Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
Hi guys, thanks for clicking. I have a 17" 1.67Ghz Powerbook G4 (low-rez) that I love very much. But when I loaned it out to a female friend recently, she reported that it was going to sleep frequently... come to find out this is most likely related to the left fan not spinning at all. I discovered that this was the problem after installing iStat and checking the fan RPMs- the left fan was spinning at 0 RPM's. The right fan is picking up the slack, I think I saw 4700RPM.

Anyway, I have blown out the thing with compressed air thoroughly. It seems to spin OK when I force it to w/ compressed air, but when the computer is powered on it just does nothing at all. Please see pics below... left fan first...

PowerbookG4fanLeft2.jpg

PowerbookG4_fanLeft.jpg

And the right for comparison purposes, the right fan... look at that fan spin! That's my boy.

PowerbookG4fanRight.jpg

I most likely have another fan assembly I could use to replace this one, but I am really hoping someone else has a suggestion for something I might try before I am forced to remove go through the trouble of removing the logic board and the 30 different things attached to it first... :(. This Powerbook never gave me a lick of trouble and I think I opened it for the first time last night... would hate to monkey around under the hood if I can avoid doing so. Thanks so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.