Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I just purchased an iPad for general use and for taking lecture note. I've broswed the forum and haven't really seen a good answer so I'm going to ask here:

What is the definitive note taking application and stylus for writing?

I basically want to go into a class, pull out my iPad, start an application, have my notes sorted by course and perhaps date of entry or something, and just be able to write, save my note to its appropriate class, and move in.

Sorry if this may seem redundant. Also just generally excited about my new purchase.

xak

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
I'm also wondering this too. Going to be receiving my first iPad today and want to know if anyone has any suggestions or reviews for note-taking apps and styluses (stylii? lol).

Thus far I've found a video reviewing a dozen styluses for the iPad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk7c_tdxvp8

and the best note-taking app I've researched is "Note Taker HD"

Of course, personal advice/anecdote can always give more insight.

Thanks!

monkeylui

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
A Galaxy far, far away
The amazon basics stylus is great.

Also notability is a great app. It'll record your lectures & every time you write a note it time stamps so you can go back & listen to that specific section.

Audionote, Notesplus & Notetaker HD are also very good.

chilady1

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
Northeast
I am currently using Evernote. I take a ton of notes for meetings at work and a note taking app is critical for me. I am not overly thrilled with this app, but the #1 thing I have to have is the ability to sync across multiple OS platforms. Especially between my MacBook Pro and my iPad2.

Originally I was using Notebooks which I really loved. However, this is an iPad only app however, the good news is the developer is currently working on a Mac OS app with similiar capabilities as the iPad version. I was actually lucky enough to be a part of the beta testing being done on the notebook app. I especially like this iPad app because it automatically syncs with Dropbox where I keep everything. I think Evernote has cloud sync but with the free app, there is a limit to how much you can upload. I don't want a limit. Once Notebooks is up and running on Mac OS I will probably transition to that. It will allow me (1) to sync across both devices I use for work and (2) sync with Dropbox. At that point, I will be happy. Until then, I will continue to use Evernote. Good Luck on your search.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I am currently using Evernote. I take a ton of notes for meetings at work and a note taking app is critical for me. I am not overly thrilled with this app, but the #1 thing I have to have is the ability to sync across multiple OS platforms. Especially between my MacBook Pro and my iPad2.

Originally I was using Notebooks which I really loved. However, this is an iPad only app however, the good news is the developer is currently working on a Mac OS app with similiar capabilities as the iPad version. I was actually lucky enough to be a part of the beta testing being done on the notebook app. I especially like this iPad app because it automatically syncs with Dropbox where I keep everything. I think Evernote has cloud sync but with the free app, there is a limit to how much you can upload. I don't want a limit. Once Notebooks is up and running on Mac OS I will probably transition to that. It will allow me (1) to sync across both devices I use for work and (2) sync with Dropbox. At that point, I will be happy. Until then, I will continue to use Evernote. Good Luck on your search.

Thanks. I've used Evernote but I don't feel that it's really geared toward just note taking. It's a powerful tool no doubt.

Im not concerned about syncing, I'm fine emailing things to myself. My main concern is having an app and using my iPad to basically replace the pen and paper notebook.

monkeylui

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
A Galaxy far, far away
Eric did you check out the apps I mentioned? They really are very good. Oh & penultimate is really good too closest thing to a simple notebook. They also have different types of "paper" templates.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
UPAD was the best app I came across when I had my iPad 2. Trumped everything else mentioned so far in this thread. But I think it still needs to be updated for the new iPad, unfortunately.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Eric did you check out the apps I mentioned? They really are very good. Oh & penultimate is really good too closest thing to a simple notebook. They also have different types of "paper" templates.

Sorry. I've been white water rafting the past couple of days and haven't had time to revisit this thread.

phishindsn

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2009
OK I recommend NoteTaker HD. I have tried several stylus and stuck with the Wacom Bamboo, although I did some paper behind the tip to make it a little stiffer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.