Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Isn't the only iPhone that is compatible with HSPA+ the latest iPhone 4S? If so, then how aggressive can T-Mobile really get for contract lapsed AT&T customers, when iPhone 4S users will presumably be locked in for another year and a half?

Good question, smart customers know that breaking a contract and paying termination fee during the first 6 month of a contract is a win, breaking a contract within the 6 - 18 months period is a breakeven, and -get this- the last 6 months of your contract you actually already paid for it, and AT&T continue to force you to pay around $20 in subsidy. That's why I laugh at people who say "oh I am going to stick to my phone one more year". You are giving their greedy CEO nothing but additional pure profit.

Think about the selected few who were wise enough to sell their iPhone 4 and get an iPhone 4S a year or so after their contact.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Isn't the only iPhone that is compatible with HSPA+ the latest iPhone 4S? If so, then how aggressive can T-Mobile really get for contract lapsed AT&T customers, when iPhone 4S users will presumably be locked in for another year and a half?

When they refarm 3G to 1900, all iPhones in use will be able to take advantage of this.

Also, 42 mbit HSPA+ should be in the next iPhone (As it's supported in the current iPad), a nice tie-over while people wait for LTE on T-Mobile.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
This isn't innovation and really has nothing to do with the merger falling through other than the fact that they were forced to do it to stay alive.

You may want to read the article again.

They stated that they are doing this with spectrum given to them from the failure of the merger. Not to mention the fact that they also got cash to do it with.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
The only reason I left T-Mobile was the iPhone ... when they get it, I'll be switching back.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
So does this mean they are going to get the iPhone? If so, I am stoked!!! I was planning on upgrading to a new phone this month, but I can wait!!!:D

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Straight Talk

you guys are missing that Stright Talk (backed by ATT network) already offers unlimited plans for $45 including support for unlocked iPhones.

So ATT is already taken care of the prepaid market.

On the Postpaid market T-Mobile need to compete against ATT and Verzion, But how?

rbonzer

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
I wonder if T-Mobile will keep their unlimited data options when/if they get the iPhone.

While their plans are "unlimited", you pay for a limited amount of "high speed" data, then after that, edge speed. Personally I am fine with that method of "unlimited" as long as it is clear up front. No worries about going 1k over your limit and getting charged a bunch more. I've been living on edge speed for quite a while now.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Coverage

I wonder how good tmobile's coverage is vs AT&T? I travel for my job, and pretty much was told by others to stick with AT&T or Verizon.

Of course, that was years ago, so things might have changed since then.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
you guys are missing that Stright Talk (backed by ATT network) already offers unlimited plans for $45 including support for unlocked iPhones.

On the Postpaid market T-Mobile need to compete against ATT and Verzion, But how?

Unlimited *including* data? I thought it was for 2GB only. T-Mobile has a $30 plan that gives you 5GB of HSPA+ speeds (after which you're throttled, but it might not even be worse than Verizon on 3G...will find out eventually). The catch is 100 talk minutes, but that can be doable depending on your situation.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
When this happens, we may switch back to T-Mobile. We hardly make any calls, so we've been on AT&T's cheapest goPhone plan, 10 cents/minute, with added texting and data for my iPhone (just switched from an Android phone). I was getting by for under $15 a month.

But they just got rid of their 10 cents/minute smartphone option; and, for $30, T-Mobile has a better prepaid value than AT&T... IF your phone is compatible.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
What, you didn't want to spend $150 + $20 a month on the Microcell? ;)
https://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/2...-microcell-availability-beginning-next-month/

Sure, 20 dollars a month if you want unlimited calling. If not, it's free.

Sure AT&T should keep upping it service, but microcells are assuming device for areas without service.

----------

I wouldn't say AT&T has taken care of the prepaid market. Does Straight Talk having LTE support? Plus for prepaid, people might not want unlimited everything. Choice is good, and T Mobile offers that.

On the post paid market, T Mobile is quite a bit cheaper and you can still get unlimited data from them. If I leave AT&T, T Mobile is a no brainer.(for me)

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC

StraightTalk is nice - but:

1) They cap their speeds for the AT&T side of things to around 7.2mbit AND no LTE
2) It's not really unlimited. Lots of reports of people being cut off at around 2GB.

What is good though - the tmobile option of StraightTalk doesn't seem to have these restrictions. So as they refarm more towers - one would see improvements while on ST by switching from AT&T to tmobile.

Not to mention - tmobile has a 30/month prepaid 100minute talk with unlimited data (with edge speeds after 5GB) and unlimited text which would be good for some iPhone users.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If T-Mo LTE will be on 1700/2100 wouldn't that make it compatible with ATT LTE? And the next iPhone? Why spend money on refarming when you take that money and start LTE deployment right now?

Probably because the LTE rollout will be phased. So T-Mobile users will need a 3G network to fall back on anways. It would be a bummer to go from LTE to EDGE because you strayed outside of a big city.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
Make that 999,999 iPhone users on t-mobile. They are way to behind. I waited years on their crappy edge network. I switched to sprint and am much happier.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
It wasn't a merger. It was a sale. There is a difference. T-Mobile because of the sale was forced to put its affairs on hold for a year. It wasn't going to reposition or purchase spectrum if there was a possibility it wasn't going to be around. Further, companies like Apple generally require a multiyear commitment to the platform, like was the case with Sprint. T-Mobile couldn't do that if it wasn't anticipating being around.

Now that the sale is off the table, T-Mobile is quickly trying to do what it needs to not not be left out of the next iPhone offering.

This isn't innovation and really has nothing to do with the merger falling through other than the fact that they were forced to do it to stay alive.

----------

There was more like 1, 200, 000 iPhone users on T-Mobile. I expect the number to grow with AT&T officially unlocking iPhones off contract.

With that said, seriously? Sprint costs way more than T-Mobile. It also probably costs more than AT&T and Verizon. What Sprint has going for it is unlimited data. However, Sprint's network is slower than AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. Unfortunately, the iPhone on T-Mobile uses the slower T-Mobile network, but T-Mobile's network is also unlimited (with tethering). T-Mobile's Edge network has also speed up considerably in the last few months with more and more non iPhone going to T-Mobile's 4G.

I spend less than 80 a month on T-Mobile's family plan with two lines and data. The same plan on Sprint is over $140 a month.

Make that 999,999 iPhone users on t-mobile. They are way to behind. I waited years on their crappy edge network. I switched to sprint and am much happier.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
So will an unlocked iPhone 4 (with only HSPA) work on the re-farmed HSPA+ spectrum? i.e. is it backward compatable? If so, I may let my ATT contract end in July and try out T-Mobile. Always liked them best anyway.

I'm looking for a definitive answer for this as well. The family could save a good deal of money by switching to T-mobile after our contract is up.

When this happens, we may switch back to T-Mobile. We hardly make any calls, so we've been on AT&T's cheapest goPhone plan, 10 cents/minute, with added texting and data for my iPhone (just switched from an Android phone). I was getting by for under $15 a month.

But they just got rid of their 10 cents/minute smartphone option; and, for $30, T-Mobile has a better prepaid value than AT&T... IF your phone is compatible.

(unlocked) iPhones work with AT&T goPhone? I didn't know that.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
So will an unlocked iPhone 4 (with only HSPA) work on the re-farmed HSPA+ spectrum? i.e. is it backward compatable? If so, I may let my ATT contract end in July and try out T-Mobile. Always liked them best anyway.

It is completely backwards compatible. It would even work with the iPhone 3G.

----------

(unlocked) iPhones work with AT&T goPhone? I didn't know that.

AT&T locked iPhones will too. They just require a expensive data plan that basically outweighs the benefits of using prepaid.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
It is completely backwards compatible. It would even work with the iPhone 3G.

----------

AT&T locked iPhones will too. They just require a expensive data plan that basically outweighs the benefits of using prepaid.

Ah, gotcha (can't say I'm too surprised). Finding a decent no-contract family plan is proving to be a challenge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.