Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I don't know about this one but every other android wear looked great as renderings but crappy in real life photos (except maybe the moto 360).

Go into a high street jeweller and look at the Tag Heuer Carrera watches on display. Though not true high end watches, the quality is leagues above any other Android Wear watch that we've seen so far.

Not so sure about the quality of the software though. :eek:

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Is this not the same company that several months back said they weren't worried about an Apple watch and that it is not even in the same market they are in?

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Those are still valid just because Tag is making one doesn't change anything.

Within a year of the Watch’s release you will see EVERYBODY and their brother jumping on the bandwagon Apple has sent rolling down the street. Without even being available for sale yet the Watch has already commenced disrupting yet another market.

Once again the naysayers will have egg on their faces. But that never stops them so who cares. I’m sure they’ll come up with some stupidity as usual.

"Chris DeSalvo’s reaction to the iPhone was immediate and visceral. “As a consumer I was blown away. I wanted one immediately. But as a Google engineer, I thought ‘We’re going to have to start over.’”

“What we had suddenly looked just so . . . nineties,” DeSalvo said. “It’s just one of those things that are obvious when you see it.”

Google Engineer in 2007

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
With Android Wear coming to iOS I'm glad we have the choice.

However, this sort of knee jerk reaction rarely leads to a good product.

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
Does anyone else yell the "TAG" part of TAG Heuer every time you read it? I always thought they were mall watches, i really didn't know they were Swiss. Good for them, I am sure they will be happy with Android.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
It good that they are trying, I think.

But I have a hard time believing that a committee of companies is going to produce a very good smart watch... the computer hardware, the case and band, and software each by a different company. It probably won't come together.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So if Tag does something decent who would buy an LG or Huewai wmartwatch?

littleredwagen

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
what I see holding back this watch is the software. Android just never seems a s polished as iOS. With the current offerings of Smart Watch the Apple Watch is the best it seems, from fit and finish to the software. We will see when it is in the hand of normal consumers. I am sticking for a while to my loved mechanical watches.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Within a year of the Watch’s release you will see EVERYBODY and their brother jumping on the bandwagon Apple has sent rolling down the street. Without even being available for sale yet the Watch has already commenced disrupting yet another market.

Once again the naysayers will have egg on their faces. But that never stops them so who cares. I’m sure they’ll come up with some stupidity as usual.

"Chris DeSalvo’s reaction to the iPhone was immediate and visceral. “As a consumer I was blown away. I wanted one immediately. But as a Google engineer, I thought ‘We’re going to have to start over.’”

“What we had suddenly looked just so . . . nineties,” DeSalvo said. “It’s just one of those things that are obvious when you see it.”

Google Engineer in 2007

It's still a piece of technology that will be outdated in a year whether everyone and their sister has one or not. It will still not be something you hand down to your kids. It's still not a watch it's a piece of tech no matter what company makes one or it's price bracket. There are many in this world that will not buy one at all because of what it is the opposite is also true. The customer of luxury watches heck even watches like Sinn are not smart watch customers and Tag making one isn't going to change that nor are those people going away.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I suspect they'll abandon the round Android watch "design" and go with the square with rounded corner is obvious for a smartwatch excuse.

No, it's not clear at all what they're planning to do. I thought it was interesting that the press release, if you follow the link, states that the smart watch wil not be made in Switzerland.

Last edited:

KidAKidB

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2014
Toronto
Risky strategy if they only intend to focus on Android! Surprises me that Tag seem to be tying themselves to Android only....bad move in my opinion. If you want to compete with all smart watches then multiplatform is the way to do so.

And people have found code in Android Wear that shows that it will work with iOS, therefore making Android Wear multi platform.

----------

A very nice looking watch with a very crappy operating system is still a piece of crap in my book. Apple's software is what will make all the difference.

But that's the thing, it's not a crappy operating system. So let's leave the bias at the door please.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
You can love or hate Apple .... but I think everyone has to admit that Apple manages it with every 'category' they touch to bring that industry into motion. Even if you don't like Apple, that is a good thing.

Totally agree. I may think that Smart Watches could be this generation's Parachute Pants, but Apple has sure lit a fire under the whole idea.

Last edited:

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Remember, this is also TAG Heuer. FAR from a high-end anything in the watch world. Aside from a model or two that still have ties to their heritage that used to make them desirable watches, they have been insignificant for years. More or less just fashion watches for Maybe a decade or three now. Not sought after watches by "watch nuts" in any way, shape, or form. They have to grasp at straws to stay relevant. This is not an indicator that the "high end Swiss watch" world is panic reacting to the Apple Watch. When you see movement in AP, PP, Rolex/Tudor, Panerai, then you'll know the "high end" Swiss watch world views it as a threat.

Huh what?? Are we talking about the same TAG

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Yes but since when did Apple care what their customers think. Apparently now Google doesn't care what customers think either.

They have to care a little bit both sell lots of product every year and have managed to create religious following.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Don't think rich folks would like Google tracking their every move.

The round watch photo is probably not the final product. I suspect they'll abandon the round Android watch "design" and go with the square with rounded corner is obvious for a smartwatch excuse.

Thank god they can get a $10K apple watch!

I love my Tag Heuer watch which I've had for 14 years.

Tag isn't high-end compared to some of the £50,000+ watches around, but with its less expensive watches selling for probably four to five times the Apple Watch price, the company is certainly not low-end, so why would it want to associate itself with Google/Android technology?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I suspect this will be the first luxury oriented smartwatch. Mr Ivy, take note ;)

RakEgg

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
Isn't a watch at its most basic is surely to provide you with accurate time? If the rest is proving you are in the lap pf luxury, the Apple's watch range addresses that well and truly.

At the end of it all the Swiss watch makers should be feeling very threatened. They can not match what Apple can provide in hardware, and ecosystem.

So they are no doubt saying among themselves:

We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
"Before the year is out."

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
It's still a piece of technology that will be outdated in a year whether everyone and their sister has one or not. It will still not be something you hand down to your kids. It's still not a watch it's a piece of tech no matter what company makes one or it's price bracket. There are many in this world that will not buy one at all because of what it is the opposite is also true. The customer of luxury watches heck even watches like Sinn are not smart watch customers and Tag making one isn't going to change that nor are those people going away.

I think you need to poke your head into this decade. Apple has altered and disrupted enough markets by now that you should understand they are merging fashion and luxury with technology more than ever now. There are far too many wealthy people in the world to be content with owning just another piece of technology. They want to stand out and express themselves in a way that most others cannot. Maybe they will hand down their Apple Watch to heir children and maybe they won't. Who cares? It does not inform any purchasing decisions they make today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.