Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
I'm heading out to Denver for business and have a 2 story suite at a Marriott (need place to interview and meet real estate people). Ethernet jacks are not in the "living area" where I will meet with people and need my computer. I am going to bring my Airport Express. How will I set up a wireless network in the room?

Damn, now I have to fire up little used iBook and apply a ton of updates.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
rdowns said:
Damn, now I have to fire up little used iBook and apply a ton of updates.
Thought you were taking your new PC laptop? Taking two computers with you? Can't be Mac les for a while can you? ;)

I thought about taking my Airport Express on a recent vacation, but my wife nixed it. My plan was to set save the current configuration, turn off my "regular" wireless at home and set up a new network using the wizard. Then set up my iBook to connect to the new network as one of the preferred networks. Pack the Airport Express, and turn the regular wireless back on. That's it.

B

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
When I went to Dallas, I brought my Airport Express. It was plug-n-play.

I'm assuming it'll be the same at your hotel..

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
balamw said:
Thought you were taking your new PC laptop? Taking two computers with you? Can't be Mac les for a while can you? ;)

I thought about taking my Airport Express on a recent vacation, but my wife nixed it. My plan was to set save the current configuration, turn off my "regular" wireless at home and set up a new network using the wizard. Then set up my iBook to connect to the new network as one of the preferred networks. Pack the Airport Express, and turn the regular wireless back on. That's it.

B

Thanks.

I don't have a new laptop yet. I do have a 86 lb. Toshiba POS that I refuse to carry with me.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
katie ta achoo said:
It was plug-n-play.
KTA doesn't that depend on what you regularly use your Airport Express for?

If you already use it to create a WiFi network at home, you're probably fine.

I personally use mine just as a client of my "regular" wireless network for AirTunes. In that configuration, or if used as a range extender with an Airport Extreme, it would definitely not work plug and play on the road since the host WiFi network would be missing in action.

Or is the Airport Express smarter than I give it credit for?

rdowns said:
I do have a 86 lb. Toshiba POS that I refuse to carry with me.

I have one of those too, vintage 1999. Used it as the kids' game computer until it really started wigging out on me. Replaced it with the iBook. :)

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.