Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lobbyist

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2008
Montreal, QC
Been asking myself the same question... Could it be that Apple's implementation lets you receive and place calls to/from your carrier cell phone number?

I wonder what the difference is between apples implementation and any other VoIP implementation. Like the idea and hopefully they can cleanly transfer between wifi and cellular.

pxbr

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012
so.. assuming that the bullet listed in the slide 'Wi-Fi Calling'
429349-ios-8-hidden-features.jpg

is NOT actually referring to the 'Continuity' feature announced separately that allows a cell call to be answered on another Mac.. (that some of you may be confusing this with)

then implementing voice over wifi (calling) is actually a very logical move for all next generation cellular networks (& devices).. as the LTE enabled networks & beyond will transition all voice to voice over ip (over whatever transport the carrier supports).. most of today's devices are hybrid data over LTE & voice over GSM/CDMA.. but, will start to transition to both full voice & data over ip over ..[insert future data network here]..

T-Mobile, & a couple of others had basically implemented a discrete voice over ip client & gateways (UMA/GAN) that leveraged a carrier-integrated voice over ip network - as mentioned previously that helped addressed short-comings in their own network coverage, but, also enabled cheap or free calls for anyone that had wifi access..

just to reiterate & at the risk of repetition.. sorry long post.... in the not to distant future all voice will ride whatever underlying data network is available (wifi, cellular, etc..) - the (current) constraint is the degree to which it's been implemented at the carriers infrastructure or client device.. & Apple supporting VoLTE in iOS 8 is great news..

krewger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
Well this is good, t-mobile service sucks. Others are commenting that it still counts against your minutes... I wasn't aware there were plans with minutes still, I've been on unlimited for such a long time now.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Isn't this just FaceTime Audio without the words "FaceTime"?

Am I going to have FaceTime audio call, wifi call and cellular call now?

FTA works only within the Apple ecosystem whereas this is for calling any phone number in the world.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Have You really watched keynote ???
There is no WiFi calling in iOS8 !!!

IT WILL BE POSSIBLE TO ANSWER OR MAKE REGULAR CALL ON IPAD OR MAC.
OF COURSE MAIN CALL WILL BE REDIRECTED FROM IPHONE SO IT WILL WORK LIKE ADVANCED HEADSET.

Telecom is not involved into this operation.

You can answer or make call using for ex iMac when iphone is in the same wifi network laying somwhere else....but it will be regular call from iphone..
Let me know when you are ready to wipe the egg off your face.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I wonder what the difference is between apples implementation and any other VoIP implementation. Like the idea and hopefully they can cleanly transfer between wifi and cellular.

Knowing how the cell service providers think, I suspect the chief difference is the VoIP apps use wifi and it doesn't count toward minutes or data. On the other hand, the cell providers will support using wifi but count it toward minutes or data. If true, yes that means that it's not really costing the cellular providers anything when we're using wifi but they'll bill for it anyway. It seems one of- if not the biggest- goal of everything anymore is to "help" consumers slip into higher tiers for additional revenues.

Personally, I've been calling from Macs for years. Get a good VoIP app and save that data/minutes. VoIP apps on iDevices is another way to do the same.

AppleFan4Life83

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
So someone help me here...

1). I understand what wifi calling is in the sense of Skype and Google Talk and that's what I think of when I hear this. So why does T-Mobile need to sign off on this and why would minutes be involved?

2). I currently have a T-Mobile iPad with data service (no minutes on my plan) and I have cell service with AT&T. Can I use this feature on my iPad or is it only for iPhones?

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
On tmobile wifi calling basically turns your router into a mini cell site, great for areas with poor or no service.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
AppleFan, nobody can probably answer definitively except Apple. They might clarify this soon or maybe not until closer to release. My best guess:

#1 No logical reason. I think it's purely about money. In this case, less service can be delivered (because we're using wifi bandwidth instead of cellular) but they get to tick off minutes/data anyway. From a business perspective, it's brilliant. From a consumer perspective, it's the usual (when it comes to cell providers).

#2 Again a guess: if the question is can you take/make calls on your iPad (via your iPhone AT&T plan), my guess is yes. If the question is can you take/make calls on your Mac via the data plan on the iPad, my guess is no or maybe. I suspect that this "benefit" requires an iPhone. However, maybe it's actually hooked to a cellular plan which might make it work through your iPad data plan. BUT, since Tmobile gives away a little chunk of monthly data each month, I'm going to guess that it will be iPhone-only via some plan that includes cellular voice.

When I first saw this, I briefly thought that maybe the various players were going to do a Republic Wireless thing here- which would be HUGE! But now, I think it's just another "innovation" that helps the biggest, most important customers (those who pay the subsidy for iPhones).

Basically, in my thinking, if this was true wifi calling, the cell phone service providers would be very unhappy with Apple doing this. Much use of this would likely cut right into the goal of tabulating minutes/data. If I'm AT&T, Verizon, etc, I'd be VERY UNHAPPY with such a move. So, Apple would run it by these very important partners and then sell it by showing them how it will cleverly still burn just as much minutes/data while cutting demand on their cellular networks.

Last edited:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

1). I understand what wifi calling is in the sense of Skype and Google Talk and that's what I think of when I hear this. So why does T-Mobile need to sign off on this and why would minutes be involved?

Because the phone number is "owned" by T-Mobile, and "routed" by T-Mobile. (Or whatever company you have your phone through.) So to support VOIP-routed calling to your phone number, you have to have support of the phone number owner. For Skype and Google Talk phone numbers, the phone number is a Skype or Google Talk phone number, not a T-Mobile phone number.

When someone calls your phone number, the phone system knows "that phone number is owned by T-Mobile," and contacts T-Mobile. If T-Mobile doesn't sign-off on WiFi calling, then you don't get it. T-Mobile needs to support routing a call to your phone via data rather than via the cell network.

2). I currently have a T-Mobile iPad with data service (no minutes on my plan) and I have cell service with AT&T. Can I use this feature on my iPad or is it only for iPhones?

They could of course enable that - but we don't have any data on that yet. There is also "voice over LTE" which sends voice over the data connection instead of using the cellular "voice" connection. That would also make voice calls on the iPad possible. But, again, Apple hasn't detailed anything at all about that. Apple might choose to only allow FaceTime audio and video, without allowing you to tie it to a publicly-callable phone number.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
This is a big deal!

FYI on the android side, only certain tmobile skinned phones get this feature. Any kind of stock android device does not get this. Devs have been unable to hack support into other devices. requires tmobile framework files that apparently are going to be included in iOS now. Wowsers. Is this the beginnings of carrier bloat in iOS ?! :p this is one case we can all agree 'bloat' is good.

If I were to switch to tmobile a WiFi calling compatible device is a must.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
Chances are, Verizon is going to be allowing Wi-Fi Calling on iOS 8 to happen as well. There is no reason for them not to, especially because Wi-Fi Calling still charges against plan minutes. If anything it just takes burden off of the cell network. Win for carriers and consumers.

WiFi Calling/Texting does not charge against plan minutes...its been made clear and this was one of the biggest advantages that they pushed WiFi Calling in the first place....but now days does anyone even need to worry? No because every carrier offers UNLIMITED TALK + TEXT.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
In the most basic of terms, Wi-Fi calling makes your Wi-Fi network into sort of a cell site for your phone. Think of being within range of your Wi-Fi router as the same as having 5 bars of service. So those people who need to use cell boosters and such on other carriers don't have the need for those with Wi-Fi calling.

- Wi-Fi calling is different from FaceTime Audio because it's a seamless transition from cellular service to Wi-Fi. It uses your phone number for SMS/MMS/Voice just like normal but over the Wi-Fi network instead of cellular and it can call ANY phone, not just iPhones.

- Based on how it's implemented on Android, Wi-Fi calling doesn't require you to enter some separate app to use it. Just use your phone app just like normal and it just works.

- T-Mobile has offered this for years. It's just that now Apple has finally decided to allow it on the iPhone.

- You can't use it on your iPad because it requires you to have a T-Mobile phone line. iPad only has a mobile broadband number.

- It's good for international use as well because you can use your US phone number just like normal when connected to Wi-Fi in another country.

- AT&T and Verizon currently do not offer it on their networks. It's a carrier issue, nothing to do with Apple because if they wanted they could've implemented it on their Android and Windows devices already.

Overall it's an excellent feature. Allows you to use your phone when in those hard to penetrate buildings and basements. My only complaint is that it doesn't seamlessly handoff calls back to the cellular network when you leave the range of the Wi-Fi. Instead the call will drop and you'll have to call the other person back.

Glad to see Apple finally get on board though. Can't wait for iOS 8.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth

1) WiFi Calling aka Calling + Texting over WiFi does not count against Minutes/Texts at all -- who ever said that does not know what they are talking about -- this is one of the biggest advantages that WiFi Calling had given consumers int he past and its still there.

2) No WiFi Calling requies that you have a active Calling + Texting plan, its not a stand alone VoIP service. Basically "WiFi Calling" is the cheapest and most affordable solution to Indoor Cells like AT&T 3G MicroCell that they give......so your smartphone basically starts treating your WiFi (or any WiFi network that your connect to) like a Cell Tower and starts routing your Calls / Texts through it and because its doing so over a network that the carrier is not paying for == Unlimited Minutes + Texts.

----------

In the most basic of terms, Wi-Fi calling makes your Wi-Fi network into sort of a cell site for your phone. Think of being within range of your Wi-Fi router as the same as having 5 bars of service. So those people who need to use cell boosters and such on other carriers don't have the need for those with Wi-Fi calling.

- Wi-Fi calling is different from FaceTime Audio because it's a seamless transition from cellular service to Wi-Fi. It uses your phone number for SMS/MMS/Voice just like normal but over the Wi-Fi network instead of cellular and it can call ANY phone, not just iPhones.

- Based on how it's implemented on Android, Wi-Fi calling doesn't require you to enter some separate app to use it. Just use your phone app just like normal and it just works.

- T-Mobile has offered this for years. It's just that now Apple has finally decided to allow it on the iPhone.

- You can't use it on your iPad because it requires you to have a T-Mobile phone line. iPad only has a mobile broadband number.

- It's good for international use as well because you can use your US phone number just like normal when connected to Wi-Fi in another country.

- AT&T and Verizon currently do not offer it on their networks. It's a carrier issue, nothing to do with Apple because if they wanted they could've implemented it on their Android and Windows devices already.

Overall it's an excellent feature. Allows you to use your phone when in those hard to penetrate buildings and basements. My only complaint is that it doesn't seamlessly handoff calls back to the cellular network when you leave the range of the Wi-Fi. Instead the call will drop and you'll have to call the other person back.

Glad to see Apple finally get on board though. Can't wait for iOS 8.

Nice post, you beat me to it:D I was in the middle of typing my reply to another member and as soon as I posted I saw your break down haha

mschmalenbach

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
I understand that WiFi Calling relies on a 3rd party's intellectual property (http://www.wificalling.net/whatiswificalling/) , and is an app that cannot be downloaded from an app store but must be included/embedded within the phone's firmware, sitting somewhere between the OS and hardware, or perhaps alongside it.

So it needs special software on the phone that cannot be added/downloaded by the user but must be part of the OS/firmware, AND it needs an appropriately equipped/capable carrier. T-Mobile has it in the US, but apparently nobody else does in quite the same way...

I've had WiFi Calling on my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 for several years and it's excellent. You send/receive calls on your mobile as if it were using the carrier's mobile phone network, but it's going over WiFi, and seamlessly switches between the two modes...

I regularly called people 'normally' even though I had no carrier signal, only WiFi.

This is not 'just another VoIP' app, it's way more sophisticated than that...

If this is coming to iOS 8 that would be ace - I have an iPhone 5S on T-Mobile, as does She Who Must Be Obeyed...

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
WiFi Calling/Texting does not charge against plan minutes...its been made clear and this was one of the biggest advantages that they pushed WiFi Calling in the first place....but now days does anyone even need to worry? No because every carrier offers UNLIMITED TALK + TEXT.

Except some of us choose to pay for the cheaper non-unlimited plans. I don't use a lot of minutes, so a low-minutes plan is generally fine. But it would be nice to have the reassurance that when I'm at home, I will use literally NO minutes. (Plus I have crappy signal at my house, so having perfect WiFi would rock.)

Yes, I'm on T-Mobile.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston

I'm afraid you're incorrect...see this T-Mobile support document: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9997

Wi-Fi calling uses monthly plan minutes for the following:
Calls made from the US to US numbers use plan minutes.

You are correct though, unlimited talk does solve that problem :)

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
Frankly for me this is one of the best features to come out of the keynote today, whatever uk carrier is first to implement this I will be switching to when my contract finishes. Coverage in my house is terrible and trying to make a phone call is like trying to speak through a tin can and string,

All thats needed now is for carriers to sort out cross network hd voice and VOLTE so my phone stops switching to 3g every time it makes a call and it would be a dream. Honestly the most frustrating part of having any smartphone is the terrible audio quality and reliability of voice calls.

----------

I imagine most likely it will work like visual voicemail and require some sort of software being implemented on the carriers backend to allow it.

Most UK carriers already have an app to enable wifi calling. The O2 version is called 'Tu Go. SMS & calls from your mobile number over wifi even when abroad etc.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Others are commenting that it still counts against your minutes... I wasn't aware there were plans with minutes still, I've been on unlimited for such a long time now.

Not sure why I'd want wi-fi calling either. I have unlimited minutes, too (at $20/mo). So why would I be wanting to not just make calls as I normally have on the cell network, instead using my internet service and potentially having issues with it clashing with other network services on the router.

The biggest problem with VoIP phone service (which is what this essentially is) is that nobody is accountable for quality of service. If the calls get dropped or have weird audio delays, your wireless carrier with say "well we don't own the network since it's going over your Internet service so we can't do anything about it" and refer you to your Internet provider. The Internet provider will do their usual speed and latency tests, and when things come out fine by their own QoS standards say "you're getting the service you're paying for" and refer you back to your wireless carrier.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Not sure why I'd want wi-fi calling either. I have unlimited minutes, too (at $20/mo). So why would I be wanting to not just make calls as I normally have on the cell network, instead using my internet service and potentially having issues with it clashing with other network services on the router.

The biggest problem with VoIP phone service (which is what this essentially is) is that nobody is accountable for quality of service. If the calls get dropped or have weird audio delays, your wireless carrier with say "well we don't own the network since it's going over your Internet service so we can't do anything about it" and refer you to your Internet provider. The Internet provider will do their usual speed and latency tests, and when things come out fine by their own QoS standards say "you're getting the service you're paying for" and refer you back to your wireless carrier.

If you're a tmobile user in the boonies (like my parents where I get the dreaded "No Service"), you want this

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If Verizon also offered this service, I personally don't see any reason why I would use it -- at least not in my home. I hope there would be a way to tell the iPhone explicitly not to use Wi-Fi calling. I already have two VoIP phones in my home for business. I don't need a third.

Now, if I could travel internationally and make and receive calls with my Verizon number on Wi-Fi with no roaming charges, that would be spectacular.

pxbr

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012
Some of you guys are missing the point (at least a little) - no offense

Wi-Fi calling is (almost certainly) going to be Apple implementing voice over Wi-Fi & voice over LTE support for the native iOS phone application - & not some separate app or experience (skype, FaceTime, Vonage extensions, jabber, lync, Bria, etc)

Think of it like browsing the internet - where if you are on Wi-Fi iOS routes your traffic via Wi-Fi.. & if you are away from Wi-Fi you will use only cellular.. The most important aspect is the ease of use & seamless user experience - that's not to say that it won't be configurable.

This is good for iOS & will allow users, enterprise customers & carriers to deliver next generation features to the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.