Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
so i was in the apple store and they had their table out of opened items, and on the table they had a sign 2 and 4 gig nanos. I assume they were the 1 gen. and i'm tempted to buy one. I like the 2 gen esp the red one but i don't really need it, cause i have my video, it would just be for walking to class or short train rides, waiting at the doc. office etc.
But i had a question how many songs can u fit on your 2 gig nano? realistically?
Also has anyone purchased a refurbished 1 gen nano, how badly scratch was it?
Do you think $100 is worth it. Should i save up and get the 4 gig? or get the 2 gig 2gen?
Josh

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
I would personally just go with a shuffle if I were you --

For the record -- I have a 60 GB iPod video and a 4 GB 1G nano...my nano is scratched up pretty good but I only use it for working out (via the Nike+ running thing)

If I were to get an iPod for what you are gonna use it for I would go with the new iPod shuffle because:

a.) they are so light and small that the only way you'll remember you'll have it with you is because of the earbuds

b.) they are the hot thing to buy

That's just my opinion on what you should do -- I'm sorry if this post somehow came across as being negative (i dunno how, but some people just take things the wrong way)

good luck with your decision

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
i was thinking about it, but i like/am used to have a screen... i'll have to go to the store to check it out

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I've got 348 songs @ 160 kbps AAC on mine right now to actually answer your question. 25MB is used for album artwork and my calendar files.

Personally I think the 1st Gen 2GB Nano is just fine for what you want to use it for. And as far as scratches go, just keep it in the sleeve that comes with it and it won't scratch.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I think you should go with a 1st gen 1 gig shuffle. Belive me, I was used to a screen too, and I thought I would hate the shuffle. But after a while, you don't need the screen. You and the shuffle become one. ;)

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
100 is definitely worth it.
i just sold mine (4gb) which has my name engraved on it, for $170CND (roughly 160usd)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
100 is definitely worth it.
i just sold mine (4gb) which has my name engraved on it, for $170CND (roughly 160usd)

too me for about $20 more i get double the space and a screen over the shuffle plus i get to get some cool accessories like the iskin

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Your refurbished nano won't come with any scratches on it.

I personally just bought one due to the fact that the 2G nanos don't have cases yet. I got a $99 refurb nano and a iSee case for like $120. It was a great deal.

Zac

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2006
England
You can never really ask what one is for you, as it varies so much on what you want to put on it, how many songs, how long, excercise?, and loads more.

One of the easiest ways to find out is make a playlist of some songs you like and see how much memory they take up (bare in mind a 2GB nano would not actually have 2GB of storage space).

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
screw you apple...

well i went to the store and bought a 2 gig nano... but i got the 2nd gen. They had a refurb for 134.95. so for about 30 bucks more i got what i wanted more. I want a red for but its not worth it for me, plus i can always sell this... it came in the new packaging and the only thing i notice is that the click wheel has some dirt on it and a small chip on the bottom near the dock connector. I'm gonna see if i take some ikear and get off the dirt

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
I don't think the 2Gs are going to need cases like the 1Gs. I've got a white and my wife a black 1G 4GB nano, and they are always in Agent18 shields. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a RedPod cause I really like the way it looks. It's had no case and has no scratches anywhere - aluminum or screen! I wear it on the lanyard phones, throw it in my vest pocket(by itself) and slide it around on my desk when I move other stuff. The screen I wipe with a clean finger or microfiber. I think it might be bulletproof like that cell phone in Houston.

Z

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
so i plug my new nano in and it says their is a software update, ok so i click download and this box comes up saying "contacting the ipod software update server..." that took ten mins and now its downloading slow... it says its gonna take 36 hours remamining...
it says for update 1.1.1 is that the newest. I did a search and all i came up with 1.2 but it won't download 1.2:confused:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
anyone have a direct link to the 1.2 download, when it goes through itunes its says its gonna take like 30+ hours :rolleyes: :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.