Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricChunky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
London
I've just received my macbook this morning
and when the machin starts up, i'm shocked.

There's a huge mark on the center (slightly left) to the screen, like some splitted dark blue ink... i'm terrified and called apple immeidately fo a DOA replacement.

The mark is not "phyisical" i.e. no dents scrathes on the screen cosmetically... it seems like come from the "inside"

However, i leave the machine on for a while , and the mark started to disapear!! the affected area became smaller and smaller, and now all i an see is probably 5-10 pixels (sticked together) and apears as a dark blue dot.

If the mark eventually go away, should i still wait for the replacement? honestly, i love the laptop and really don't want to wait for another 10 days.

Does anyone know what actually the Mark thingy is? Anyone came across it before , even on a PC?

thanks...

Update: Photos proofs

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
If it's happening consistently, then get the replacement. It will be well worth it in the future when the problem gets worse and you aren't covered anymore.

EricChunky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
London
iGary said:
Can you post a screen shot?

A screenshot won't show it, fortunatley i've taken some photos right after i saw the thing... re-sizing it and will upload in a minute

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
My MB screen works perfect. No dead or syuck pixels, but I think these pixels may just be stuck. Try to find that quicktime movie called "pixelshaker". It usually helps off stuck pixels (not dead), and these are stock since they "revive" after a short amount of time. I don't have a link for the movie, but try to google or somethin' like that.

EricChunky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
London
Josias said:
My MB screen works perfect. No dead or syuck pixels, but I think these pixels may just be stuck. Try to find that quicktime movie called "pixelshaker". It usually helps off stuck pixels (not dead), and these are stock since they "revive" after a short amount of time. I don't have a link for the movie, but try to google or somethin' like that.

woo.. sounds like a goood explanation... any more information regarding this "stuck pixels issues"? like, will it have long-term impacts to the quality of the laptop?

didn't apple switched on everylaptop once before they went out of the factory? hmm....

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Put the lid almost closed for a few minutes and see if it gets worse. If it does that is the liquid stuff in the screen seeping through. It means that your display is cracked and toast.

Get the replacement.

EricChunky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
London
After keeping the book running for 3 hours, the mark almost completely gone:

4.jpg

but, should i still get a replacement ?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
As I said, close the lid and see if it comes back. If it does, replace it, if not, you may have just gotten lucky.

EricChunky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
London
yippy said:
As I said, close the lid and see if it comes back. If it does, replace it, if not, you may have just gotten lucky.

yea... will definitly try it later...

i'm now playing lot of frame chanign stuff trying to shake the mark completely off first, if i cant do that, i'll definitly replace it...

thanks for the advice though

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
EricChunky said:
woo.. sounds like a goood explanation... any more information regarding this "stuck pixels issues"? like, will it have long-term impacts to the quality of the laptop?

didn't apple switched on everylaptop once before they went out of the factory? hmm....

well, I don't know, but I'm sure someone like iGary would know how to find pixelshaker. Can't hurt to try...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.