Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Unicode Consortium today published the list of proposed emoji that could potentially be included in Unicode 10, set to be released in 2017, giving us a first glimpse at the emojis we might see included in future iOS updates.

Today's proposal includes 51 emoji candidates [PDF], including flying saucer, shocked face with exploding head, face with open mouth vomiting, grinning face with star eyes, coconut, broccoli, pie, pretzel, sandwich, t-rex, giraffe face, sauropod (basically a brontosaurus), hedgehog, mage, vampire, fairy, elf, genie, zombie, and tons more.

unicode10emoji-800x245.jpg
Image via Emojipedia

Emoji candidates are often chosen for multiple reasons, ranging from expected high frequency of use to requests from online communities. Others fill in gaps in existing emoji sets or are compatible with current emoji characters.

The Unicode 10 emoji candidates are not yet finalized, so it is possible some of the characters on the list could be eliminated. We may also see new emoji additions before Unicode 10 is finalized in 2017.

With emoji growing in popularity, Apple has started adopting new emojis more frequently. iOS 10.2 includes support for Unicode 9 emoji, introducing characters like clown face, drooling face, selfie, face palm, fox face, avocado, bacon, and croissant, along with dozens of profession emoji.

Unicode 9 was first approved in June of 2016, so we can perhaps expect to see Apple adopt Unicode 10 within six months of its release.

Article Link: T-Rex, Hedgehog, Sandwich, Vampire and Zombie Among Emoji Proposed for 2017's Unicode 10

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This country is burning. We are under attack from all sides. And then this.....
What is wrong with you people?

/S

From a serious perspective, it is getting harder to find an emoji to use since there are so many. If they keep adding, I wonder if they will create some sort of index to help one find the emoji. The current method has me sliding all over the place.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Am I too damn old that I don't understand why this whole emoji bs is so important that there are mass releases and a governing body that regulates them??

I think smiley, frown face are about the only 2 I have ever used...

Damn it.. I am too old, aren't I?

iAbc21

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
CA, US
Am I too damn old that I don't understand why this whole emoji bs is so important that there are mass releases and a governing body that regulates them??

Yes you're old :(

Reactions: aloshka

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

I don't use the majority of them either. I have a few set as favorites on my third-party keyboard, and sometimes I go dig through the rest of them, but I'm still stuck in the IM/message board days where you'd use them sparingly.

It took me way too long to even figure out what that was, My eyes initially saw it as a neck hanging down with a head attached. which makes no sense I know.

You're not alone. I thought the same exact thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.