Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tacofury

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2020
I’ve had this on going issue for about 5 weeks now that I still can’t figure out:

Phones involved: Her and I both have the iPhone XR
Rough Timeline of issue:
-Mid September: She was able to receive iMessages from me, but couldn’t send them. We then switch to Whatsapp to avoid iMessage issue
-Late September: her Whatsapp stops working, she sends SMS that I receive, though it seems as shes tried to send texts prior that didnt make it to my phone. I then reply back with iMessage, she never gets it, so I reply back with SMS which she gets. Texting only works for about 30mins before it completely stops working
-Early to Mid October: our messaging gets worse. She only seems to receive my texts every few days and it only works for a short period of time before they stop working for days again. She’ll be able to send me some messages everyday but my replies rarely ever make it to her. None of my iMessages make it to her over the next 2 weeks despite saying delivered, she only gets SMS. She is able to get Whatsapp working again for a couple days and then it suddenly stops working hours after we last used it together and hasnt worked since.
-Now: up until Sunday night, not a single text (iMessage or SMS) was able to be received into her phone, but it was just 1 message that made it to her. So essentially she wasn’t able to receive a text from me for almost 3 whole weeks aside (prior to Sunday, last successfully recieved text was made Oct 13)

Other details:
- she never seems to receive the texts if I initiate the conversation. If by the rare chance it works, its as a quick reply to something she wrote (the last time I was able to successfully initiate a conversation was Oct 2)
- my phone can still detect she has an iPhone (shows Facetime as an option in her Contacts page, sometimes tries to initially attempt to send an iMessage)
- when I attempt to send an iMessage, most of the time lately, it will send as an iMessage but then changes to SMS
- calling doesnt seem to do anything either. She said her phone doesnt even light up when I call, or even notify her that I did. Always about 1 ring, and then voicemail. I attempted this with a few numbers, plus even having my caller id blocked for a call.
- I contacted my carrier and the network team ran a trace and said there was no connection issue communicating with her phone, they should be delivered
- she said shes able to get texts from others, just somehow not from me.
- since I had a text make it to her the other day, I would assume that means I’m not blocked in her phone.

I can’t figure out what would cause her phone to just not recieve texts from me or any number I try, especially if the carrier says the connection is fine between us.

Does anyone have any sort of idea what could be causing this or any workaround I can try to get a message through?
I have no other means of contacting her (no social media to message, etc) and shes a very important person in my life that I would need to speak to as soon as I can. Thanks for any help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.