Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lankox

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
How can this be for "ALL" Simple choice plans and then they say you have to have Binge On which requires 3GB or higher? This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
This is an incredibly smart idea. Rather than trying to sell high data-cap plans to customers by telling them unrelatable numbers--like how many hours of video or how many songs they can download--instead, let them *live* it for a while and see what it's like.

I bet a ton of their 1GB subscribers up their plans after this ends in February.
It is a great advertising tactic, but it's funny--I'm a 1GB subscriber, and despite having a latest-model iPhone for two years in a row I've never hit that cap. I'm sure the situation is different for people who spend a lot of time on public transit or watch a lot of streaming video, but I've actually been really surprised at how far 1GB of data goes.

Reactions: nostaws

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
T-Mobile randomly gave me a year of unlimited data at no extra charge. It is almost over (sadness) but it was a great customer loyalty move. I'm sure their intention is to get customers used to unlimited so they don't go back but it really just showed me that even when I am not careful with data at all I only break 3gb a month (my regular plan) very occasionally.

Still it is wonderful not to have to worry about data limits.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
This is an incredibly smart idea. Rather than trying to sell high data-cap plans to customers by telling them unrelatable numbers--like how many hours of video or how many songs they can download--instead, let them *live* it for a while and see what it's like.

I bet a ton of their 1GB subscribers up their plans after this ends in February.

There shouldn't be any more 1GB customers because they should have gotten their free upgrade to 2GB by now.

Reactions: dugbug

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
For ppl like me already on unlimited (if you need 4 lines)
Mike Seivert Twitter:

Something very special for Unlimited 4G LTE customers this holiday season as well! BEST DEAL EVER 4 lines for $180 ($45/line!!). But Hurry!

Pezboy

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2015
It is a great advertising tactic, but it's funny--I'm a 1GB subscriber, and despite having a latest-model iPhone for two years in a row I've never hit that cap. I'm sure the situation is different for people who spend a lot of time on public transit or watch a lot of streaming video, but I've actually been really surprised at how far 1GB of data goes.
That's amazing! You are really not getting your money worth on your data or your phones true awesomeness. Last month i used 178GB of date on my T-mobile plan. That's average for me.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Slightly off topic (as I'm in the UK) but previously Vodafone UK offered three months' Unlimited Data when you joined the network or upgraded with them.

I'm not sure when they changed it but you only get two months' now.

Luckily I upgraded back in September so have until Christmas Eve to use Unlimited Data. Good job they offer this "deal" as I've used nearly 50GB!

sfpbth7

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
Perfect decision. As a former Att customer, I'm happy with everything that TMO does and appreciate how they affect the entire business in a good way.

However they need to improve the coverage so bad..
That is why I have not switched, no reception at my job.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
This is the kind of promo without neglecting the current customers. I'm tired all the promos that only benefits the new customers. Way to go John Legere, now put more towers then we're talking.

But our data plans were not doubled in the recently announced plan. To have the data doubled, I would have to jump through some hoops - even though I have been a customer since 1997 and we have 5 lines on the Simple Choice plan.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
And that's exactly why they are doing it. It gets them great publicity and doesn't cost them much since probably 90% of people already have a plan that is big enough for the amount of data they will use.
Explicit phone subsidies that stop when the phone is paid off, Sprint halving prices, T-Mobile giving out free unlimited high-speed data...
From what I remember those phone subsidies that stop when the phone is paid off were a bit of a hidden price increase, when EDGE and NEXT were started they were a terrible deal unless you wanted to upgrade early as they were pretty close to the old two year contract price, that would get you a subsidy, plus you had to make the phone payment which led you to paying quite a bit more. Now their contract prices have also risen to mostly match up, but that still doesn't mean it is a great deal.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
I've been an AT&T customer since the iPhone 3GS release day. I switched because, back then, they were the only carrier to offer the iPhone. I've stuck with them up until now.

However, I've been considering moving to T-Mobile for a few months now. I'll be paying close attention to what they do with this promotion, and they might gain our family as customers as a result.

AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint should all be very concerned about what T-Mobile is doing. They seem to be the main company trying to help customers instead of overcharging them.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
How can this be for "ALL" Simple choice plans and then they say you have to have Binge On which requires 3GB or higher? This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
T-Mobile made screwed up them marketing a bit.

Binge On is 2 things: (1) compression and (2) free video streaming.

Binge On compression is available on most postpaid plans. It should be enabled by default and you can toggle it by going to My T-Mobile Profile page, then Media Settings. If Binge On is set to ON, T-Mobile will apply ~3x data compression and serve 480p video for select streaming services.

Binge On "Free" Video Streaming requires 3GB or higher plan (which should double to 6GB).

Reactions: JAT

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's amazing! You are really not getting your money worth on your data or your phones true awesomeness. Last month i used 178GB of date on my T-mobile plan. That's average for me.
Or, you know, everyone has their own needs.

Reactions: nostaws

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
And my friends keep saying T-Mobile sucks. Yes, coverage is questionable (in our area) I will give them that, but as a company, they whoop Verizon and AT&T's asses.

Reactions: iAbc21

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Something, something, something... this is why we can't have nice things. By any measure, that's a massive amount of data for an individual. What are you doing? Running Draft Kings or Fan Duel?

Odat

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014
Down South
Sounds good but T-Mobile should spend their money on upgrading their weak network!. I've had phones on all 3 networks and T-Mobile is by far the worst when it comes to coverage!.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Sounds good but T-Mobile should spend their money on upgrading their weak network!. I've had phones on all 3 networks and T-Mobile is by far the worst when it comes to coverage!.
But they have been doing just that over the last 6 months or so, their coverage is substantially better. There are still weak areas, but they are working on them. Just remember every new tower has to be approved by the city, the tenant(s) of the building, the property owner and sever others in many cases. Meaning these take time to put up, it's not always a matter of cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.