Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozubahn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2003
Connecticut
Are you concerned that your new quad-970 will be too powerful? Worried about all those wasted cycles? Fret not, because NASA has the answer: Don't just add another Konfabulator widget; add Computational Fluid Dynamics! NASA just ported its TetrUSS software package for CFD analysis to OS X.

While I rather doubt that anyone in this forum needs CFD software (I know I don't), I think this is a very cool development. It is definitely good for OS X to be getting recognition from such a credible source. Mac users may be a tiny minority, but it is nice to know we have a rocket scientist or two on our side. :)

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by scmacdaddy
where's this software?

You have to go to their main page and request the software. I wonder if they'd let the average joe get it, since it's free, and has no real restrictions, aside from being a US citizen...

ozubahn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2003
Connecticut
Originally posted by G4scott
You have to go to their main page and request the software. I wonder if they'd let the average joe get it, since it's free, and has no real restrictions, aside from being a US citizen...

I think the lack of a direct download link is probably just to filter out the people who don't need the software and don't know what it is, but want it because it is free.

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
I might actually have a use for this, but I've never used CFD before and don't see any tutorials. How complicated is it?

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
free training

You can attend free training, if you make it out to them during a montly training session.

You probably won't have a use for this unless you are a Physics post grad, or you're designing an airplane (though you could be in both groups for all I know. :)

I'm filling out the request for the Research Institution I work for... but I'm not sure they'll give it to me for the lab machines... We have lots of grad students, and not all of them are US Citizens or permanent residents. This particular Department's Director is in some speed-dials at NASA though, so maybe they'll be accomodating. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.