Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
If winning the Super Bowl is "poor", then that's fine with me!!

Regular season means nothing...make the playoffs, and then go from there. I agree their schedule will be tough but you never know which teams year to year will be good and which will be bad...that's why they play the game on the field, and not on paper (cliche but true). I am happy with out poor skilled QB!!!!

----------

Oh and how many years ago has it been whenTom Brady outplayed the lucky, unskilled Joe Flacco?? The last 3 games our crappy QB has absolutely outplayed Hall of Famer Tom Brady...but keep on hating!!

This is the NFL. The regular season DOES mean something. A non-existent Patriot defense does not mean Flacco is better, his stats speak for themselves: He is mediocre, I don't see why you started arguing against it. In a QB league you need an all star QB to make it far. There is always a fluke every so often.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
The Ravens wins are more so from the D than the offense. You cannot deny that the Ravens got lucky more than one occasion in the playoffs which resulted in a win.

The same could probably be said for most teams that make playoff runs. Alot of these games come down to one play... a blown call by the refs, blown coverage, missed kick, dropped pass, fumble..... It happens almost every year. thats the nature of the NFL playoffs.

This year the Ravens got lucky with that blown coverage by Denver's safety.... But last year Flacco made a perfect game winning pass which his receiver did not secure and a NE defender stripped.... then his kicker missed a chip shot FG which could have tied or won the game (can't remember which right now) So one could say NE got lucky and the Ravens were on the unlucky end.

Last edited:

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Tom Brady signs 3 year, $27 million extension that gives the Patriots cap relief and ensures he'll retire a Patriot.

The guy is truly the greatest - and not just statistically. He's left money on the table in each of his contracts to ensure the Patriots would be able to field a competitive team around him every year. He puts his money where his mouth is, and I couldn't respect him more. I'm also excited about the extra cap space. It's a huge luxury in the current NFL climate.

In 2005, after his third Super Bowl title, Brady agreed to a six-year, $60 million deal, which at the time was dwarfed by Peyton Manning's contract, which averaged $14.2 million a year. This year, clearly, he is doing exactly the same thing -- in fact, giving the team even more of a hometown discount -- with one goal in mind: to keep the Patriots competitive for the rest of his career. He's putting his money where his mouth is. He knows it's easy for him to make millions in endorsements. One teammate once said about Brady he would be such a sore loser he'd do whatever it takes to never lose.

At a time when the growing market for quarterbacks pegs the average per year at about $20 million -- Drew Brees and Peyton Manning are there, and it's likely Super Bowl champ Joe Flacco will be there soon -- Brady's average over the next six years will be consistently about 30 percent lower.
It's very likely Brady feels the same way today as he felt in 2005, when he did the last sub-market deal.

"To be the highest-paid, or anything like that, is not going to make me feel any better,'' he said in 2005. "That's not what makes me happy. In this game, the more one player gets, the more he takes away from what others can get. Is it going to make me feel any better to make an extra million, which, after taxes, is about $500,000? That million might be more important to the team.''

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Tom Brady signs 3 year, $27 million extension that gives the Patriots cap relief and ensures he'll retire a Patriot.

The guy is truly the greatest - and not just statistically. He's left money on the table in each of his contracts to ensure the Patriots would be able to field a competitive team around him every year. He puts his money where his mouth is, and I couldn't respect him more. I'm also excited about the extra cap space. It's a huge luxury in the current NFL climate.

He just took 60% less than market value to free up 15 million dollars in cap space! so awesome.

His cap hit for this coming 2013 season is closer to Mark Sanchez than Peyton Manning. Wonder how Rex feels about that? :p:D

Last edited:

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
His cap hit for this coming 2013 season is now $100k less than Mark Sanchez. Wonder how Rex feels about that? :p:D

If I had made a bet that you were going to say that, I'd be driving an Aston Martin at this very moment. I understand the rivalry and all that, but I wish we could just enjoy the good things that happen to our team without rubbing it in the Jets'/fans faces.

I know, I'm unfun, but I've seen this reaction on a few message boards/tweets and it's just like, blah. Obvious.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Contrast Brady's 3 year- $27 million extension with Mark Sanchez' 3 year - $40 million. Just threw up in my mouth…again.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
If I had made a bet that you were going to say that, I'd be driving an Aston Martin at this very moment. I understand the rivalry and all that, but I wish we could just enjoy the good things that happen to our team without rubbing it in the Jets' faces.

I know, I'm unfun, but I've seen this reaction on a few message boards/tweets and it's just like, blah. Obvious.

I saw it on another board but the numbers were actually off.. but still... it's just for comparison.

We can do it without the Jets though if you like?

Flacco just asked for 140 million over 7 years.. 20 million a year. Peyton Manning makes well over that.

Brady? 14 million. Baltimore is going to end up paying as much for Flacco as we could be paying for Brady AND Welker combined. That's a crazy hometown discount.

Denver pays more for Manning than we pay for Brady AND Gronk.

Can't imagine the NFLPA will be happy with this haha

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I saw it on another board but the numbers were actually off.. but still... it's just for comparison.

We can do it without the Jets though if you like?

Flacco just asked for 140 million over 7 years.. 20 million a year. Peyton Manning makes well over that.

Brady? 14 million. Baltimore is going to end up paying as much for Flacco as we could be paying for Brady AND Welker combined. That's a crazy hometown discount.

Denver pays more for Manning than we pay for Brady AND Gronk.

Can't imagine the NFLPA will be happy with this haha

This isn't the first time he's done this, either. He's left a lot of money on the table over his career. It's amazing, really. There won't be another like him for a long time.

I also think this means Welker will be back. As a Patriots fan, this is basically an amazing day. The cap is supposed to go up in 2015, until then, he just gave us some flexibility.

But yeah, comparing his deals (over his whole career) to guys like Manning, Brees, whatever Flacco gets, etc. just shows that he cares more about winning than money. A rare trait in pro athletes. I trust the Patriots to address the team's needs in FA and the draft. I'll be setting up a shrine to everyone staying healthy now.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
This isn't the first time he's done this, either. He's left a lot of money on the table over his career. It's amazing, really. There won't be another like him for a long time.

I also think this means Welker will be back. As a Patriots fan, this is basically an amazing day. The cap is supposed to go up in 2015, until then, he just gave us some flexibility.

But yeah, comparing his deals (over his whole career) to guys like Manning, Brees, whatever Flacco gets, etc. just shows that he cares more about winning than money. A rare trait in pro athletes.

It helps when his wife is like the #1 supermodel in the world and has 10x the net worth he does. ;)

But it just proves that the only thing he really cares about is making a few more runs at that 4th ring.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
It helps when his wife is like the #1 supermodel in the world and has 10x the net worth he does. ;)

But it just proves that the only thing he really cares about is making a few more runs at that 4th ring.

He's been taking hometown deals since before Gisele. I really think the "get every cent" thing just isn't him. Now he has even less reason to argue over millions, but he's shown it's the kind of guy he is.

I hope the Patriots reward him.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
He's been taking hometown deals since before Gisele. I really think the "get every cent" thing just isn't him. Now he has even less reason to argue over millions, but he's shown it's the kind of guy he is.

I hope the Patriots reward him.

I'm sure the deal is loaded with incentives that they expect him to reach.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
The Denver Post is reporting that the Broncos have signed Wes Welker to a 2 year deal. This is great news for the Broncos!:D

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22782280/broncos-interested-patriots-wes-welker-stokley-market

Good riddance. You better hope Denver plays him a lot because he's a primadonna about playing time now. And he'll end up dropping the ball when it actually matters.

This should make the Pats/Broncos rivalry a little more interesting I guess. Hope Bill is going to bring in some guys to strengthen the defense.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Lots of other big free agent moves besides Welker to the Broncos. Percy Harvin goes to the Seahawks. Anquan Boldin is now a 49er, Reggie Bush will be playing with Megatron next year as a Lion, and to make up for losing Welker the Pats sign Danny Amendola. Mike Wallace went from the frigid winter of Pittsburgh to the sunny skies of Miami, Jared Cook is now a Ram, and Rashard Mendenhall is a Cardinal. Shonn Greene will be running in Tennessee with CJ2K and Martellus Bennett will be catching passes from Jay Cutler in Chicago.

It's going to be interesting to see how different things are next year. :)

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Lots of other big free agent moves besides Welker to the Broncos. Percy Harvin goes to the Seahawks. Anquan Boldin is now a 49er, Reggie Bush will be playing with Megatron next year as a Lion, and to make up for losing Welker the Pats sign Danny Amendola. Mike Wallace went from the frigid winter of Pittsburgh to the sunny skies of Miami, Jared Cook is now a Ram, and Rashard Mendenhall is a Cardinal. Shonn Greene will be running in Tennessee with CJ2K and Martellus Bennett will be catching passes from Jay Cutler in Chicago.

It's going to be interesting to see how different things are next year. :)

It seems like this is the most activity I've seen in the offseason in awhile.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Yep, and all signs point to Tony Gonzalez coming back and not retiring. The Falcons are loaded on offense for next year. They will be fun to watch.

Gonzalez has already signed as well
And they wrapped up Sam Baker too
The offense has the potential to be one of the best

While the offense is ready, but we have some desperate needs on defense
Letting Abraham created a void
We need DE, LB and CB help bad

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
and to make up for losing Welker the Pats sign Danny Amendola.

Just wanted to throw this out there:

The Pats actually signed Amendola the day before Welker signed with Denver. They actually wanted to sign them both to play together but Wes was asking for (and got offered) more money from Denver than the Pats wanted to spend on that position. Belichick is trying to use his cap space to load up on defense and also build an outside-the-numbers passing game. They signed Donald Jones this morning (from Buffalo) but I still wouldn't be surprised if there's another move to be made.

Lots of big names have been visiting Foxboro this week.. Adrian Wilson, Dwight Freeney, possibly Ed Reed? Gonna be interesting to see what way they decide to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.