Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infinity4ever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
San Diego, CA
Ok, I'm trying to reassign my iPhoto default folder to my external drive. I nice person on here gave me directions last week and I just got around to trying them out.

The syntax that I was given was
ln -s /Volumes/External/iPhoto\Library ~/Pictures/iPhoto\Library

where External is my external drive name. Ok I tried this and it says No such file or directory. I used an ls command to verify my path name and files. It seems not to like the \ it ignores it and I get ~/Pictures/iPhotoLibrary as part of the error message.

I think this should be easy, but my UNIX skills are weak :) Help Please :)

infinity4ever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
San Diego, CA
Thanks, now I'm a bit confused. I was told to move the second reference, so of course it isn't finding it. Can you tell me in english exactly what this statement is doing?

Thanks!

infinity4ever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
San Diego, CA
Ok I finally got it to work. I think basically what it is doing is telling iPhoto that the default library is the first location not the second location.:)

masterapple04

macrumors regular
May 26, 2004
Massachusetts, USA
On second glance, you've got the two folders reversed. Instead of:

ln -s /Volumes/External/iPhoto\ Library ~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library

you SHOULD have:

ln -s ~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library /Volumes/External/iPhoto\ Library

Basically, that whole line is making a symbolic link between your original iPhoto folder and the one on your external drive. A sym link basically treats the link like the real thing, but files go to the linked folder.

Also, if you ever need to know what a command in the Terminal does, just type "man" and then the command. So in this case, it would be:

man ln

This opens a manual page for the command where you can see its various switches and properties.

infinity4ever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
San Diego, CA
Thanks!! That makes sense. I used so many different os's over the years that they all seem to blend together. Thanks for the man command. I'm sure that will come in handy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.