Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2020mike

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
The Africa nations Cup could lock up Ba and Cisse for a month, so Newcastle are probably looking for cover there.

If Rogers thinks Carroll must go, then I'm behind it. But I think we'll struggle to sell him for much over 10 million, and I don't know who Rogers is thinking of replacing him with. Right now we have Bellamy (probably gone soon), Suarez, Carroll and Borini - and if we get rid of two of those we'll need to sign one more striker, as I think we need three.

That's fine, I'll just pop in my 2008 season DVD and re-live the magic of Chad Marshall leaping like a salmon over Brian McBride to power in a header and help knock the Fire out on our way to MLS Cup. ;) (2008 seems so long ago now :eek:)

We've very up-and-down this season and the natives are restless over our manager. I think our performance this season will go a long way towards determining whether he stays or goes. Two losses in a row now.
And it only took them 14 years to win a MLS cup ;) . Defiantly did sting though to lose in 08 but Marshall was just a beast all that season.

I think if Warzycha can find a way to sneak the Crew into the playoffs they might have mercy on him. It seems frequent this year that a lot of teams seem to hit a skid but bounce back after 2-3 loses. I just wish LA would keep their skid going.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Liverpool have rejeceted Newcastle's approach for Carroll.

Can't say i blame them. There is some twisted irony there if the merchant that sold you something for £35m which turned out to be a dud for the most part, asks that you lend it back to them...just for a bit. No refunds or anything of the sort of course.

2020mike

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012

Can't say i blame them. There is some twisted irony there if the merchant that sold you something for £35m which turned out to be a dud for the most part, asks that you lend it back to them...just for a bit. No refunds or anything of the sort of course.

I like your assessment of the situation. I really don't think pool will lend Carroll out right now. He seems to have come into form during the Euros and maybe pool is looking to see if it will carry over before writing him off on a loan spell.

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library

I can't blame them for rejecting NUFC's approach, as much as I'd like to see him back in the black and white where he belongs. However, as I said before, right now it doesn't make much sense to try to sign him, unless we get him for a bargain basement price.

Andy was on fire during the 09/10 season for us in the Championship, and was having a great season up to the January window in the 10/11 season. For his sake, I hope he finds his form again. (I can't imagine the pressure that he must feel with that £35m price tag).

I wonder how well he'd do at West Ham with Kevin Nolan once more. Those two were definitely in sync during the 09/10 run.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
That's fine, I'll just pop in my 2008 season DVD and re-live the magic of Chad Marshall leaping like a salmon over Brian McBride to power in a header and help knock the Fire out on our way to MLS Cup. ;) (2008 seems so long ago now :eek:)

We've very up-and-down this season and the natives are restless over our manager. I think our performance this season will go a long way towards determining whether he stays or goes. Two losses in a row now.

craziest season ...

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'm against the idea of loaning Carroll. If he fits Rogers' system - and that seems not to be the case - he should stay; if he doesn't fit the system he should be sold. I have nothing personal against Newcastle, but considering how much we paid them for Carroll I would be very reluctant to give him back to them at any price other than something close to what we paid (and that will never happen).

EDIT: The latest news is that Liverpool have put a 20 million pound price tag on Carroll. That represents a substantial loss, but it's still enough to buy a good striker. Assuming we actually do sell him for that price. I think there is still a possiblity he will stay with Liverpool, at least for this season, if we don't get a good offer. But it seems that Rogers has probably decided he's not a long-term solution for us.

And it only took them 14 years to win a MLS cup ;) . Defiantly did sting though to lose in 08 but Marshall was just a beast all that season.

I think if Warzycha can find a way to sneak the Crew into the playoffs they might have mercy on him. It seems frequent this year that a lot of teams seem to hit a skid but bounce back after 2-3 loses. I just wish LA would keep their skid going.

Columbus is a small market, so for us to win at all was a big deal...Marshall had a career season in '08, though he's been consistently good since then apart from all the concussions.

Most supporters feel that Warzycha must get us past the first round of the playoffs or they will lose confidence in him. I don't think it's an unrealistic goal but unless we solve our problem with scoring it will not be easy. Our new forward Arrieta debuted in our disappointing 2-0 loss to KC, but he looked decent. I'm hoping he is better than the last 4-5 forwards we've signed....

pachyderm said:
craziest season ...

It was...I'm grateful that I was able to be there for a bunch of the home matches.

Last edited:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Any Wendies who 'follow' him on Twitter need to immediately 'unfollow' him, it's the only way to deal with that man.

Meanwhile, it seems that our feeder club Manchester United are planning on using Robbie Brady as a left-back during pre-season, and potentially as cover there for competitive matches too. Having seen a fair bit of him last season he definitely looked more winger than defender so it seems a strange move, unless Sir Alex is planning on pulling a Jordi Alba on him.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Actually, I'm carrying on following him for now in the hope I get advanced warning of impending doom, or jubilation as he rubbishes the speculation (please, please please!!)

Just followed you as well :)

Last edited:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Hey, so you have! :)

If you're expecting me to be like Barton and spend my time quoting Smiths lyrics or picking fights with Gary Lineker, I fear you may be a tad disappointed. :eek:

I'm an unusually optimistic Spurs fan.
I give you until late August before your optimism has evaporated. ;)

Meanwhile, our pre-season got underway in traditional style last night with a win over local non-Leaguers North Ferriby United. It also presented the first opportunity for our new polyester rags to be worn in anger...

ferriby.jpg

...and they still look like a training kit. Pah. :(

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings

Meanwhile, it seems that our feeder club Manchester United are planning on using Robbie Brady as a left-back during pre-season, and potentially as cover there for competitive matches too. Having seen a fair bit of him last season he definitely looked more winger than defender so it seems a strange move, unless Sir Alex is planning on pulling a Jordi Alba on him.

Giving him the chance to make more tackles.;)

Ferguson; "Brady is an outside-left but we believe there's a possibility he will develop into a left-back..." just in case you are a club trying to flog us someone who plays in that position. :)

Cheers,
OW

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland

Understandable really. 3rd division minnows Rangers got off to a good start last night thrashing division 1 giants Airdrie 2-1. But then the newco got hit with the news that the SFA are punishing them further for the actions of the previous owner/company, which doesn't make sense.

Don't follow me, I'm just gibbering on about the golf at the moment.

@Jaffa:
Can you make this one in green?

For a Celtic strip, I don't find that offensive at all. Apart from the ridiculous celtic band around the badge.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Lee Dixon has announced he is leaving the BBC team.

Sidenote why is Alan Hansen being paid £40,000 a week from tax-payers money to essentially tell viewers what they've just seen with very little insight if any?

Wealth distribution in football never ceases to amaze me.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
meanwhile in Germany:

Gladbach finally used part of the Reus-riches and bought 21 year old Luuk de Jong from Twente for 14 mio €, (which i have to say is an excellent choice)

on a comical note: Magath at VFL Wolfsburg just can't stop buying players, having announced that bought Naldo from Werder Bremen (making him the 39th player and _8th_ central defender in the squad)
... and hit karma yet again as Naldo seems to have failed the medical test and thus the deal is off again ;)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
meanwhile in Germany:

Gladbach finally used part of the Reus-riches and bought 21 year old Luuk de Jong from Twente for 14 mio €, (which i have to say is an excellent choice)

on a comical note: Magath at VFL Wolfsburg just can't stop buying players, having announced that bought Naldo from Werder Bremen (making him the 39th player and _8th_ central defender in the squad)
... and hit karma yet again as Naldo seems to have failed the medical test and thus the deal is off again ;)

..and seems to be on now. Magath is some kind of a running gag.

I'm still a little bit mad about Gladbach, because they got the - by far - most intelligent and sympathetic coach around, and got him just like that , because my team had a confused managment-intern fooling around and throwing him out because of nothing. Plus they have deCamargo, who I truly hate from the depth of my heart.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
..and seems to be on now. Magath is some kind of a running gag.

I'm still a little bit mad about Gladbach, because they got the - by far - most intelligent and sympathetic coach around, and got him just like that , because my team had a confused managment-intern fooling around and throwing him out because of nothing. Plus they have deCamargo, who I truly hate from the depth of my heart.

Hertha ? you are a port fella indeed... if anything Gladbach showed how close the Bundesliga is in quality behind the top 2: Gladbach had two top transfers (Stranzl + Nordveit) and Favre and suddenly they went to become european material within half a year after being nearly regelated ?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Hertha ? you are a port fella indeed...

Don't know what a port fella is...but a poor fella, that's quite right.

And Gladbach, besides that I like the team except deCamargo, are playing a very hard to beat, intelligent football since 1 1/2 years. Which is exactly the time Favre is working there and is the style Hertha played during his time there. But you're right of course, the Bundesliga is quite close in terms of competitivness (?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.