Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have as yet unopened bottles of both Taylors and Does 1977, a very, very good vintage. I did however drink my 1980 Taylors, which was delicious and was lucky enough to try a 58 Quinta do Noval while I was researching the book I helped write about wine. Truly delicious and something very special!

Agreed about the excellent quality of some of the Dow's Port wine, and - obviously, given my misunderstanding of the thread title, that of Taylor's Port.

I have also had the privilege and pleasure of having sampled some of the Quinta do Noval; while I am not a fan of their very young port wine, some of their aged products are excellent.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm still wondering how someone becomes iconic before it's released. Why won't anyone tell me?

Was Beethoven's Ninth Symphony iconic before it's release?

Was Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor iconic before it's release?

Was Mozart's Requiem in D Minor iconic before it's release?

Need I say more?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Need I say more?

Now, that list is what I call real music……seriously good, dare one say it, even 'iconic' music, utter masterpieces and sublime classics, one and all…...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Need I say more?

Now, that list is what I call real music……seriously good, dare one say it, even 'iconic' music, utter masterpieces and sublime classics, one and all…...

Yes! Very, very good music indeed. ♫

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have to admit that I didn't expect to find a discussion of port and classical music in a Taylor Swift thread.

I'm delightfully bemused. :p

Don't forget the minor discussion of Taylor port wine here too. ;)

It is all a part of the rich and varied fabric of life, the warp, weft and weave of the tapestry of online conversation, where - despite the baton wielded by the desires of the OP - with the best will in the world, an online conversation can go off the rails…….and is sometimes all the better for this…..

Limey77

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
Agreed about the excellent quality of some of the Dow's Port wine, and - obviously, given my misunderstanding of the thread title, that of Taylor's Port.

I have also had the privilege and pleasure of having sampled some of the Quinta do Noval; while I am not a fan of their very young port wine, some of their aged products are excellent.

Probably shouldn't take this thread any further off track but I haven't had any of their younger wines but have tasted a selection of their older vintages, along with some other fine wines.

I've also had the privilege of meeting some fairly influential people in the UK wine business and been treated to samples of the real classics, a 45 Mouton-Rothschild (from the Rothschild collection) a Leoville-Barton 1986 and quite a few more. If you're interested I have quite a few tales from the last 60 years of wine production.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Probably shouldn't take this thread any further off track but I haven't had any of their younger wines but have tasted a selection of their older vintages, along with some other fine wines.

I've also had the privilege of meeting some fairly influential people in the UK wine business and been treated to samples of the real classics, a 45 Mouton-Rothschild (from the Rothschild collection) a Leoville-Barton 1986 and quite a few more. If you're interested I have quite a few tales from the last 60 years of wine production.

Noval seem to have marketed a young port wine which - it appears - was dreamed up by their marketing people with a view to addressing & amending the perceived image of port wine drinkers (middle class, middle aged) by attempting to attract a younger demographic, hence this 'younger' snappier, (and less expensive) port wine.

Anyway, I have to say that I didn't like it at all - the taste was too sharp, harsh and brash (but maybe that was the point); personally, I like my port rich, and smooth and velvet on the tongue.

Yes, thank you for your kind offer, as tales of wine production from the last 60 years will find quite a willing listener in me...

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Obviously haven't heard the album, but the song is trash. I used to be a Taylor Swift fan back in high school, but I admit I was more swept up in her popularity because a lot of my friends were into her. Having just graduated college, her music has just started to sound super generic and this newest song of hers is just awful. It sounds literally like any pop song made in the 21st century and includes the following lyrics: "haters gonna hate". wow

Her and pretty much all the mainstream pop music of today (whats on billboard) just sounds so manufactured, I honestly don't know how anyone likes it. It seems strange to think that 50 years ago, measured on the same scale (billboard hot 100), songs such as "penny lane" and "come together". For them to be replaced by what is popular now is so weird. The type and quality of the music is so different, but I suppose I am biased.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Well then, here's something to listen to: "Shake It Off", the lead single from the album...

YouTube: video

It reminds me of Lily Allen's "Hard Out Here" in some bits.

The video is fun, but the song in general probably won't last very long on the radio. The chorus is there, but there's nothing else going for it.

I'm also tired of songs about ignoring the haters and not being cool. I'm 25, I don't want to listen to that anymore.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World

Need I say more?

Ironically enough, two of the three "iconic" compositions (the ones I've highlighted in bold) probably weren't written (entirely) by the composers who are commonly credited with their creation.

Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor

The following article, A haunting tune, but is it really Bach's?, offers some thoughts about the piece and whether or not Bach was the work's author.

The composition's name itself isn't "quite right" -- Bach's generation would have called it "Praeludium et fuga," not Toccata and Fugue. Some musicologists claim the composition uses a progression of notes Bach never would have allowed.

Other music scholars believe the Toccata was originally a violin piece Bach transcribed (originally written by another composer).

If so, the the violin transcription (below) of "Toccata & Fugue" may be closer to the original than the infinitely more "iconic" organ version.

Mozart's Requiem in D Minor

Mozart died before he could complete the work, and it was passed off to his pupil Sussmayr, who orchestrated it and provided the missing movements. But months after Mozart's death, at least four composers -- Sussmayr, Eybler, Frystadtler and Stadler -- worked on the completion of the Requiem. Over the years since then, Richard Maunder and others have attempted to "fix" the Requiem, each changing, adding to it, or attempting to recreate it in a more pure "Mozartian" style.

Kenneth Woods' article, Who Wrote the Mozart Requiem?, highlights some of the details about the work.

The book (below) examines the topic in more greater detail.

51M-LtZgvrL.jpg

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Ironically enough, two of the three "iconic" compositions (the ones I've highlighted in bold) probably weren't written (entirely) by the composers who are commonly credited with their creation.

The following article, A haunting tune, but is it really Bach's?, offers some thoughts about the piece and whether or not Bach was the work's author.

The composition's name itself isn't "quite right" -- Bach's generation would have called it "Praeludium et fuga," not Toccata and Fugue. Some musicologists claim the composition uses a progression of notes Bach never would have allowed.

Other music scholars believe the Toccata was originally a violin piece Bach transcribed (originally written by another composer).

If so, the the violin transcription (below) of "Toccata & Fugue" may be closer to the original than the infinitely more "iconic" organ version.

This is an interesting debate that does make sense. Ironic that the best organ piece ever was a rip off.:p

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Interesting bits of conversation in this thread haha.
Just wanted the fans to know her record came out.
Carry on.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
No, truly, seriously, I have never, ever heard of Taylor Swift; and I am cheerfully and utterly oblivious to (and remain deeply uninterested in) much of what passes for popular mainstream culture, (and sport) especially (because I am not from the US and so remain ignorant of much of mainstream cultural references) much of that which comes from the US.

Don't feel too bad, not that you really do over this topic, but I barely know who she is and I live in the US, obviously. ;)

I’m glad as that wasn’t my intent in the least :) I was just surprised that anyone had managed to _avoid_ her, especially anyone that spends a decent amount of time online.

I also didn’t factor in your geography (which I admit, I wasn’t aware of).

If I “had my rathers”, I’d rather have not heard of her, or Justin Beiber, or the 100s of other acts that I can’t seem to avoid. :D

Also being from Old Europe, but having grandchildren, I am aware of who Taylor Swift is. I personally find her music to be bland, there is nothing wrong with it of course. I am hardly her target audience, of course.:p

My granddaughters are however firmly in the “Arianator” camp which means that they live breath anything to do with Ariana Grande. This entails lots of purple giraffes.:confused:
Last year I took them to Schiphol to see Ariana arrive for a MTV Event, they screamed and waved. Oh to be young again, and the most important thing is, who is number one in the top 20.:cool:

We have become our parents, I remember my parents not knowing who Mick Jagger was.;)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Mozart's Requiem in D Minor

Mozart died before he could complete the work, and it was passed off to his pupil Sussmayr, who orchestrated it and provided the missing movements. But months after Mozart's death, at least four composers -- Sussmayr, Eybler, Frystadtler and Stadler -- worked on the completion of the Requiem. Over the years since then, Richard Maunder and others have attempted to "fix" the Requiem, each changing, adding to it, or attempting to recreate it in a more pure "Mozartian" style.

Kenneth Woods' article, Who Wrote the Mozart Requiem?, highlights some of the details about the work.

The book (below) examines the topic in more greater detail.

51M-LtZgvrL.jpg

Hey...cool post!

I never expected my snotty little joke post would generate such an interesting response.

Thanks...:D

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So she went from Country to Radio Pop? I guess you gotta chase the money.

----------

Today's music does nothing for me, especially the pop and rap crap that's popular today. BTW, I've heard her name before, but I couldn't pick out one of her songs on the radio if my life depended on it.

I can't listen to 95% of the mainstream rap that's on the radio. But there is still plenty of good rap music coming out..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.