Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hello12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
T-mobile will have 4G up in March they say. But, when I go to the settings on my phone there is only an option to turn 3G on, not an option to turn 4G on.

My phone is the iphone 5, factory unlocked... when t-mobile rolls out the 4g will I automatically see it?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
When they say 4G they are talking about HSPA+ not LTE. HSPA+ will display as 3G with t-mobile. LTE won't be up till latter in 2013 in "some" markets. Once they have LTE up then you will see it.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
T-mobile will have 4G up in March they say. But, when I go to the settings on my phone there is only an option to turn 3G on, not an option to turn 4G on.

My phone is the iphone 5, factory unlocked... when t-mobile rolls out the 4g will I automatically see it?

T-Mobile USA markets their HSPA+ as "4G" -- although it's technically not, the network speeds can definitely be considered 4G.

They are expected to begin rolling out their 4G LTE (Long Term Evolution) network early 2013.

If you have HSPA+ coverage in your area, from what I know, your device should automatically connect to it.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
T-mobile CTO Neville Rays says, they have "refarmed" 23 cities covering 100 million population for 3G. The reality is what they have now is a joke. Do not waste a nice phone such as an iPhone 5 on T-mobile. I bought one after Apple released the unlocked AT&T version and my city Minneapolis and St. Cloud were "refarmed". It was a cruel joke. After 2 weeks of spotty 3G and Edge coverage and dropped calls, I changed back to my SGS2 Android devices. Do not waste your money on T-mobile. They do not even have a 3G coverage map on their web site. They link you to a Rootmetrics web site that compares AT&T and T-mobile coverage maps. But guess what the tiny print says it is signal not data speeds! So beware of the scam T-mobile is pulling. They lost 1 million post paid customers who moved to other networks for iPhone. With the shoddy network more people will flood to AT&T and Verizon. One gets what one pays for.

hello12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
T-mobile CTO Neville Rays says, they have "refarmed" 23 cities covering 100 million population for 3G. The reality is what they have now is a joke. Do not waste a nice phone such as an iPhone 5 on T-mobile. I bought one after Apple released the unlocked AT&T version and my city Minneapolis and St. Cloud were "refarmed". It was a cruel joke. After 2 weeks of spotty 3G and Edge coverage and dropped calls, I changed back to my SGS2 Android devices. Do not waste your money on T-mobile. They do not even have a 3G coverage map on their web site. They link you to a Rootmetrics web site that compares AT&T and T-mobile coverage maps. But guess what the tiny print says it is signal not data speeds! So beware of the scam T-mobile is pulling. They lost 1 million post paid customers who moved to other networks for iPhone. With the shoddy network more people will flood to AT&T and Verizon. One gets what one pays for.

Haha. You are wrong.. I have had T-mobile for 7 years, and have not had an iphone up until the past month. Their coverage on their frequencies was great when I had my android.
Now that I have the iphone 5, I have noticed a significant increase in the 3G areas and it is getting better and better. Yes, its still a little spotty, and not very good in buildings yet, but they are continuing to update the service. When my phone says 3G, it is super fast - I don't even desire LTE because of this thing called wifi.
Also, I use wifi when I am at home, or whenever there is wifi around for me to use... and plus T-mobile plans are CHEAP and the service is not that bad.
Finally, since they are getting the iphone 5, they are obviously confident in getting their new service to the areas that they currently cover, and the millions of people with iPhones that are trapped by Verizon and AT&T might finally wake up and flock over, because quite honestly they're getting ripped off

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Haha. You are wrong.. I have had T-mobile for 7 years, and have not had an iphone up until the past month. Their coverage on their frequencies was great when I had my android.
Now that I have the iphone 5, I have noticed a significant increase in the 3G areas and it is getting better and better. Yes, its still a little spotty, and not very good in buildings yet, but they are continuing to update the service. When my phone says 3G, it is super fast - I don't even desire LTE because of this thing called wifi.
Also, I use wifi when I am at home, or whenever there is wifi around for me to use... and plus T-mobile plans are CHEAP and the service is not that bad.
Finally, since they are getting the iphone 5, they are obviously confident in getting their new service to the areas that they currently cover, and the millions of people with iPhones that are trapped by Verizon and AT&T might finally wake up and flock over, because quite honestly they're getting ripped off

True..............

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.