Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
He wasn't with us during the time of the team talk so we can't blame that at least. :D

I'm sure it was playing on his mind ;)

But it's as you say: the real problem people are not being called to account at Chelsea. People like Benitez and Torres might be underperforming and deserve criticism, but ultimately they are being scapegoated due to a failure on the part of fans to call out the real culprits, because those culprits are untouchable.

Chelsea are flopping this season because of the meddling of Roman Abramovich and a couple of his suits. That's it, pure and simple.

Seems you lot already beat me to what I was going to say. Saw this morning that Benitez has said he's off in May, in a somewhat rather angry outburst, and I can't say I blame him. Seems he's regretting taking the position in the first place. The problem was, the fans were on his back as soon as it was announced he would be the interim manager. I just don't understand Chelsea fans. Unfortunately I think winning last seasons CL may have been down to them having a 'cup run' rather than them being a dominant force in Europe, but their fans just don't see it and are clearly deluded. They had a rather ageing squad of 'stars' which certainly aren't the future of Chelsea, yet any talk of replacing them is met with uproar. Now while Lampard may well deserve a contract extension, Benitez seems to have gotten some of the blame for not signing him up for the next 5 years, despite openly saying in a post match interview it wasn't anything he was involved in. While ever Abramovich and his suits run the club, and the manager is infact just a coach, then blaming the manager for the clubs failings is misguided. Yes, Benitez hasn't done a good job with what he's been given, to be fair, but when the fans want you out before a ball's been kicked, and your hands are tied in other ways, it was always going to be difficult. Are the Chelsea fans worried that if they do point the finger at Abramovich, that they'll loose their sugar daddy?

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
their last 4 opponents were: Bremen, Arsenal, Wolfsburg and Schalke

sure Bremen is in a slump because of lack of funds and average rooster
Arsenal and Schalke are CL Teams
Wolfsburg has boat load of funds and their squad is better than their current league position indicates

it's gonna be a challenging game for both sides
I would have to disagree with you there, Bremen's roster isn't that average, but the coach isn't and hasn't been able to get the defense behavior working correctly for years. The only teams that I see coming before Bremen rosterwise are the ones in the top three. Eintracht Frankfurt and SC Freiburg don't have a better roster on paper than Bremen, they only difference is that they know switch well between offense and defense, something that Bremen has lost, since Schaaf became coach there.

I see neither as real competition for a focused Bayern squad. Schalke has its obligatory midlife crisis, you said it yourself about Bremen, Arsenal isn't strong enough either, they will get kicked out of CL 'im hohen Bogen'. Well, Wolfsburg had a hard time winning against Offenbachm, but played well against Bayern, that's true. But of course, all of that is just my opinion.

They aren't bad teams in general, it's more that Bayern is really hungry this year and super focused. I'd like to see them playing Milan, Real or United. Haven't seen Juve this year so far, I guess they are pretty strong, too.

Milan vs. Bayern would be a treat, I think Bayern are finally able to overcome their biggest opponent in the last decade of CL opponents. Hey Inzaghi isn't playing anymore! ;):)

As for yesterday's game, it was obvious that Bayern was really motivated and really wanted to beat Dortmund.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Make it happen, Roman.

I would love nothing better than to see Brave John Terry at the helm at Chelsea. Comedy gold. He would combine all of the character flaws of Paul Jewell, Joe F Kinnear, Paolo Di Canio and Glen Hoddle (and a few others I've forgot) into one hilarious tenure.

Do it Roman, please.

As an aside, the last few Chelsea managers have had pretty spotty win/loss records, despite plenty of evidence that they were good managers. On the other hand, much of the team are made up of aging players who are near the latter part of their careers and are clearly not as good as they were a few seasons ago. The overhaul hasn't happened fast enough. I doubt Mourinho could win the league with this squad.

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I would love nothing better than to see Brave John Terry at the helm at Chelsea. Comedy gold. He would combine all of the character flaws of Paul Jewell, Joe F Kinnear, Paolo Di Canio and Glen Hoddle (and a few others I've forgot) into one hilarious tenure.

Do it Roman, please.

As an aside, the last few Chelsea managers have had pretty spotty win/loss records, despite plenty of evidence that they were good managers. On the other hand, much of the team are made up of aging players who are near the latter part of their careers and are clearly not as good as they were a few seasons ago. The overhaul hasn't happened fast enough. I doubt Mourinho could win the league with this squad.

Paolo Di Canio
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20928212

who knows if he would have really gone through with it or not. But I like the fact that he made the statement.
and i know he eventually quit but i like his spirit... is that crazy?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I was referring more to Di Canio's fascist leanings, but while he has many flaws a lack of passion for the game is not one of them.

Then again, perhaps that passion is precisely what leads him towards more extreme behavior in general.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
For once, I can say that somebody is finally sending the right message. I wish the part about matches without supporters was imposed more often with respect to racist chants involving top division clubs across Europe. It would make clubs much less tolerant of bad behavior from certain "fans".

Well done to the KNVB.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Nice win for the Tigers, Jaffa...and Cardiff really seem to be choking now.

Liverpool perform pretty well against teams around or below them in the table. But they have yet to really convince against the top 5-6 teams in the league.

Suarez is having a great season though, I think he has clearly proved himself at this level. Coutinho has had a great start to his Liverpool career.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Nice win for the Tigers, Jaffa...and Cardiff really seem to be choking now.

Liverpool perform pretty well against teams around or below them in the table. But they have yet to really convince against the top 5-6 teams in the league.

Suarez is having a great season though, I think he has clearly proved himself at this level. Coutinho has had a great start to his Liverpool career.

Suarez = POY ? I think he is a very strong candidate.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
POY? Shouldn't 'Y' be 'S'? I'm joking. :)

Fine finishing by Liverpool for 3 of the goals, but an abysmal Wigan created a lot of good chances. Not sure why Martinez let McArthur, McCarthy and Figueroa stay on.

Cheers,
OW

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Rumours of a £1.5bn takeover from the middle east seeping out.

If true, the part of me craving a change is interested, but on the other hand, the cynical part of me is wary.

Either way the story is likely BS.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Rumours of a £1.5bn takeover from the middle east seeping out.

If true, the part of me craving a change is interested, but on the other hand, the cynical part of me is wary.

Either way the story is likely BS.

It may not be.

Here's the thing: someone from Dubai may be interested in buying out Arsenal, and they certainly have the money to do it. Emirates (the airline) is the main sponsor of the team, and maybe someone in the Dubai government is wanting to expand it to complete ownership of the team.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Football from the Eredivisie.

Friday
Vitesse 2 vs Utrecht 0
Just hours before the match it was announced that Theo Bos had died, he was Mr Vitesse, he had been both player and on the training staff. He was 47 years old and had been diagnosed with cancer. There was a minutes silence before the match and on 4 minutes the match was again stopped, Theo Bos had shirt number 4.
The match it's self was very one sided. Again that man Wilfried Bony was the difference.

Saturday

PEC Zwolle 2 vs Willem II 0
PEC helped themselves with a good win, an begin to climb out of the danger area. This match had no cards of any colour, which given the current tone in Dutch football is surprising.

PSV 2 vs VVV Venlo 0
PSV again did what it had to, the game was so strange PSV scored in the 3rd minute and the 90th minute. The rest of the game was played out at a very low tempo, and was boring.

FC Twente 0 vs Ajax 2
Twente sacked Steve McClaren and Alfred Schreuder will want to forget his debut. Twente have lost their way, Ajax are better away from home this season, but this win keeps the title race open.

Sunday
NEC 0 vs Feyenoord 3
With this win Feyenoord keep the title race very interesting, NEC have been very erratic this season.

In the title race eight points cover the top five teams.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Oh well, thats that. Season over.

It may not be.

Here's the thing: someone from Dubai may be interested in buying out Arsenal, and they certainly have the money to do it. Emirates (the airline) is the main sponsor of the team, and maybe someone in the Dubai government is wanting to expand it to complete ownership of the team.

If true part of me hopes it happens and Kroenke doesn't get in the way.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Oh well, thats that. Season over.

If true part of me hopes it happens and Kroenke doesn't get in the way.

It's tough times for Arsenal. The problems on the pitch and off it are linked, but which is greater? It's currently fashionable among pundits to class Wenger as outmoded and obsolete in his approach to the game, and over-fond of cheap French prospects versus proven talent. On the other hand the board, like Exxon, continues to announce greater and greater prfots with glee while averything around them goes to the toilet.

The most effective thing the fans could do would be to simply not show up to games in order to demonstrate their disapproval. But that never happens. Neither Liverpool nor Man Utd fans were able to to that in recent years despite being highly displeased with the running of their clubs.

Wenger is the man in the hot seat, because managers always are. If a new man comes in, will it really make a difference alone? Is the problem Wenger or Kroenke & the board?

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
It's currently fashionable among pundits to class Wenger as outmoded and obsolete in his approach to the game, and over-fond of cheap French prospects versus proven talent.
We all know that's not true. That accolade now belongs to Newcastle ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Chivas USA 0-3 Columbus

A solid away win and a clean sheet against the hapless Goats on Saturday night. Higuain and Chicago import Oduro both notched goals, Higuain's knuckleball wiffling through the air before going in off the post. Andy G made some good saves to keep his clean sheet, and our new-look (and Stoke-sized) back four looked pretty good. A great start to the season, but most games will probably be tougher than this one.

On a worrying note for Chivas, attendance was just over 7,000 and I heard that corporate sales accounted for about half of that. The stadium looked empty.

On another satisfying note, overhyped league golden boys New York Red Bulls only managed to scrape a 3-3 draw after being 3-1 up earlier in their match against Portland.

We all know that's not true. That accolade now belongs to Newcastle ;)

Apologies to Daneoni, but the difference is that Newcastle's Frenchmen are playing well. Wenger has been outfoxed in French recruitment by Alain Pardieu.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.