"Tabbing"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iEric, Nov 3, 2005.

1. iEric macrumors 6502a

See the attached picture.

How do I move from Reopen to Close without using the mouse? I know in Windows it's tab or a primary key like C, Y, or N.

Attached Files:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Turn on full keyboard access? I think it's in accessability settings.

The reason you don't have to turn this on in Windows is due to it's DOS based heritage. A mouse was (and maybe still is) optional for Windows, it's never been optional for Mac OS :)

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Check out the settings under System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse.

I think it's tab to move between options and spacebar to select.

4. dcv macrumors G3

Just out of interest, how do you get into System Preferences without using the mouse? i.e. how do you invoke the main Apple menu from the keyboard?

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I would just use Spotlight (or Quicksilver)

I think the default shortcut is ctrl-F2. You can of course change this under System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts
    :)

6. dcv macrumors G3

Ahhh of course... Ctrl-F2... that *obvious* key combo :rolleyes: :p

Cheers for the info!

The reason i asked, and why i'm interested in this thread, is because i thought i had a faulty mouse when i got my iMac recently... so ran the registration process by tabbing through fields and using spacebar to select options/click buttons etc... managed to click on to Software Update because the mouse was conveniently stuck in the top left (so had i known about this full keyboard access thing or whatever i would have gone in to system prefs)... anyway... when Software Update loaded, i couldnt figure out how to jump to the dialog to click Agree. Ended up plugging my graphics tablet in to continue!

Anyway... as it turned out, i'm a complete muppet! There was nothing wrong with the mouse; it just doesn't like my desk surface!!! In my defence, I have never owned an optical mouse before since i've previously only had laptops. D'oh. Classic! :D

7. siren77 macrumors member

I've been looking for this tip forever! Thanks a lot :)

8. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Also spacebar is what will activate the highlighted button, not enter/return like you would think.
    :apple: