Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
i am supposed to use something called "telnet" to upload to my college webspace. i am not farmilar with this and am wondering if someone can tell me how to go about doing this and what software i might need?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Assuming you're using a Mac (safe assumption, I think) and that you're using OS X (probably a safe assumption), the easiest thing to do is to open a Terminal (at work now in front of Wintel box, so going off of memory, but I think it's in Applications->Utilities->Terminal).

In it, type 'man telnet' to get help on telnet, or just browse the web for help - tutorials are everywhere.

Type 'telnet site-you're-telnetting-to' in the Terminal to start.

Good luck. It's pretty easy. Note that it isn't secure, though, so use it only if you can't use anything more secure and/or don't care about others seeing what you're uploading/downloading/typing.

Edit:

I'll be working at home this afternoon. I'll check back to this thread to see if you need more help. As of now, I'm so buried in Java code that I've forgotten any specific telnet advice I might give. For example, I'm not sure if you need to enable certain ports through your firewall, but I think you might.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
zimv20 said:
heh heh. yeah, that part is. after that, it's "only unix." hey steven -- you familiar w/ command line unix?

I'm hoping that he's got a document describing what to do once he's got a telnet session open (and, btw, who uses telnet anymore??). Otherwise, he can always post back for help.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
zimv20 said:
you mean, as opposed to ssh, or who still uses command line? (i do)

I meant as opposed to ssh. I still use command line as well, like when I connect to my home Mac from work on the odd occasion that they don't block that port (the idiots are great at stopping non-threatening stuff but terrible at actually securing our site...).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
zimv20 said:
what mechanism do you use to find your home machine? static ip?

I got a free site from DynDNS.org. Lets me use my cable-modem IP, which isn't static but nearly so, by typing in my personal URL. There are scripts there for updating it - I run a cron job every day (or every few hours... whatever, I forget now, but relatively often since it takes all of a second to run) to run one of those scripts to make sure my current IP is up-to-date on their site.

I love this service - it's free, it works, it lets me hook up a webcam for my family to see with an easy-to-remember URL. There are probably others, but this one works great for me. It's just a simple redirect, but I like it. Assuming SSH isn't blocked (enabled on your Mac and where you are), you can log on from anywhere using the URL.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
telnet is not a file transfer protocol, and it is not secure at all, so if they allow telnet they probably allow ftp transfers as well. check that out first, because if they do (allow ftp), you'd be better off downloading "transmit" by http://www.panic.com and transferring your files via GUI.

if you take a telnet connection to one of your university's computer's, it will be just the same as when you open "terminal.app" in your own unix. telnet connection is a remote command-line-interface connection to a unix system in internet. in such a remote session you can do anything you could do locally in "terminal.app", provided your remote user account has good enough access priviliges.

in other words... you cannot copy files from local computer to remote computer within a telnet session - you need to use a file transfer protocol (ftp) for that purpose. the ftp connection can be open (ftp) or secure (sftp), and the transmit app i recommended earlier can do both. secure ftp functions just the same as the regular ftp, the same way that ssh (secure shell) functions just the same as telnet (regular shell).

helpful enough?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Hmmm. Interesting. Looks like you need to get the "Polar" or "Arctos" hostnames from someone (unless they are actually "Polar" and "Arctos" on your intranet).

Once you know that, I would guess that you could either use the native telnet on your Mac or NiftyTelNet, which is easily available on the Web.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Telnet? Is it 10 years ago again already? I read the directions you were given and I'm lost. I wouldn't have even considered using Telnet for this kind of thing since the internet matured. I say demand a better solution from your school.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I think you'd just type telnet polar.bowdoin.edu or telnet arctos.bowdoin.edu into the Terminal on your Mac, if you don't have that "nifty" little app they mention on the instruction page. From there the directions seem pretty self-explanatory.

Those more knowledgeable than I may correct me if I'm full of...well, you know. :p

Edit: pinging polar.bowdoin.edu didn't work, so I am probably full of it. The upshot being that you need the full hostname, not just "polar".

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
rueyeet said:
I think you'd just type telnet polar.bowdoin.edu or telnet arctos.bowdoin.edu into the Terminal on your Mac....

You mean we're actually supposed to give useful advice, rueyeet? ;)

I just tried 'telnet polar.bowdoin.edu'. It works - got me to the login/password prompt. Can't go farther, obviously, as I don't have a password. BTW, 'telnet arctos.bowdoin.edu' also works.

Did it from Applications->Utilities->Terminal.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Horrortaxi said:
Telnet? Is it 10 years ago again already? I read the directions you were given and I'm lost. I wouldn't have even considered using Telnet for this kind of thing since the internet matured. I say demand a better solution from your school.

LOL Its the Unix/Linux/MacOS mantra...everything old is new again. ;)

But seriously, what you're being asked to do isn't super hard. Open Finder, go to the Applications directory. Open the "Utilities" folder, and double click Terminal (square black icon). At the prompt, type "telnet polar.bowdoin.edu" or "telnet arctos.bowdoin.edu" and press enter and pick up at step (5) under Mac instructions.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
rueyeet said:
pinging polar.bowdoin.edu didn't work, so I am probably full of it.
pinging and telneting are different services that an administrator may choose to enable/disable. lack of availability of one doesn't necessarily imply lack of availability of the other.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
hey everyone

this was actually quite easy. i had trouble because i kept trying to use strange apps that i downloaded, but it was very simple in terminal.

thanks for all the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.