Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
touch ID definitely slower on iOS 9 on iphone 6, have a 6 running 8.4.1 along side a 6 running 9.0.2, the 8.4.1 unlocks about half second faster

that really shouldn't be but it is. anyone explain why?

why should the "unlocking" be slower with the new iOS?

My theory is Apple slows things down on older iPhones overall in order to entice customers to buy the new one.

Think about- if older iPhone customers bought new ones every year that'd mean more profits for Apple.

It's actually pretty obvious and quite simple to understand.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My theory is Apple slows things down on older iPhones overall in order to entice customers to buy the new one.

Think about- if older iPhone customers bought new ones every year that'd mean more profits for Apple.

Just because it's an idea that doesn't mean it's actually happening.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007

Yes because making a customers experience garbage every year is a great way to entice returning customers.

It's simple alright, some people's oblivious mindset to common sense and reliance on conspiracy theories that don't hold weight under the light of day and rational thought.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Yes because making a customers experience garbage every year is a great way to entice returning customers.

It's simple alright, some people's oblivious mindset to common sense and reliance on conspiracy theories that don't hold weight under the light of day and rational thought.

So what's your explanation?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If my iPhone wasn't slow this idea that I and many others have independtly come up with wouldn't exist in the first place now would it?
All kinds of ideas exist for all kinds of reasons from all kinds of people. Doesn't really mean anything in particular one way or another.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why do you think so many people have the exact same complaint?
People on forums like to nitpick and/or voice their concerns in general (and actually don't represent so many people, especially if we are talking about the overall customer base of iOS devices) and x.0 releases are known to be more buggy.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
So what's your explanation?

I don't have one. I'm quite happy with the performance of my 6 Plus so I can only respond from my personal user experience.

Does my phone drop a few frames now and again? Sure. Does it lag once in a while? Sure. Am I happy with my phone to keep it another year? Absolutely. It's my favorite iPhone to date. Not even close. Do I believe this is Apple's master plan to make me buy a new phone every year? Please. Read above.

Occasional lag and stutter. Some people still post about those issues on the newest phones... And?

Is Apple prepping us for the obsolescence early so we can buy the 7 next year?

I find this whole thing absurd, but again, IM HAPPY WITH MY PHONE! (9.1 beta 5.)

P.S. I have a 5 year old MacBook Pro, a phone that will last me 2 years at least and an Air 2 that will be with me at least another year and happy with the performance of all. So the whole "planned obsolescence" thing isn't working with me so, sorry Apple, bad job IMO.

Last edited:

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
It shouldn't be, and doesn't appear to be for many.

I see you agree that it shouldn't be, but How many have compared this in real time with devices running 9 and 8.4.1 ?

If it shouldn't be, why is it?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
no one ever brought up an idea that VW was cheating on emissions tests yet that happened.
Because VW cheated and Bernie Madoff defrauded investors, it's almost proof positive, apple is trying to obsolete it's own hardware as fast at it can, to get more sales? Really think that is a viable option for apple? Considering the IOS 9 has given my ipad 2 a new lease on it's technology timeline.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
People on forums like to nitpick and/or voice their concerns in general (and actually don't represent so many people, especially if we are talking about the overall customer base of iOS devices) and x.0 releases are known to be more buggy.

Do you think all the people on the forums are lying or that there aren't any people outside of the forums with the same problem?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I don't have one. I'm quite happy with the performance of my 6 Plus so I can only respond from my personal user experience.

Does my phone drop a few frames now and again? Sure. Does it lag once in a while? Sure. Am I happy with my phone to keep it another year? Absolutely. It's my favorite iPhone to date. Not even close. Do I believe this is Apple's master plan to make me buy a new phone every year? Please. Read above.

Occasional lag and stutter. Some people still post about those issues on the newest phones... And?

Is Apple prepping us for the obsolescence early so we can buy the 7 next year?

I find this whole thing absurd, but again, IM HAPPY WITH MY PHONE! (9.1 beta 5.)

P.S. I have a 5 year old MacBook Pro, a phone that will last me 2 years at least and an Air 2 that will be with me at least another year and happy with the performance of all. So the whole "planned obsolescence" thing isn't working with me so, sorry Apple, bad job IMO.

What would make you think that your opinion is the only valid opinion out there?

Obviously there is another group of people who disagree with you.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Because VW cheated and Bernie Madoff defrauded investors, it's almost proof positive, apple is trying to obsolete it's own hardware as fast at it can, to get more sales? Really think that is a viable option for apple? Considering the IOS 9 has given my ipad 2 a new lease on it's technology timeline.

Never said that. The point is that stuff happens behind corporate doors that no one ever expects. can't trust everyone. And there is nothing illegal about "planned obsolescence" unlike cheating emissions

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Never said that. The point is that stuff happens behind corporate doors that no one never expects. can't trust everyone. And there is nothing illegal about "planned obsolescence" unlike cheating emissions
But you left a strong implication that, that was a possible scenario of which I say that type of thinking has a way of making into the public eye. Will really damage apples reputation if senior mgmt. thinks like that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
no one ever brought up an idea that VW was cheating on emissions tests yet that happened.
Sure. I didn't say it couldn't happen. But it also doesn't mean that it is happening just because someone thinks that it is or could be.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Why do you think so many people have the exact same complaint?

Ever notice how no one is really talking or complaining about anything that is actually in or part of iOS 9?

Some (not all) thrive on finding something negative to zone in on. It's something different with every release. Last year it was the animation inside the Weather app when expanding and collapsing a city. iOS 7 was the redesign. This year it's Control Centre, Spotlight and App Switcher animations.

And I wouldn't say it's "so many people". Last I saw (which was over a week ago) 50% adoption rate to iOS 9 on all iDevices. Which would mean tens of millions of people are currently running iOS 9. The small amount of people on here that are vocal are such a minuscule percent of the total user base. And even a small amount of total MR users.

Yes iOS 9 does stutter. Some devices worse than others. And sometimes not even the same amount on same model devices. It's not "planned obsoletness", it's just a case of an early version of a new OS. Has there been smoother iOS versions? Yes. Most commonly brought up one is iOS 6. But since iOS 7, 8 and now 9, it's pretty much been totally rewriten from the ground up since 6. iOS 6 was also far less complex and had a totally different UI with totally different animations.

Reactions: magicman32

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
What would make you think that your opinion is the only valid opinion out there?

Obviously there is another group of people who disagree with you.

If you actually read and comprehended my post, I framed it many times that it was from my user experience. So please, stop putting words in my post that weren't there and changing the context. Read it again.

And there are many that disagree with you and your blanket statements. So where are we?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tycho24

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do you think all the people on the forums are lying or that there aren't any people outside of the forums with the same problem?
Nothing of the sort. But there's nothing to indicate that there are some sort of widespread and/or severe issues (and certainly much less so than with more recent previous x.0 updates overall).

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
If you actually read and comprehended my post, I framed it many times that it was from my user experience. So please, stop putting words in my post that weren't there and changing the context. Read it again.

And there are any that disagree with you and your blanket statements. So where are we?

As long as you don't think your user experience is going to be everyone's user experience. This thread was made by people who have a concern about a problem they've been having, which you've stated you don't have.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Ever notice how no one is really talking or complaining about anything that is actually in or part of iOS 9?

Some (not all) thrive on finding something negative to zone in on. It's something different with every release. Last year it was the animation inside the Weather app when expanding and collapsing a city. iOS 7 was the redesign. This year it's Control Centre, Spotlight and App Switcher animations.

And I wouldn't say it's "so many people". Last I saw (which was over a week ago) 50% adoption rate to iOS 9 on all iDevices. Which would mean tens of millions of people are currently running iOS 9. The small amount of people on here that are vocal are such a minuscule percent of the total user base. And even a small amount of total MR users.

Yes iOS 9 does stutter. Some devices worse than others. And sometimes not even the same amount on same model devices. It's not "planned obsoletness", it's just a case of an early version of a new OS. Has there been smoother iOS versions? Yes. Most commonly brought up one is iOS 6. But since iOS 7, 8 and now 9, it's pretty much been totally rewriten from the ground up since 6. iOS 6 was also far less complex and had a totally different UI with totally different animations.

General slowness of the device overall isn't the same as the weather app acting buggy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
General slowness of the device overall isn't the same as the weather app acting buggy.
And that general slowness of the device overall isn't something many have been experiencing. Some certainly have, as some have had various other issues as well, as has been the case with many updates in general.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

And yet it was complained about just as much and was always nearly the first question asked when a new update or even new beta build was released, "is the Weather app animation stutters fixed?"

It is pretty close to the same. They're both animation stutters and both are/were obsessed about.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I couldn't believe it, but my cousin's iPhone 5 on iOS 9 is smoother than my iPhone 6 Plus. I mean, butter smooth. Man, the 5 held up really well. But seriously, my coworker's Galaxy S6 was way smoother than my 6 Plus.

There's lag typing, entering/exiting apps, and in multitasking. Its abysmal.

Reactions: CupertinoSlave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.