Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
See the attached picture.

How do I move from Reopen to Close without using the mouse? I know in Windows it's tab or a primary key like C, Y, or N.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    54 KB · Views: 36

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Turn on full keyboard access? I think it's in accessability settings.

The reason you don't have to turn this on in Windows is due to it's DOS based heritage. A mouse was (and maybe still is) optional for Windows, it's never been optional for Mac OS :)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Check out the settings under System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse.

I think it's tab to move between options and spacebar to select.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Just out of interest, how do you get into System Preferences without using the mouse? i.e. how do you invoke the main Apple menu from the keyboard?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
dietcokevanilla said:
Just out of interest, how do you get into System Preferences without using the mouse?
I would just use Spotlight (or Quicksilver)

dietcokevanilla said:
i.e. how do you invoke the main Apple menu from the keyboard?
I think the default shortcut is ctrl-F2. You can of course change this under System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts
:)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
munkle said:
I would just use Spotlight (or Quicksilver)

I think the default shortcut is ctrl-F2. You can of course change this under System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts
:)

Ahhh of course... Ctrl-F2... that *obvious* key combo :rolleyes: :p

Cheers for the info!

The reason i asked, and why i'm interested in this thread, is because i thought i had a faulty mouse when i got my iMac recently... so ran the registration process by tabbing through fields and using spacebar to select options/click buttons etc... managed to click on to Software Update because the mouse was conveniently stuck in the top left (so had i known about this full keyboard access thing or whatever i would have gone in to system prefs)... anyway... when Software Update loaded, i couldnt figure out how to jump to the dialog to click Agree. Ended up plugging my graphics tablet in to continue!

Anyway... as it turned out, i'm a complete muppet! There was nothing wrong with the mouse; it just doesn't like my desk surface!!! In my defence, I have never owned an optical mouse before since i've previously only had laptops. D'oh. Classic! :D

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Also spacebar is what will activate the highlighted button, not enter/return like you would think.
:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.