Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
we may not have known this at launch... but apple pulled more then one genius move at the original iPhone launch.

Now i look at it... its unbelievable how perfectly apple designed the iPhone.

See as steve jobs once said
"why use physical keys? what if we come up wiht a great idea later down the road... we cant just stick a new key into everyones phone can we??"

Meanwhile a regular company would have thought
"YeH!! you all love your physical keys... and you know what?? if we come up with a great idea we'll just stick it in next years model... !!! :) "

difference is :
5 years from now the original iPhone could be just as supported as the brand new iPhone that came out that year... simply thanks to firmware updates

What does THAT mean? Well 5 years from now the total number of iPhones being supported could be 30+ million maybe EVEN 50 million who knows?

Apples strategy is beggining to be clear... and oh boy its a good one. Im 100% confident apple has set their pieces up for the perfect check mate... we all have our doubts abou AT&T but honestly I dont think we should worry about it, because I think at&t is just a pawn in apples grand strategy.

Now would be a good time to invest in apple stock we've all been watching it rise... and trust me at the moment when you think about it.. the last 2 years I think apple has just been coasting by setting their pieces up. Particularly with iPhone and cocoa touch (say hello to the best multi-touch API from any company)

To further clarify I feel like snow leopard is an optimization release for 1 simple reason:
apple plans to optimize and perfect everything as good as they can so OS X is prepared for a great break through into the mass market. (multi touch)

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ

Interesting. However, no one's going to be jumping through the loops to develop for the many RAZRS and throw-away Nokia phones. Its probably going to be mainly smart phones, which already have their own development platforms... Which is kind of... pointless.

T-Mobile just wants to write their name on it, but why would anyone limit themselves to T-Mobile, when AT&T and Verizon provide many more customers? I doubt they will be getting many exclusives.

ecoons

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
In other words, we are talking about T-Mobile’s 31.5 million subscribers today vs. the 10 million iPhones Apple

What about the iPod Touch? I am pretty sure I can use apps too. Also, since they are practically giving these away with their computers now, there are probably twice as many Touches out there than iPhones, just a guess ;)

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
we may not have known this at launch... but apple pulled more then one genius move at the original iPhone launch.

Now i look at it... its unbelievable how perfectly apple designed the iPhone.

See as steve jobs once said
"why use physical keys? what if we come up wiht a great idea later down the road... we cant just stick a new key into everyones phone can we??"

Meanwhile a regular company would have thought
"YeH!! you all love your physical keys... and you know what?? if we come up with a great idea we'll just stick it in next years model... !!! :) "

difference is :
5 years from now the original iPhone could be just as supported as the brand new iPhone that came out that year... simply thanks to firmware updates

What does THAT mean? Well 5 years from now the total number of iPhones being supported could be 30+ million maybe EVEN 50 million who knows?

Apples strategy is beggining to be clear... and oh boy its a good one. Im 100% confident apple has set their pieces up for the perfect check mate... we all have our doubts abou AT&T but honestly I dont think we should worry about it, because I think at&t is just a pawn in apples grand strategy.

Now would be a good time to invest in apple stock we've all been watching it rise... and trust me at the moment when you think about it.. the last 2 years I think apple has just been coasting by setting their pieces up. Particularly with iPhone and cocoa touch (say hello to the best multi-touch API from any company)

To further clarify I feel like snow leopard is an optimization release for 1 simple reason:
apple plans to optimize and perfect everything as good as they can so OS X is prepared for a great break through into the mass market. (multi touch)
I can't imagine it being that easy. You see, there once was a phone called the RAZR. Everyone wanted one, and soon the price came down and everyone bought one. Turns out, the other companies are jealous and decide to design their own RAZR-like phone. The early ones suck, so people stay with the RAZR. Soon enough, all these people's contracts ended and were looking for a new phone. The other phones improved quite a bit, and since they already had a RAZR (and Motorola wasn't producing anything much different), they went looking for a different phone. Motorola fails, and starts bleeding money, because when thinking of Motorola, the were "been there, done that".

Now I'm not saying Apple is going the same route, but It's going to take more than adding 3G, GPS, and some colors to keep its customers when the other phones catch up (which they ALWAYS do). Apple's been smart so far, as people who are on other services haven't experienced the iPhone yet. What happens in 2 years when the AT&T exclusivity is up, and Apple (presumably) floods the market with iPhones? Once those contracts end (and other phones improvde), people are going to look for a different experience. Not necessarily better, but different.

Wordwise

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
Don't forget the iPod Touch

For example, do you think Sega is going to step up and create Monkeyball for Windows Mobile, Android, Symbian, etc., etc. No, they are not going to waste their time trying to sell to a potential subset of 31.5 million subscribers that will, in all likelihood, be smaller than Apple's 10 million potential customers.

Developing for the iPhone also means developing for the iPod Touch...how many of them are out there too?

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Agreed. T-Mobile and Sprint should just give up now, I dont know one person that uses either of them.

I third that. As a current T-Mobile customer happy with my flexible plan and pleasant/helpful customer service, I wish they would fold. They can't be doing that good else where in the world either, right? Or am I just another ignorant fool?

Try running an iPhone with T-Mo; it was meant to be.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
No, they are not going to waste their time trying to sell to a potential subset of 31.5 million subscribers that will, in all likelihood, be smaller than Apple's 10 million potential customers.
...which will most likely be well over 20 million before they even launch this unholy beast on the world. Remember the 3G is still selling in current markets like hotcakes, with 21 more countries added in the next month.

As for it being truth or a rumor, I have no doubt it will prove true, it's exactly the kind of idiotic me-too catchup games these guys always play. How many iPhone lookalike phones have you seen in the last year? How many are actually as good as an iPhone? None. But there's always some marketing genius at these braindead companies who shamelessly tries to rip off Apple's success, not realizing they don't have any of the actual talent or experience to make such things work. The best they can do is try to make it look the same and hope to fool enough people into buying it.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
If you are interested in the App Store being the best it can be, how can this new competition be anything but good?

mrmayor92

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
PA
its good for people who are stuck with t mobile

im sick of seeing fan boys tear apart everything that isnt apple

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
Thank gawd... maybe THESE guys will give me the right to buy the app I truly long for...

Yes, friends. I am Rich.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
I'd like to see them program Super Monkey Ball in Java and have it run well on all phones. :rolleyes:

Apps on other phones suck. No one with a RAZR wants to spend $5 or $10 on some on some piece of crap Java game with NES-level graphics, slow frame rates, and frustrating controls.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
DIE TMOBILE!

Well, only in the US - the iphone for tmobile countries are okay.. right? Or are you guys such AT&T fanboys now that Apple said you have to worship them, that you hate every mobile carrier?

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Which off-the-shelf solution did they license?

Having seen the inside of T-Mobile and worked with friends who worked there nothing internally built is anything to be impressed. They live on off-the-shelf products and dbase solutions.

PeopleSoft is throughout but hopefully ORACLE is fixing that one.

It sounds great to talk about an App Store, but you don't have the APIs, toolkits nor expertise to remotely compete with APPLE.

asphyxiafeeling

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Cali baby!
you apple fanboys can laugh all you want, this is GOOD news!

when companies compete, consumers win!

i'm with t-mobile right now, so this is awesome for me!

apple making the app store forced everyone else to up their ante. that's just good for everyone! more people are happy, we make more progress, etc.

i can't believe some of you are actually getting angry about this:p

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Aside from the lack of a unified platform/OS and the lack of common device inputs and capabilities, the thing that would limit this most compared to the iPhone would be the lack of a Dev Kit. Developing apps for this store would be nothing like developing apps for the iPhone.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Step back, and remember this is a RUMOR. No one from T-Mobile has announced anything, and I doubt they ever will. You see, the companies are usually not as dumbfounded as the people who start these rumors, who are usually the ones who go around gloating the the impossible statistics.

The story, whether rumor or not, seems to be gaining traction (has now been reposted to washingtonpost.com) and sounds like the kind of me-too move we should all expect in light of the level of interest and publicity Apple's App Store has generated and the startling increase in iPhone sales in the last month.

So yeah, it's a rumor... one with that hard-to-fake ring of authenticity to it.

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
pro: they will have more phones to reach more ppl

con: you can't design a app to work well on EVERY TMOBILE PHONE.

This is the beauty of the iphone/touch because they both work the same.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Aside from the lack of a unified platform/OS and the lack of common device inputs and capabilities, the thing that will limit this most compared to the iPhone will be the lack of a Dev Kit.

All the development tools in the world are useless without a strong developer culture surrounding them. Apple had that in huge amounts from day one because the iPhone dev tools are based on the already-familiar Apple development tools. Apple was very smart to tie iPhone development in with standard Cocoa tools so closely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.