Target REDcard

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by WhiteIphone5, Jun 13, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

What's the catch? You save your entire purchase 5% off. That's pretty nice, I've been interested in getting one but not sure why they would just give you 5% off. Thinking about pre-ordering PS4

2. macrumors 6502

It's a way to entice people to be loyal Target shoppers. As long as you pay your balance when it's due, there are no fees or additional charges.

3. macrumors 65816

They're losing about 3% when you pay with a credit card, so they're really only giving you an additional 2% off. They probably make a few pennies back from the 22.9% interest rate....

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

When balance due? What if I use checking account and not credit card.

5. macrumors regular

I work for Target and the RedCard is so worth it. With the checking you have no fees at all none, but you save 5% on your everyday purchases, free shipping online, and 5% off starbucks in your target and target cafe. Not only that if you want to save a few more bucks, get pharmacy reward. Every 5 prescriptions you fill you get an addition 5% off of your purchase for 1 whole day.

6. macrumors G5

yg17

Sounds like your managers at Target have taught you well :rolleyes:

I used to work there and refuse to get a red card on principle. I've seen the interest rates that some people get. It should be usury. And yes I realize with checking, there's no interest rate. But they're hoping to get you to go with the credit option and run up a bill at 30% interest.

7. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That makes no sense. Target still has to pay the credit card processing fees on top of the discount they give you.

8. macrumors 601

mscriv

My wife and I got one a few months back and went the debit route. It's been great so far. The only downside seems to be that sometimes it takes a little while for the debits to show up on the bank account.

9. macrumors 6502

Or you could just pay off the balance every month and use the card for the 5% benefit. :rolleyes: Just because someone has a credit card doesn't mean they are required to run up a bill and allow interest to collect. It's so easy to set up automatic payments so that no fees or interest are ever charged...I haven't had to actively do anything to manage my redcard payments for years.

10. macrumors G5

yg17

When I worked at Red and Khaki Hell back in the day, to get our employee discount, we either had to pay by cash, gift card, or Target red card. We couldn't use regular credit and debit cards because of the processing fee, so that leads me to assume they get a discounted rate on the processing fee for their branded cards.

Or, you can have a buddy ring you up, get your exact total including tax and your discount, suspend the transaction, sell you a gift card for that exact amount that you could pay for with any payment method, then pull up the suspended transaction and pay for it with the gift card.

11. adk
    macrumors 68000

adk

Target issues the cards through their own bank, Target National Bank.

12. macrumors 601

mscriv

Sheesh... Target Employee Problems! ;)

13. macrumors regular

I'm actually a Target Manager and run day to day operations

14. macrumors 65816

senseless

I'm not opening another credit card to get a "discount" and resent subsidizing those that do.

15. macrumors G5

yg17

Ah, so you're from the same likes of people who berated me for not asking people if they'd like to open one of those stupid credit cards to save 5 cents on their purchase of a candy bar ;)

16. macrumors 601

Tilpots

Who knew there was so much Target angst out there? :p

We use the debit option to save the 5%. Works for us. Adds up over time.

17. macrumors G5

yg17

I only go there because they're marginally better than Wal-Mart. I'd prefer to not go to either, but there aren't any mom & pop stores out there anymore.

18. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

You also tend to spend more when paying with a card than cash. So they win there too.

19. macrumors 6502

bluespider

Still a great deal! It's like having a permanent coupon... even better deal when they offer sales on things like the itunes gift cards... $60 cards for $50 then get another 5% off of that ... I tie it straight to my checking account so that I don't have to use it as another credit card, just a debit card...

20. macrumors member

it's a debit card people

links up with your checking account and you can only use it at Target

they have a credit card too but; think he's referring to the debit

it's awesome and totally worth it. bc it has no fees and it's free. you just use it like your debit card and save 5%