Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Interesting. The young students are the only people i know with subscriptions and like social media they seem to hate them, but feel obligated to use them. Among my middle aged peers, friends, & family, any time i’ve complained about all these crappy silicon valley companies becoming permanent wallet leeches, i get blank looks. Prime is the only service that anyone I know seems to have (and practically everyone has it). A handful of people had netflix but cancelled it after they got bored with it, and otherwise they listen to the radio & watch olde fashioned cable tv. Every time I bring up services in conversation, I’m the only one who keeps up on this stuff. And yet among the online people, abstaining makes you some weird statistical outlier. Hm.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Interesting. The young students are the only people i know with subscriptions and like social media they seem to hate them, but feel obligated to use them. Among my middle aged peers, friends, & family, any time i’ve complained about all these crappy silicon valley companies becoming permanent wallet leeches, i get blank looks. Prime is the only service that anyone I know seems to have (and practically everyone has it). A handful of people had netflix but cancelled it after they got bored with it, and otherwise they listen to the radio & watch olde fashioned cable tv. Every time I bring up services in conversation, I’m the only one who keeps up on this stuff. And yet among the online people, abstaining makes you some weird statistical outlier. Hm.
Not my experience with the middle aged folks I hang around. Most pay for music subscriptions and multiple Movie platforms. For music, probably an even amount between Spotify and Apple Music.… some pay for both.

This poll is teenagers which means from 13 to 19. Most services require a bank account or credit card. Not sure how common that is for 15 year olds... those that have them are often using a parent’s account. My guess is they are mainly using freemium or are on parent’s family plans… As I mentioned before, the freemium model works for Spotify because when they start paying in their 20s, they already have them on board.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
huh that's interesting.

Over here youtube premium (previously youtube red) still comes bundled with youtube music.

Do you live in an area where google had been forced to unbundle the music component from youtube premium?
No. They still include YouTube music with it. They unbundled Google music maybe a year or two before they shut it down and then rebundled YouTube music with it. I never liked YouTube music. Google music was much better designed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.