Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
At least now we know City are still vulnerable at the back. Rodwell, Lescott and Clichy the weak links.

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Clearly a number of key Reading players were inspired by their inclusion in my fantasy football team. No need to thank me. ;)

;)

Disappointed in the Pog though, didn't win many balls and looked sluggish. Oh well, may take a few matches to get used to the Prem.
McClearly looked immense though, albeit running against tired legs, he cut through the Stoke defence like a knife through butter.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Houston 2-2 Columbus (we are now 8-6-8)

A draw on the road against Houston is not a bad result. But we would have won this match if it hadn't been for some rookie mistakes late on. Higuain got an assist, so he is slotting into the team nicely so far. We need wins now; we are 7 points out of a playoff spot and need to make up ground.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
^
Hahaha.

On another note; Everton were immense today! showed how its done. Rock solid defending. Fellaini on a personal mission.

Saw RVP make some good movements but no Song in midfield to capitalise.

EDIT: Think i'm going to revise my prediction. City will get the title. The weakness in Utd's midfield is becoming ever more obvious. Once you mark Kagawa out of the game (not hard by any means) you've won half the battle. Nani has deteriorated, Scholes is more liability than anything else. Rooney seems to like giving the ball away in recent times. RVP needs good service or else...

Plus City have that famous "Never Say Die" mentality that has been SAF's trump card for many years. Because of the way they won the title last season.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Yes, that was a nice one.

On the downside, always when I play these Fantasy Manager games I go with the big guys and watch my darker side wanting them to destroy those nice, little puppies...ehh clubs.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
That was one of those games where you just knew that United were going to equalize and then press for a late winner...yet they didn't. It was also strange to see a strong Everton performance at the beginning of the season. The blue half of Liverpool has gotten off to a much better start than the red half - and against a much better opponent.

Fellaini is hot and cold. Today he was hot.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Fellaini is always "hot" against United. Able to use his size and strength to bully United's midfielders all day long. Why SAF has an allergy to traditional DMs is hard to fathom. Someone like, say, Tiote would vastly improve United's squad.

A bit premature to revise predictions after one game, especially after a tough away trip against a squad that matches up very well against one's own. A lot of United players will have to perform better (Nani, Rooney, Welbeck, Vidic) and the defense needs some better luck health-wise for a change. Four out of five central defenders out, and it's only Week 1!

I actually thought Kagawa looked pretty good for his first BPL match. His teammates need to get on the same wavelength as him ASAP — he's going to make some good things happen.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
A bit premature to revise predictions after one game, especially after a tough away trip against a squad that matches up very well against one's own. A lot of United players will have to perform better (Nani, Rooney, Welbeck, Vidic) and the defense needs some better luck health-wise for a change. Four out of five central defenders out, and it's only Week 1!

It's a long season yet. In some ways it won't be much different from last season. Man City has a better squad with a very good manager, Man Utd has a better manager with a very good squad. Vidic will be key for United. Another injury like last season's is unlikely, but they can't afford to lose him like that again - especially with Ferdinand being unreliable. Still waiting to hear about the damage to Aguero's knee - but City have a happy Tevez (for now) so the short term impact will probably not be that great.

Speaking of central defense woes, Liverpool are about to find out what life without Agger would be like, thanks to his suspension. I felt a cold sweat come over me when they subbed Carragher in. He's a museum piece now. He's just too slow, regardless of his undeniable ability to read the game.

2020mike

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Good win for Everton today, first time in 5 years they have won their season opener. I like what I saw today and hope they dont hit the first half slump that they are notorious for.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Rumours are saying Silva has stalled on renewing his contract at City because he wants a £200k salary. I think SAF should've/should sign someone like him and/or a Tiote as Silencio pointed out...or even Song!

I just don't think Carrick or Scholes is the answer in central midfield and i don't fancy Cleverley against the top teams either. Kaka would also just be another patchwork, the fact that Madrid are willing to sell him off outright should be clue to that. He is not the same Kaka...hasn't been for several seasons now.

Speaking of midfielders it seems the Sahin deal has been finalised and he is set to be announced as an Arsenal player within 24hrs. But we have no option to keep him at the end of the season because Mourinho refused an option-to-buy clause. :rolleyes:

Can't say i blame him since Alonso is 30 now and can't play forever.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Speaking of midfielders it seems the Sahin deal has been finalised and he is set to be announced as an Arsenal player within 24hrs. But we have no option to keep him at the end of the season because Mourinho refused an option-to-buy clause. :rolleyes:

That's the problem and I don't see the real benefit. He didn't play a serious match for more than one season, is completely new to the PL and when he's finally integrated has to move back to the special one. Not so cool.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I think Wenger knows this too which is why he is still looking at M'Villa, Biglia etc. Rennes have come out and said M'Villa's fate is down to Spurs or Arsenal.

Also think Wenger is just sentimental towards Sahin and wants him however way he can get him. He's been tracking the lad since 2005!

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Kagawa; good on YouTube, good in pre-season, and good last night - a fine signing.

Rooney and Welbeck don't look fit, but that can be fixed, as can the defence, hopefully, and it would be nice to have a midfielder capable of decking Fellaini and the like - 'Try that sh:eek:t again and I'll make sure your season is finished.' On the plus side for Fantasy Football, after a number of years the Everton players look like they will deliver within 10 weeks.

Manchester City; how are they without Kompany and Yaya? I'd like to see them get injuries to 5 or 6 first team players - Arsenal, Aston Villa, Spurs, Manchester United etc. last season, be interesting to see how they cope.;)

Cheers,
OW

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Kagawa was United's best player.

Rooney and Welbeck don't look fit, but that can be fixed, as can the defence, hopefully, and it would be nice to have a midfielder capable of decking Fellaini and the like - 'Try that sh:eek:t again and I'll make sure your season is finished.'

If I recall, Paul Scholes has something of a reputation for putting in wild, dangerous tackles...

On the plus side for Fantasy Football, after a number of years the Everton players look like they will deliver within 10 weeks.

It is a strangly strong start to the seaspon for them - though to be fair, Timmy Howard has always been consistent.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings

If I recall, Paul Scholes has something of a reputation for putting in wild, dangerous tackles...

Yep, could've been sent off last night, but I mean someone physically intimidating; meet forearm smash/elbow with the same and more - telling the opponent 'Cut it out, or go off on a stretcher'. Hopefully the ref sees the initial assault and shows red - guess Marriner missed Fellaini on De Gea.

twietee - Kagawa - my worry is how he will do in console game form.:)

Cheers,
OW

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.