Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
UK
In the tool bar sometimes when you boot, pretty sure after installs, you get a little text file type icon flash in your toolbar then go away, if your quick enough to get over it it says reg something I think, anyone know what this is about?

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
Boot your machine from the installation CD that came with it, then repair permissions on your boot volume.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
dmetzcher said:
Boot your machine from the installation CD that came with it, then repair permissions on your boot volume.
No, no, no, no...

You must not boot from CD/DVD to repair permissions, because permissions change and if you do that you very well get old and most likely wrong permissions.

You must boot from CD/DVD (or boot into single user mode) to repair disk, but never to repair permissions, unless you have severe problems that don't allow you to repair permissions on your boot disk otherwise (and then, most likely, repairing permissions won't help, anyway ;)).

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
No, no, no, no...

You must not boot from CD/DVD to repair permissions, because permissions change and if you do that you very well get old and most likely wrong permissions.

You must boot from CD/DVD (or boot into single user mode) to repair disk, but never to repair permissions, unless you have severe problems that don't allow you to repair permissions on your boot disk otherwise (and then, most likely, repairing permissions won't help, anyway ;)).
Correct. Sorry about that. You repair permissions using Disk Utility, and can also verify the disk (if you are using 10.4.3 or higher), without booting from the CD. You must use the installation CD (boot from it) to repair the startup volume, if the disk verification discovers any issues.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
dmetzcher said:
You must use the installation CD (boot from it) to repair the startup volume, if the disk verification discovers any issues.

The pedant in me says to use fsck rather than the install disks for the same reasons. The fsck process is updated with the system but the disks obviously are not. :eek:

Of course, this isn't a big issue. :)

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
UK
ah ok found out something, I looked in start up and noticed E-reg as a start up item, i hover over it and see application/palm/e-reg. I do use a palm that i sync with my ibook. E would suggest electronic and reg...registration, but why each time you boot?

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
captainbeefheat said:
ah ok found out something, I looked in start up and noticed E-reg as a start up item, i hover over it and see application/palm/e-reg. I do use a palm that i sync with my ibook. E would suggest electronic and reg...registration, but why each time you boot?

It's probably checking to see if your palm is connected or not, so if it is, it can load the necessary extensions at boot up, rather than have to wait for them to load later......

OR, it could be phoning home to let someone know that you are starting up your system.....eewwwww

need to stop it NOW if this is the case :( Check your ipfw logs for outgoing communications.......

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
The receipts folder on the disk being checked or repaired is the source of information for permissions flags, so it's perfectly fine to use a different boot drive (even a different version) for this task. The version-specific task is repairing checking/repairing the disk structure (fsck).

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
iMeowbot said:
The receipts folder on the disk being checked or repaired is the source of information for permissions flags, so it's perfectly fine to use a different boot drive (even a different version) for this task. The version-specific task is repairing checking/repairing the disk structure (fsck).
It might work in some cases (look above), but I wouldn't do it... I frelled up a machine really bad by repairing permissions using Terminal while logged in over the network... that didn't look in the right place at all... luckily all I had to do was repair permissions locally on the other machine to fix it... :)

It might work better with Disk Utility, but I stand by my original advice, to only repair permissions on your boot disk while logged in as admin on that same disk... ;)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
It might work in some cases (look above), but I wouldn't do it... I frelled up a machine really bad by repairing permissions using Terminal while logged in over the network... that didn't look in the right place at all... luckily all I had to do was repair permissions locally on the other machine to fix it... :)
The networking part would be your problem, as diskutil is for use on local disks and only on local disks. A local boot disk/CD/DVD is an entirely different matter.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
iMeowbot said:
The networking part would be your problem, as diskutil is for use on local disks and only on local disks. A local boot disk/CD/DVD is an entirely different matter.
I used ssh via Terminal into an admin account, so it shouldn't, but you never know... :)

It's just that there has been reports, not many I admit, about people getting in trouble when using Disk Utility's repair permissions when booting off a CD/DVD, and that has been because it has read receipts from the CD/DVD and not the HD, which of course messes things up... bad...

Remember: Better safe than sorry... ;)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I used ssh via Terminal into an admin account, so it shouldn't, but you never know... :)
So then, you're saying that you ran the machine's local copy of diskutil and it screwed itself up? That would be identical to running the program from the GUI, even running the same copy of the program. Or are you talking about something else, such as running a machine headless while booted from an install CD? Doesn't seem so, since you were able to use the GUI...

It's just that there has been reports, not many I admit, about people getting in trouble when using Disk Utility's repair permissions when booting off a CD/DVD, and that has been because it has read receipts from the CD/DVD and not the HD, which of course messes things up... bad...

Problems like that can generally be traced back to finding that permissions weren't the real problem. They should be checked last, after ruling out other options. If the disk structure is hosed or the hardware isn't right, changing flags is only an invitation for more trouble. Those permissions were changed by something, almost certainly a hardware fault or a user mucking around with system folders.

If user intervention can be ruled out as a cause, then the possibility that the computer randomly changed a few permissions on Installer-placed files and only those permissions is vanishingly small; there is almost certainly more corruption where that came from and the "repair" is overlooking the real problem.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
iMeowbot said:
So then, you're saying that you ran the machine's local copy of diskutil and it screwed itself up? That would be identical to running the program from the GUI, even running the same copy of the program.
Yes, I know... :)

Or at least, that's how it should be...

iMeowbot said:
Or are you talking about something else, such as running a machine headless while booted from an install CD? Doesn't seem so, since you were able to use the GUI...
No, no, no, I only tried doing it over ssh to not have to get up and move myself the 3 meters to gain physical access to the other machine... I'm lazy that way... :eek:

So, when I just frelled it up worse, then I had to move my a...self over to the other machine and run repair permissions as usual. ;)

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
UK
SmurfBoxMasta said:
IIRC, System prefs >> Sharing >> Firewall >> Advanced >> Activate logging >> set choices for output file :)

(can also be done in terminal if you know how)

ah ok yeah so won 't be able to tell...it's palm its hardly an unknown make I would assume if they were doing dodgy things it would have been covered by now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.