Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
The only TS programme I've heard that is worth a listen is the Danny Kelly presented 'My Sporting Life'.

Fantasy football is happy with the Liverpool defence; Skrtel, Moreno, and Lovren were given the bonus points for the Hull City game. Still can't work out how the points are awarded. :)

Cheers,
OW

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Liverpool won, but against an average team missing 5 starters. Balotelli scored, but Liverpool failed to keep a clean sheet. Mixed result, then.

Lazar Markovic is looking increasingly like another Alberto Aquilani.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Looks like it'll be Chelsea's cup this year.

Newcastle send City out at the Etihad.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Looks like it'll be Chelsea's cup this year.

Chelsea don't even really need to be that good to win the league and cup this season, everyone else is flaky.

If Mourinho could pull his head out of his backside and stop trying to defend narrow leads (like the draw at OT) and try to run up scores, he would sweep this league aside.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
The Toon army marches on. LFC really not at the races at this point in time.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The Toon army marches on. LFC really not at the races at this point in time.

NUFC are on a run right now, so this result is not surprising. And while the defense wasn't great, this result is really not their fault; Liverpool should have been able to muster at least one goal and couldn't do it.

Liverpool have been outspent by the CL-bound teams and many of the players they did buy are just not panning out.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Brendan needs to think about playing two up front Balo clearly not the lone striker type player.

Meanwhile Chelsea never left 1st gear today and still managed to be gifted 3pts. Southampton still marching on. And Alexis once again drags his team over the line.

Now then will City find something tmr or will be a fun day out for United.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Liverpool would benefit from starting Lambert over Baliotelli. Up top, they are flat. It's like Baliotelli's on a different team. They need an opportunist to finish some of the build ups they produce. Baliotelli finds a way to crush the momentum. I feel like Lambert, given all 90, would find a way to finish. He's a scavenger and that's what they need.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Liverpool would benefit from starting Lambert over Baliotelli. Up top, they are flat. It's like Baliotelli's on a different team. They need an opportunist to finish some of the build ups they produce. Baliotelli finds a way to crush the momentum. I feel like Lambert, given all 90, would find a way to finish. He's a scavenger and that's what they need.

Baliotelli :D

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I for one still cannot believe that Southampton is second in the EPL.:eek:

The table in the Eredivisie has a very familiar look, like it was decades ago.

1 PSV
2 Ajax
3 Feyenoord

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
I for one still cannot believe that Southampton is second in the EPL.:eek:

The table in the Eredivisie has a very familiar look, like it was decades ago.

1 PSV
2 Ajax
3 Feyenoord

Haven't really played the tougher fixtures though, and they don't have the squad depth and experience of the other big dogs.

But its still breath of fresh air to see one of the littler teams that had been written off mixing in among the top dogs.

Meanwhile, City win despite Oliver's attempts and few can argue about the result.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Haven't really played the tougher fixtures though, and they don't have the squad depth and experience of the other big dogs.

But its still breath of fresh air to see one of the littler teams that had been written off mixing in among the top dogs.

Do not get me wrong I do understand that they will not stay in that position.

But they sold many good players, a new manager, and they were one of the teams that most people thought would go straight down to the bottom.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I think we need a huge defense overhaul in January to make it to the top four.

You needed a huge defensive overhaul before the season started, pretty much everyone knew that. I'm just not seeing Falcao and Di Maria gel as a defensive partnership though ;)

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Shame Man U lost the game all because of Smalling :mad: I think we need a huge defense overhaul in January to make it to the top four.

The first card was BS by Oliver, the second just as ridiculous by Smalling - 11 v 11 doesn't mean 1 point or 3, but down to 10 didn't help. The ref was poor for both teams; missed 1 if not 2 penalties for Manchester City and failed to send off 3 of their players - Hart, Demichelis, and Zabaleta. No City booking until around 60 minutes, WTH! Saw the last 30 minutes of the Aston Villa match, again with the referee; should've been 10 v 10 but Mason escapes and the balance of the game is changed.

The defence needs to be close to injury free - a back four getting a good run of games together; take the number of players out of any team and the lazy will cry not enough purchased. Don't think a huge overhaul is needed; cover for Rafael and an experienced 28 to 31 year old CB to keep things calm. Garay was on the cards until Moyes nixed the deal, along with Thiago and Strootman.

Cheers,
OW

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Columbus 2-4 New England

It happened over the weekend but I didn't have the heart to post till now. The Crew's playoff dreams are mercilessly crushed by a team we beat twice in the regular season. You can look at it one of two ways. On the one hand it sucks to be in a good run of form and lose unexpectedly. On the other hand the parity of MLS teams and the playoff system means you are unlikely to see the kind of boring domination that is common in Europe.

It's a two-legged playoff but even if New England get two early red cards I can't see us scoring three unanswered goals away from home. :(

RE: Manchester Derby If Oliver gets every call right, Man City wins by more than one goal anyway. But he did have a terrible performance. LVG has done less with more, but given the time and amount of money he will be allowed he will be given going forward, I'm sure things will pan out.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings

RE: Manchester Derby If Oliver gets every call right, Man City wins by more than one goal anyway. But he did have a terrible performance. LVG has done less with more, but given the time and amount of money he will be allowed he will be given going forward, I'm sure things will pan out.

If Oliver gets it right, all we know is Manchester City are down to 10 men with the sub keeper on, then we see how 10 v 11 plays. I disagree LvG has done less, the team is playing better football and has some fight - streets ahead of Moyes.

Forgot MLS is on cable here; timer set to record - no opposition given but it says 2nd leg and Revolution won in October.

Cheers,
OW

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The playoffs in the MLS East are less meaningful because Seattle and LA are so strong right now, I don't see any Eastern teams taking the title though one might make the final.

It's a disappointing end to what has been a surprisingly successful season for Columbus and I hope the new owner and manager can build on it next season.

If Oliver gets it right, all we know is Manchester City are down to 10 men with the sub keeper on, then we see how 10 v 11 plays. I disagree LvG has done less, the team is playing better football and has some fight - streets ahead of Moyes.

Moyes should have told Ferdinand to go shove it on day one; he lost the dressing room very early on. LVG is the better manager for United, but right now everyone is comparing him to Moyes based more on what they think he will do at United rather than what he has accomplished. Even Ferg struggled with certain player personalities, so LVG might face some of that this season yet. I think optimism is warranted but he's proved very little as yet.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
OW

Hart didn't actually touch Oliver as video replays show.

If Oliver gets it right, Rojo and/or Fellaini might've joined Smalling in an early shower. Two pens (arguably three) given. Carrick gets a yellow for his efforts.

United should really be thankful De Gea is in goal. Otherwise the goal difference would've been in tatters by now. De Gea, Lloris and Courtois easily the best keepers in England and with Neuer, the best 4 in the world.

Personally, i'm not convinced by LvG as an EPL Manager. But he is arguably a better option than Moyes at least.

Moyes is a don't get beat first, try to win second man. Whilst LvG seems attack but don't forget to defend which is more suited to United i guess.
Klopp is a everybody attack/defend with energy. Pep is keep possession and the rest will follow. Mourinho is defend and counter.

At least United have an easier run of fixtures coming up which will allow them to get points on the board. So top 4 is still very much on. Nowhere near winning the title though. Not sure about a cup either. But we'll see.

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Hart didn't actually touch Oliver as video replays show.

If Oliver gets it right, Rojo and/or Fellaini might've joined Smalling in an early shower. Two pens (arguably three) given. Carrick gets a yellow for his efforts.

United should really be thankful De Gea is in goal. Otherwise the goal difference would've been in tatters by now. De Gea, Lloris and Courtois easily the best keepers in England and with Neuer, the best 4 in the world.

Hart rushed to the ref in an aggressive manner and put his head in; if he didn't touch, it is by luck.

Rojo looked a good tackle and there is no way Fellaini gets a card of any colour, same with Carrick. The penalties have been mentioned but best not talk about the other side of the coin, it wouldn't suit the lazy lard arsed media.

Thank the Gods Manchester United have a keeper.:)

On the penalty front, the ref missed at Crystal Palace.

Lord Blackadder,

Moyes should have told Ferdinand to go shove it on day one; he lost the dressing room very early on. LVG is the better manager for United, but right now everyone is comparing him to Moyes based more on what they think he will do at United rather than what he has accomplished. Even Ferg struggled with certain player personalities, so LVG might face some of that this season yet. I think optimism is warranted but he's proved very little as yet.

When LvG arrived the optimism was based on achievements elsewhere and that he couldn't be worse than Moyes, now it is based on his work at Manchester United with his canon there to reassure. Without what has been done this season, the supporters wouldn't be positive about what they think he will do. The media focusing on points are missing the point - boom boom. Of course, it could stagnate or reverse.:)

With regard to personalities, it helps if the manager has the right constitution and some ground to stand on. Moyes and Hodgson?

Matters Liverpool; good idea if Rodgers leaves out Gerrard, get the team playing without him plus a test of character during and after the game. EDIT - they may win but it looks as if Rodgers has thrown the game hoping it will help v Chelsea.

Cheers,
OW

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Liverpool have everything to lose by trying to play attractive football in Madrid. There is a small chance of a draw if they play like Chelsea and park the bus. Lump long balls up to Lambert for 60 minutes and/or pray that Sterling produces a moment of magic. Bench Gerrard and pack the area with red shirts. At this point I see no shame in that. If we play a more open game we'll end up looking like Gibraltar.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Seems Brendan has given up before kickoff even begins by fielding a second string side. But who knows they might pull off a miracle.

EDIT: Oh dear Arsenal...

Meanwhile Madrid get the job done but Liverpool's second string proved more difficult for Madrid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.