Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
I want to help a group of users take greater advantage of QuickLook and came across this tip.

What would be the pitfalls of simplifying a few steps by providing an entire altered info.plist to a user? I'm a little concerned about this passage:

Do a quick search for a key called UTExportedTypeDeclarations (just search for "Exported"). If it's already there, you can continue adding to the array which begins directly after the ExportedType... key. If you come up empty-handed, you'll need to add it yourself by copying in the block below. If you're inserting it yourself and you're not sure where to stick it, look for the CFBundleExecutable key and place the code below right before it.

I'm sure the info.plist file can be altered, but you'd think they'd largely all be the same -- Apple doesn't seem to regularly upgrade TextEdit, if Software Update is any indication. Therefore, why would some folks have UTExportedTypeDeclarations, and some wouldn't?

If the new plist lacks UTExportedTypeDeclarations, what is lost if the altered doesn't?

If the new plist has UTExportedTypeDeclarations, what is lost if the altered one does?

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.