Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I purchased a book in epub format directly from the author and not through the Apple Store. I was able to get this book on my iPad via iTunes. On all of my iDevices I have "Sync Collections" turned on, and created a new collection to hold this and similar books.

The collection itself immediately synced across the devices, but the book itself did not.

Is it only store-purchased books that sync across devices via iCloud? Is there a way to sync titles purchased outside the Apple system across devices, or is one limited with non-Apple purchases to use iTunes and a wire (or wifi) to get titles to separate devices?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
On all of my iDevices I have "Sync Collections" turned on, and created a new collection to hold this and similar books.
You also need to open the device in iTunes, and in Books settings select "Sync Books". "Sync bookmarks, highlights, and collections across devices" syncs metadata but not the books themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.