Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiddysent

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
Rock Hill. NY
I olive my 6 plus but am super excited to get the 6s Plus when it comes out. I think that bad boy will have all the kinks out and jut be a smooth running machine. Only thing I miss about android now is the google voice integration.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I really don't get these comments about lack of ability to operate single handedly. My hands aren't particularly large and I manage just fine.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Actually the TLC has a faster read/write but it's been said to cause issues for some users. I have a 128gb 6+ (all 128gb are TLC) and I haven't had a single issue. I think people blew the whole TLC vs MLC thing way out of proportion. If you have problems get it fixed if not don't worry about it.

Edit: I'm sorry I got confused, MLC is "faster".

The best way to remember is the m stands for multi. The t stands for two. Multi is "better" than just two (that's my little way to remember it anyway)

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I really don't get these comments about lack of ability to operate single handedly. My hands aren't particularly large and I manage just fine.
Is it doable one handed? Sure. But it's easier on the 6, and even easier on the 5S. Some people don't like to adjust their grip on the phone to reach the top.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Is it doable one handed? Sure. But it's easier on the 6, and even easier on the 5S. Some people don't like to adjust their grip on the phone to reach the top.

And you don't have to :) the double tap is brilliant, makes it so easy and the timing I find just perfect. But hey each to their own.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
And you don't have to :) the double tap is brilliant, makes it so easy and the timing I find just perfect. But hey each to their own.
Double tap works well when you need to occasionally reach higher up, but not if you need to do it every few seconds to keep reaching the top.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
It doesn't always make a real-world difference.

iPhone 6, no OIS

iPhone 6+ with OIS

iPhone 6, no OIS

iPhone 6+ with OIS
I have read some of these type of reviews, so I thought there would be very little difference. However, the 6 plus photo has significantly more detail..especially in the shadows on the street of the first pic (s). The building also looks sharper. The second pic has a direct light source, so there is not as much of a difference.

I have a 6 plus and I bought it mainly for size, but after seeing these pics (especially the first pic), I would have bought it just for the camera if I was on the fence. I shoot a lot of photos inside with my iPhone since it is often the only camera I have with me and that often means poor lighting. While it may not matter as much when you lose detail in a street, it may mean something when it is a person/place/thing that you want to get the most detail in the photo.

I realize that with Lightroom, you can recover some of the shadows, but you will have more to work with if you use a 6 plus.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have read some of these type of reviews, so I thought there would be very little difference. However, the 6 plus photo has significantly more detail..especially in the shadows on the street of the first pic (s). The building also looks sharper. The second pic has a direct light source, so there is not as much of a difference.

I have a 6 plus and I bought it mainly for size, but after seeing these pics (especially the first pic), I would have bought it just for the camera if I was on the fence. I shoot a lot of photos inside with my iPhone since it is often the only camera I have with me and that often means poor lighting. While it may not matter as much when you lose detail in a street, it may mean something when it is a person/place/thing that you want to get the most detail in the photo.

I realize that with Lightroom, you can recover some of the shadows, but you will have more to work with if you use a 6 plus.

The cameras are exactly the same save for the OIS.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yeah and the OIS obviously helps with sharpness in low light.

It's more correct to say it does not always help in low light. As you pointed out, while there's a difference in the first set of pics, you don't see this same difference in the second set of pics.

The reason it doesn't always make a real-world difference is that the iPhone camera is a wide-angle lens. That's why Canon and Nikon don't include OIS in their wide-angle lenses.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
It's more correct to say it does not always help in low light. As you pointed out, while there's a difference in the first set of pics, you don't see this same difference in the second set of pics.

The reason it doesn't always make a real-world difference is that the iPhone camera is a wide-angle lens. That's why Canon and Nikon don't include OIS in their wide-angle lenses.
it should always help with low shutter speeds on slow moving or stabile subjects when you hand hold the phone. Here is an article on the subject

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulmonckton/2014/10/31/why-iphone-6-plus-camera-beats-iphone-6/

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The best way to remember is the m stands for multi. The t stands for two. Multi is "better" than just two (that's my little way to remember it anyway)
You've got the ff:
SLC = Single Level Cell
MLC = Multi-Level Cell (typically used to denote 2-bit MLC)
TLC = Tri-Level Cell (also referred to as 3-bit MLC)

In general
SLC > MLC > TLC

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
it should always help with low shutter speeds on slow moving or stabile subjects when you hand hold the phone. Here is an article on the subject

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulmonckton/2014/10/31/why-iphone-6-plus-camera-beats-iphone-6/

Speaking of the camera, what practical advantage is there, if any to using the 60 fps setting for shooting videos? It is not enabled by default and I'm sure for a good reason. I would imagine that the only sure thing it does is double the amount of storage taken up by the video files that are created and probably using more battery since it taxes the processor that much more. Those factors alone probably explain why 60 fps is not the default. Standard video seems good enough for my eyes.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yeah and the OIS obviously helps with sharpness in low light.

Having used my iPhone 6 and a friends 6 Plus at a wedding recently, I would say there is very little difference as the pictures in low light came out in the same quality. Of course it should help, but if you have a steady hand it's hardly noticeable between the two. It's not like it's a heavy DSLR where optical stabilisation is an absolute must in low light conditions.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010

Canon and Nikon in turn impose tripod use for the photographer under certain situations. I see lots of difference when I shoot my mirrorless Olympus with in-body stabilization using as wide as 18mm and come back with sharp pics. I tested it with and without and the difference is there. We're talking critical sharpness that close inspection reveals. Though is it visible and required when looking at small pics on screen, such as iPhone? No. No matter what, zooming in on iPhone pixellates. The Olympus gives you file sizes that gratify when zoomed in or printed large. It does take an eye to spot the differences between a low light 6 shot and that of 6 plus. Assuming that the photographer has good repeatable handheld skills to begin with.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Speaking of the camera, what practical advantage is there, if any to using the 60 fps setting for shooting videos? It is not enabled by default and I'm sure for a good reason. I would imagine that the only sure thing it does is double the amount of storage taken up by the video files that are created and probably using more battery since it taxes the processor that much more. Those factors alone probably explain why 60 fps is not the default. Standard video seems good enough for my eyes.
With double the frame rate, you get much clearer transitions when filming moving objects or panning the camera. You can also slow down the video to 30fps and get clear playback at 0.5x speed, which is useful for action or creating a dramatic effect. It doesn't double the space the video takes up. The o ly reason not to use it is if what your filming you don't want to have the "sped up" look.

loveleelatina

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
Had both phones and there is a small difference in the sharpness of the photo but def not a huge difference. They both take great pics and i wouldnt say that that the plus is so much better. For me it was not that much of a difference to base my decision of switching on very minor. Now the battery life is another story...that plus is a beast! I would go 2 days without charging it....the 6 leaves me with 20-30% by the end of the night when it goes on the charger. Still last a full day so for me the fact that I can hold my phone and enjoy doing so was worth the downgrade in battery

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
First time you are going jeans and t-shirt only, in the summer, you are going to miss the more compact size

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.