Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I'm talking about LTE throttling. There is no active throttle at all times.

Yes, there's a QoS system in place during calls, but that's it. The throttle line for the old unlimited plan is 5gb on LTE, but I go past that all the time. Haven't been throttled in a long time. Even then, I still got around 1 mbps.

I have read the fine-print. Let's not pretend that TMobile doesn't have any. They reserve the right to terminate you for excessive or abnormal use at any point, even if you didn't sign a contract. And they run a stringent QoS algorithm for bandwidth, like every carrier. LTE seems to be rate limited in many areas for TMo.

http://deals.t-mobile.com/unlimited-4g-data-no-contract?cm_sp=tmo-_-planspage-_-learnmore
That's why I chose the unlimited HS data plan instead of the limited one#

yehudah72

macrumors regular
May 4, 2008
T-Mo LTE in La Jolla

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 104

yehudah72

macrumors regular
May 4, 2008
I'm talking about LTE throttling. There is no active throttle at all times.

Yes, there's a QoS system in place during calls, but that's it. The throttle line for the old unlimited plan is 5gb on LTE, but I go past that all the time. Haven't been throttled in a long time. Even then, I still got around 1 mbps.

I have read the fine-print. Let's not pretend that TMobile doesn't have any. They reserve the right to terminate you for excessive or abnormal use at any point, even if you didn't sign a contract. And they run a stringent QoS algorithm for bandwidth, like every carrier. LTE seems to be rate limited in many areas for TMo.

http://deals.t-mobile.com/unlimited-4g-data-no-contract?cm_sp=tmo-_-planspage-_-learnmore

What I do notice is that during calls my iP5 drops the LTE to 4G... Reminds me of the 2G network; that drops off the EDGE network when on a call. So I haven't been able to run a speed test on LTE while on a call!!!

Is that how LTE works???

LTE speed test, not on a call:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 78

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
What I do notice is that during calls my iP5 drops the LTE to 4G... Reminds me of the 2G network; that drops off the EDGE network when on a call. So I haven't been able to run a speed test on LTE while on a call!!!

Is that how LTE works???

Yes, that is correct. LTE is data only and doesn't support voice. VoLTE will come eventually. You will drop down to HSPA for voice/data, and once you end the call, iPhone will jump back onto LTE. This only applies to GSM devices though.

Since voice runs over 1x for VZW customers, some phones have the hardware to support simultaneous LTE/CDMA connections, so you can be on LTE, while on a phone call. iPhone doesn't support it, but most recent Androids do.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Click the icon on the top left of the iPhone app. Then click on T-Mobile LTE. The attachment is a screen capture of Detroit.

Ok, that's flipping weird. I swear on my mother's grave that there was not a line for TMobile LTE in the list on my iPhone yesterday. But I just checked again today in the app and it's there now. I wonder if it's because yesterday, when I loaded up the app for the first time, it didn't know where my location was until I told the iPhone this app could use it, so maybe it defaulted to a market where there was no TMobile LTE. But I do see it there now for the Detroit area. Go figure!

Thanks, Coleman!

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Ok, that's flipping weird. I swear on my mother's grave that there was not a line for TMobile LTE in the list on my iPhone yesterday. But I just checked again today in the app and it's there now. I wonder if it's because yesterday, when I loaded up the app for the first time, it didn't know where my location was until I told the iPhone this app could use it, so maybe it defaulted to a market where there was no TMobile LTE. But I do see it there now for the Detroit area. Go figure!

Thanks, Coleman!
If you're near any of those areas with T-Mobile LTE go there and run a speedtest. I'm curious to see your results.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I saw this over on the HowardForums.

LTE lit up in Northen NJ - Passaic County (Passaic / Clifton Area) this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0508.PNG
    IMG_0508.PNG
    788.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0509.PNG
    IMG_0509.PNG
    82.4 KB · Views: 74

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
Where?

I've not seen it near 85, traveling between Decatur and Duluth.

Off 285 the Lawrenceville highway exit. Went to a CVS near there and LTE stayed on her iPhone until we went in the building. It came back on briefly but disappeared again as we got closer to the 85/285 interchange.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Off 285 the Lawrenceville highway exit. Went to a CVS near there and LTE stayed on her iPhone until we went in the building. It came back on briefly but disappeared again as we got closer to the 85/285 interchange.

Bizarre, down the road from there now and no LTE :(

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
It's probably testing and probably just one tower somewhere in the area for now. I don't actually live in ATL though I was just visiting some friends so I couldn't tell you how consistent it is right now.

yehudah72

macrumors regular
May 4, 2008

I've lost LTE when entering buildings n comes back on after I leave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.