Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

displayblock

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2014
For Retina HD displays, it's not the physical size of the screen that matters, it's the pixel count.

For those who bought the 6S Plus, you're stretching 853×480 pixels across 1920x1080. For the iPad Air 2, you're stretching 853x480 across 2048×1536.

It'd be great if T-Mobile actually did some "optimization" to reduce artifacts and improve sharpness for the 2.25x enlargement, but that'd be a technological marvel. An innovation worth writing home about.

Choking the pipe video runs through is hardly revolutionary. I wouldn't care since I don't stream outside my home, but it'd definitely be a noticeable difference. At least it's optional, although most people aren't sharp enough to figure out why their screen suddenly looks less sharp than when they bought it or what exactly to do about it.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
What? Please correct me if I'm wrong. You always "pay" for your data (bandwidth) based on your plan. With a binge "partner" you simply DO NOT pay. If you opted out of binge, you still "pay" just as you do now.

I think that's exactly what I said, partner content is free, the rest of the internet requires payment.

If there was no opt-out, this would be a violation of net neutrality with the partners and all and preference given to content providers who pay. It should be opt-in, but there is no net neutrality violations in any case.

Well, I suppose that's your legal opinion. We'll have to wait and see what the FCC and/or courts say. Personally, I hope it gets quashed quickly, because it's a bad precedent that undermines Net Neutrality.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
I have the 10gb plan and love binge on, I can watch nfl games from gamepass in 480 which is great quality and use way less data than before.

Here is a screenshot while watching the game in 480p.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 688
Reactions: Gasu E.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Gota love this guy as a CEO... could you imagine him as CEO of Apple? Imagine what product introductions would be like?

Just like he's giving TMobile customers more, as Apple CEO he'd be giving us more.... more storage on iPhone (no more 16GB as base), more RAM standard (no more 4GB RAM on base), more performance (no more 5,400 rpm HDD on iMac), more ports (more than 1 USB-C connector on MacBook),.... :mad:

Reactions: patjem and iAbc21

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
It's not just about the resolution. Under Binge On, data streaming is free. UNLESS, you want to stream content from a non-approved (i.e. non-partner) provider. In that case, you have to pay a fee for that content. This is the very definition of what the FCC's new Net Neutrality rules make illegal (e.g. "No paid prioritization")

What fee are you talking about? Binge-On partners don't have to pay anything. From a customer perspective its opt out and your in a no worse position then before Bjnge-On, it does nothing but bring benefit to the customer if they so choose.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
I haven't watched the article video...but why does John Legere always look like someone trying to raise cash for United Way or ASPCA?

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Absolutely no way is that picture synonymous with 480p quality on a 5" screen.

I agree. I'm calling crap on that. I just loaded up a netflix video on my 6s which utilizes T-Mobile and it looks nothing like that.. On a 5" screen it looks relatively close to his 720p picture.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Gota love this guy as a CEO... could you imagine him as CEO of Apple? Imagine what product introductions would be like?
Actually Im fairly impressed with T-Mobile lately. Their coverage is expanding vastly just in one year and John seems to be on his A game. If they keep it up, when I move to my own line soon they very well have a new customer coming!

I think the controversy with this is that nobody knew what was going on. If it was opt in people would complain their data was being eaten and if it was opt out, they would complain because their video quality was poor. I think it was handled well and theres no pleasing everyone, but this letter clarified it up.

Reactions: iAbc21

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
It's not just about the resolution. Under Binge On, data streaming is free. UNLESS, you want to stream content from a non-approved (i.e. non-partner) provider. In that case, you have to pay a fee for that content. This is the very definition of what the FCC's new Net Neutrality rules make illegal (e.g. "No paid prioritization")

So what exactly is being "prioritized" here? Resolution and data use has nothing to do with prioritization.

Reactions: garylapointe

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I have the 10gb plan and love binge on, I can watch nfl games from gamepass in 480 which is great quality and use way less data than before.

Here is a screenshot while watching the game in 480p.

Thats not great quality, its barely acceptable, nothing in that image is sharp.

Reactions: bstpierre

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Whether 480P is good enough on a phone screen is neither here nor there. The issue is that T-Mobile have not properly implemented this.

If a content provider hasn't signed up to be part of binge-on then their content shouldn't be downgraded.

It smacks of T-Mobile coming up with a way to reduce the load on their network, rather than upgrading the network to handle the load!

TypeEE

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Am I the only one? I actually love the fact that videos are compressed. I really don't want streaming to drain battery of my phone. 480p is more than enough for me. I too did not avoid watching netflix which I would a few months ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.