Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umdjb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Washington D.C.
One thing I noticed about the new IE7 in relation to Safari is that you cannot move and drag tabs in Safari whereas in IE7 you can. This is a feature I find convenient and would like Apple to adopt. Also, how come I have to press Command T to get a new tab in Safari whereas in Windows I just click the tab sticking out? Is there a better way to generate a new tab in Safari than pressing Command T?

Thanks!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
re-ordering tabs would be nice. definitely something that needs to be added. hopefully with Leopard.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
There are plug-ins that can enable this...Saft comes to mind.

But wait until Leopard comes out...Safari 3.0 has all sorts of tab goodness. Tabs can be reordered or dragged out to create new windows, multiple windows can be consolidated into tabs in a single window, etc.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
How about when I click a link it opens in a new tab instead of a new window?

SAFT and SafariStand both add that to Safari.

umdjb said:
Also, how come I have to press Command T to get a new tab in Safari whereas in Windows I just click the tab sticking out?

Safari also has an optional "New Tab" button that you can add to the toolbar -- just right click the toolbar and select customize, or select View -> Customize Address Bar.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Is there a better way to generate a new tab in Safari than pressing Command T
Not sure why Command-T is a bad thing, but you can also ctrl-click in the tab bar to add a new tab.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I figured that. Thanks mkrishnan. When in doubt, there's always a program.

I personally use SafariStand because it's free -- it does scads of other things, so you may end up wanting to go through and turn a lot of them off. You'll have to make two changes -- first, the one in the plugin to force links that open in new windows into tabs (Stand menu -> SafariStand Setting -> General -> Open '_blank' in New Tab) and second, the one in Safari to do the same for links from apps (Preferences -> General -> Open links from applications... in a new tab....).

I do think I end up needing plugins to make Safari a happy experience. This is what I use:

Taboo - warning if you try to close a window with multiple tabs open
SafariBlock - Basic adblocker like AdBlock in Firefox
SafariStand - Does a variety of things, but I just use it for the above
Inquisitor - search-as-you-type Google results.

The first three, for me, admittedly, do things that essentially make Safari act more like Firefox. The last one is more unique. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.