Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Per Mertesacker has retired from Germany international duty. 29 seems young for a center back but the Germans have plenty of talent to draw on - and Mertesacker himself has over 100 caps and a World Cup medal to show for himself. Go out on a high.

He's like Butterfingers, even the volcano doesn't want him. ;) My folks will be in the USA later; any recommendations re sweets - small bar type - available in bags?

I have heard that Europeans (and yes, you British-types fall in that category as far as we are concerned ;)) find American chocolates to be cloyingly sweet. To that end, you'll want to avoid anything that is 'milk chocolate' and steer towards the dark chocolate. Other than that, peoples' tastes vary widely so it's a bit of a crapshoot.

Last edited:

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Its quite impressive he only notched 1 Yellow card and 0 Reds in 104 appearances. 100 of which were starting XIs.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
He's like Butterfingers, even the volcano doesn't want him. ;) My folks will be in the USA later; any recommendations re sweets - small bar type - available in bags?

Tilpots; I need to find a beautiful island to relax on. Do you star in the video?

Kariya - Welbeck - reeks of click bait.

Cheers,
OW

I'm a big fan of Dove's dark chocolate.

And no, not me in the vid. Don't want the island to get more overrun than it already is. ;)

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Mainz has lost its DFB-Pokal match against 3rd league Chemnitzer FC in penalties. (Just after being thrown out of Euroleague Cup qualification). Well, lets see how the Bundesliga season goes with the new coach, then...

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Credit to Gary Monk and his boys, few would have predicted a win for them here. LvG's golden willy seems to have failed him here in his first truly competitive fixture in charge of Man Utd. Wonder how much difference RVP will make when he returns.

EDIT: Snodgrass has gone down injured for Hull and had to be subbed. Hope its nothing major, Jaffa?

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Good win for Jaffa's boys, though they sat so deep at the end it made me nervous. 'Arry's QPR threw the kitchen sink at Hull late on. Terrible decision by the ref to award QPR that late penalty but justice was done and they missed it.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Lord Blackadder and Tilpots - thanks re the chocolate.

Fletcher, Herrera taken off, and Blackett puts guests first passing the ball straight to Bony so the Swan can take a quick free kick - I said he could play a part. :eek::rolleyes::D Also, the passing was off again. If Rooney scores the free kick and Blackett slows Swansea, it would only paper over like Ramsey's goal. Over to Liverpool, Manchester City, and Chelsea for a convincing performance.

Could be worse, could have Gylfi and McGregor on the bench... Oh:eek:

Cheers.
OW

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Arsenal lost their first game and went on to sit at the summit for 120 days. LvG also lost his first game at Bayern but went on to win the Bundesliga.

The United loss isn't the end of the world. However, it should send a wakeup call to Woodward and LvG that they need to go shopping. Take Rooney and DeGea out of the team and its a mid-table team at best.

The people at United seem to think because SAF won the league with that team that they're good enough. The reason they won the league was because;
1) They had SAF
2) They had an in-form RVP
3) Their rivals were terrible and didn't put up much of a fight

OT is no longer a fortress, and their squad is no longer intimidating. Many more teams will be coming with the confidence they can (and likely will) get something.

If the suits/manager stick with this squad again this season then everyone associated with United should brace themselves.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
^Not just an in-form RVP, but a healthy RVP. Under Moyes Van Persie reverted to his old fragile self. LvG needs to find out how to keep RVP (who, it must be noted, did not play all that well at the WC, aside from one amazing diving header) healthy.

LvG's comments after the match surely indicate more signings are on the way before the window closes. The top four have all spent a lot of money this summer though, so playing catch is going to be expensive. Speaking of which, Rogers seems to still be looking for a striker at Liverpool. I hope they don't buy Eto'o.

I love the opening day of the season. Pundits fill the airwaves with predictions and are inevitably proven wrong once matches are actually played.

It will be interesting to see how Liverpool/Chelsea/Man City fare.

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Took Ajax long enough to score the third, now Old Southampton v New Southampton.

Edit:

Liverpool get away with it; best team lost. They have speed onto a long ball and little else. If Sturridge or Sterling are injured, they are screwed. Manchester City and Chelsea left.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
A very pre-season performance by Liverpool. None of Coutinho's through-balls found their mark, lots of sloppy turnovers from everyone, not enough possession in the midfield and a general lack of sharpness. Sturridge and Sterling looked OK on the attack but had to drop deep. Lambert came on and spent most of his time in Liverpool's half as an auxiliary defender. The new back four played like the old back four.

Southampton, despite having their squad eviscerated over the summer, looked excellent, slick and composed. They were the better team and deserved at least a draw, perhaps a win. But it's the scoreline that counts and somehow Liverpool edged it.

An optimist would say this is all preseason rust that the club will shake off. If so, they'd better do it fast.

Talk from Bruce of potential knee ligament damage, but we'll find out more over the next few days.

That aside, a good win for us. Anything which makes 'Arry sad can only be a good thing. :p

Bad news then. :(

As for 'Arry, what you've probably made him do is go sign more players. 'Arry loves a good signing more than anything. ;)

Columbus 4-1 LA Galaxy

Meanwhile, in Ohio...Columbus battered the Galaxy at Crew Stadium last night, a lovely August evening. Best, most convincing win we've had for a long time against a club who, while not really in form, have a far more expensively assembled squad. We remain in dire need of a striker, but we still have a good shot at the playoffs this season with a kind schedule.

EDIT: Man City see off a feisty Newcastle with the kind of professional performance you'd expect from a team with unlimited wealth. A much more convincing win than Liverpool or Arsenal managed. It would be folly, given the strength of their squad, not to expect them to put up a very strong title defense. And who knows, maybe they'll actually do something in Europe this time around.

Last edited:

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Predictable weekend in the end. All the 'big guns' got their wins. Well except for LvG who instead got a baptism of fire both on and off the pitch.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
With Chelsea facing newcomers Burnley tomorrow I expect it to be business as usual for the wealthy clubs.

Liverpool face Man City away next week, and I would be shocked at any result other than a solid Man City win. Liverpool may end up having a good season but at the moment they look much inferior to Pellegrini's men.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Good time to play Manchester City; think they got away with it as much as Liverpool.

I don't know, I thought Man City looked much more comfortable in possession and held on to the ball better - though they still did have a certain early-season rustiness. Who knows, maybe Liverpool will get lucky steal a result. It's still too early to even begin evaluating how the league will play out - the transfer window hasn't even closed yet.

I will say this though - given the strength of their squads Chelsea and Man City have no excuse for not finishing in the top 2 spots.

Sounds like Columbus Crew v Manchester United would be a decent match-up.

Well, I'd love to see the Man Utd suits make Columbus part of the preseason tour. :)

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Hmm, Chelsea concede after 13 mins.

EDIT: And Costa equalizes almost immediately.

EDIT2: And Cesc assists for Schurrle to take the lead. Game over, I imagine, after just 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Yup. Game over.

Dat pass from Fabregas tho...

And of course cue everyone querying why Wenger didn't take Fabregas back to the Emirates.

EDIT: Robbie Savage already crowning Chelsea champions because beating newly promoted Burnley is the hallmark of champions apparently. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
And of course cue everyone querying why Wenger didn't take Fabregas back to the Emirates.

According to an Arsenal-supporting friend: "because we don't need yet another small, scurrying midfielder." Possibly a fair assessment - I think Arsenal would benefit more from any of a strong center back, quality holding midfielder or decent No. 9. Shame to see him at Chelsea though.

EDIT: Robbie Savage already crowning Chelsea champions because beating newly promoted Burnley is the hallmark of champions apparently. :rolleyes:

Burnley looked decent and played hard but Chelsea have spent ungodly amounts of money on their squad over the years - and have one of the top handful of managers in the world. They should expect to win this game comfortably, and they have. As you said before, no real surprises this week. Every top club has strengthened and I fear this maybe a fairly boring season with very predictable results. All we have to hope for is the race for fourth, a surprising cup run or shock relegation.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
According to an Arsenal-supporting friend: "because we don't need yet another small, scurrying midfielder." Possibly a fair assessment - I think Arsenal would benefit more from any of a strong center back, quality holding midfielder or decent No. 9. Shame to see him at Chelsea though.

Agreed. The presence of Ozil and Ramsey (and Chamberlain, Cazorla, Wilshere etc) means bringing Fabregas into the side has very little supporting argument other than its Cesc Fabregas, because it means someone will have to be benched indefinitely.
Can't bench the guy you just spent £42m on, and you can't bench the guy who is almost single-handedly responsible for your success last season and is in the form of his life.

Plus i think Wenger secretly resents everyone that deserted him in his time of need.

As you said before, no real surprises this week. Every top club has strengthened and I fear this maybe a fairly boring season with very predictable results. All we have to hope for is the race for fourth, a surprising cup run or shock relegation.

One or two injuries to the big guns in each team and it gets interesting again.

If Costa or Fabregas gets injured it'll be back to square one. City's Aguero is yet to play a whole season without injury as far as i remember. Liverpool without Sturridge, Arsenal without Ramsey etc

You never know.

But on paper its looking predictable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.