desktop that can not be provided by a portable. I like having an iBook and an iMac much more then just plugging a display into my iBook (screen spanning aside).

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I have an iMac and a POwerbook and I use Chronosync to make sure that the Documents folder on each is the same.

It's great, make a change or either computer and the change is copied over to the other.

ctsport1234

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2005
I like having two separate computers. Sometimes you just need the extra horse power of a desktop that can not be provided by a portable. I like having an iBook and an iMac much more then just plugging a display into my iBook (screen spanning aside).

what if your laptop were to be more powerful than your desktop? (as in your laptop was purchased more recently) what other benefits do you get with two computers?

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
what if your laptop were to be more powerful than your desktop? (as in your laptop was purchased more recently) what other benefits do you get with two computers?

The fact that you have a dedicated desktop. The HD on my iMac is about 20GB from being full. If i only had a notebook I would have to have multiple externals to put all the stuff on or get a bigger internal drive. While possible i prefer to not have a lot of stuff on my notebook. I have about 25GB worth of music, that alone would take up most of the space on my notebooks HD. Since i have a desktop and notebook i have about 5GB of music on the notebook.

I do have 2 externals as it is. One for iBook backup and one for iMac backup. The one i use for the iBook is partitioned so that the remaining part can be used for storage of stuff, like DVD backups and stuff like that.

What it comes down to is there are times when having a separate desktop and laptop is very nice.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Thanks for the link to Chronosync. I was looking for something that's as good as the free Synctoy from Microsoft. This looks as though it might do the job.

Glad i could help. it defiantly helps with keeping all my school files together so that i don't accidentally leave something on the wrong computer or delete something that i needed.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
well my real predicament is that i have a 12" powerbook, but am getting a macbook from work. im also a student and live in an on campus apartment (so ive my own decently sized room).
im wondering whether i shud sell my powerbook straight off, or trade it for an iMac.

im trying to determine if having a second computer is really neccesary. id love it for fun, but i dont really think id need it. besides, i could buy a 20" acd after selling my powerbook and still have some money left over.

thanks for everyones input though! and i still think chronosync is useful as heck, and i might make use of it one day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.