T-Mobile Name ID Feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Mar 27, 2013.

1. macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Does anyone know if there is an app or feature for AT&T that does this? It allows you to see who is calling and where they are calling from?

This would be helpful on my IP5 on AT&T

2. macrumors demi-god

I don't understand. AT&T has caller ID. It shows the name and phone number unless the caller is blocking it. If they don't show the number I don't answer it. :)

3. macrumors 68040

boshii

4. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You mean caller ID? Yes, I would assume they have it, the location is simply based off the area code, it won't show you where the person physically is, it will show you where the phone number is based.

5. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

Actually, AT&T shows the number only. If the number happens to match a name in your contacts, then the iPhone will display it.

It IS possible for a carrier to send both Caller ID number and name info, but the name part costs money and requires a siubscription to a database, so most wireless carriers tend to forgo it.

6. macrumors regular

Actually AT&T sends the number and the City/State for the number location. The only way to see the name is if it exists in your contact list.

It is funny though, because, for example, if my son calls my house (AT&T) from his cell, the Caller ID on my home phone will show his wireless number and his name, whereas many of the wireless numbers from other carriers in our area display the number and Wireless Caller for the name.