Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Same. I took some web dev/HTML & photoshop courses at my local community college as electives out of highschool in the late 90s and I recall having to go out and buy the zip drive pictured and 5 disks for those classes. I still have a number of website assignments I built for the courses stored on them - being an avid FPS clan gamer at the time, many of them are clan sites centered around the games we/I was active on - goofy webring, archaic web1.1 kind of stuff :) At this point I have a number of scsi and usb zip100s and a B&W & DA with them built in, so they are still used when I am feeling nostalgic. I've gone far enough to have a couple different icons specificly for the different designs of them.

Now speaking of odd removeable media cravings - I would love to get my hands on a magneto drive + the zip bezel and put that into my quicksilver. Super duper cool and extremely reliable.
I have all my coursework for that time period sitting on my G3 server. I recovered it off the Zip disks at some point. The sad thing, is other than the HTML stuff I need OS9 to view most of the stuff properly as it was done in OS8 versions of Director and After Effects.

Reactions: lepidotós
When I first moved to Phoenix, the newspaper I worked for was using 100mb Zip disks to send our paper to the printer. I don't recall any issues (other than fonts)…

Offhand, do you happen to remember the name of that third-party Quark Xtension which would handily collect all pre-press materials needed for the document into one location (i.e., a directory of one’s choosing), so that when one sent off the job to be printed, everything the service bureau needed, including linked images and fonts, were all tidily kept in the same place as the Quark file?

In my old age, I have completely forgotten what it was called, and I also have no idea whether the Xtension was updated for use on OS X versions of QXP.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Offhand, do you happen to remember the name of that third-party Quark Xtension which would handily collect all pre-press materials needed for the document into one location (i.e., a directory of one’s choosing), so that when one sent off the job to be printed, everything the service bureau needed, including linked images and fonts, were all tidily kept in the same place as the Quark file?

In my old age, I have completely forgotten what it was called, and I also have no idea whether the Xtension was updated for use on OS X versions of QXP.
That would simply be Collect for Output.

If it was an XTension, then that must have been for version 3.x. I came in (professionally) at version 4.0 which already had that as a stock feature. Its remained in every version since. File>Collect for Output.

Right now with my current job, we're on QXP 2020. I use that every so often just to get the fonts.

If it was an XTension, then that must have been for version 3.x. I came in (professionally) at version 4.0 which already had that as a stock feature. Its remained in every version since. File>Collect for Output.

OK. Back during the 3.1/3.31/4 days, this was a third-party thing. I wasn’t sure if you were doing stuff with QuarkXPress back in those days.

With File > Collect for Output, that definitely integrates what should have been an in-application feature from the outset.

Right now with my current job, we're on QXP 2020. I use that every so often just to get the fonts.

I think the last version of QXP I worked with was QXP 2017. In a mess of ways, Quark 8/9 ended up being my happy place for getting stuff done during my post-design career days (I used it quite a bit during uni, including for many on-screen presentations and also for my thesis layout).

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OK. Back during the 3.1/3.31/4 days, this was a third-party thing. I wasn’t sure if you were doing stuff with QuarkXPress back in those days.

With File > Collect for Output, that definitely integrates what should have been an in-application feature from the outset.

I think the last version of QXP I worked with was QXP 2017. In a mess of ways, Quark 8/9 ended up being my happy place for getting stuff done during my post-design career days (I used it quite a bit during uni, including for many on-screen presentations and also for my thesis layout).
Yeah I started professionally on 4.11 in 1999. School training was 3.something.

In between I went to InDesign and then with the current job back to XPress.

At home, for personal use, I'm using Adobe CC20/21.

Last edited:
Reactions: B S Magnet

DucMike

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
Sacramento-area, CA
Guess I fit in as a member then. Picked up a 23" HD courtesy of shopgoodwill but I haven't been able to verify that it works yet since a) my G3 Blue & White isn't pushing enough VRAM, & b) the DualHead2Go that I sourced to go between the A1006 and previously-mentioned G3 seems to be having issues. The LED comes on red for a split second, then shuts off; taking whatever USB power supply with it. I've tried it plugged into the USB 2.0 card, in addition to my higher-wattage travel charger but no go. Need to see if I can find something that'll go between the adapter & my iMac G4...

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
I guess this kinda needs to be here too:
IMG_0103.jpeg

Also got a 22" but since neither is in use atm I don't have a picture ready.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
i have a 22" ADC and i had to mod mine so it would work. before, every so often i noticed it wouldn't turn on when the mac started up. first i thought it was all the boards in it, so all of them got replaced and then it started working again. it was a little less than a month later that the same symptoms came back. after doing some digging inside the LCD, i found out that the power connector was faulty. and faulty right at the end of the connector. so i had to strip some of the red +25v wire and splice in a new wire while still retaining the connector. after that, the lcd has been running like a champ ever since.

musicbymuzak

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
TX
I have one 20" and one 22" acrylic ADC studio display. The 22" has some marring from being tossed around by the previous owner but both have broken feet :( It doesn't seem anyone ever came up with a metal foot or some way to stick these things onto a standard VESA wall mount, which is kind of disappointing. Right now they are leaning off each corner of my desk against the wall. Is there any alternative besides the easily broken OEM foot?

Another question - are these picky with HDCP/HDMI? I have 2 different Windows laptops, one with displayport and the other HDMI, even with the right adapters they don't seem to like these displays. I can connect both to my 2011 MBP and they work fine...

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
Another question - are these picky with HDCP/HDMI?
They both predate HDCP but lack an internal scaler so if they’re not fed their native resolution they’ll remain black. Check the resolution and if the EDID is read correctly. What adapters are you using?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I have a 23 Cinema Display (Aluminium), which I reluctantly had to stop using many many years ago.
It suddenly developed a single horizontal (EDIT) black line near the bottom (EDIT).....:confused:

Is this fixable....?
Really can't bring myself to throw it (monitor is mint, box is mint).

After my recent success with my G4PB drive upgrade, I am more confident opening up the display if required, if it was just something loose.

F47A4F64-6A68-4CDB-8442-69877D9B4A68.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: B S Magnet

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
I was able to hook mine up to hdmi, using an assortment of adapters. Rx 570 hdmi out to dvi, then the dvi into the dvi to adc brick and then my 22 ran from that. Sure it didnt look nice at oddball resolutions but it did run. Anything past 1680x1024 didnt run at all

Reactions: Amethyst1

DucMike

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
Sacramento-area, CA
Guess I fit in as a member then. Picked up a 23" HD courtesy of shopgoodwill but I haven't been able to verify that it works yet since a) my G3 Blue & White isn't pushing enough VRAM, & b) the DualHead2Go that I sourced to go between the A1006 and previously-mentioned G3 seems to be having issues. The LED comes on red for a split second, then shuts off; taking whatever USB power supply with it. I've tried it plugged into the USB 2.0 card, in addition to my higher-wattage travel charger but no go. Need to see if I can find something that'll go between the adapter & my iMac G4...
And as luck would have it; the thing works perfectly. Lucked into a super-cheap dual-core PMG5 and once I got the password spoofed, I was able to plug the adapter box into the DVI port & make sure that all worked. Bypassed the box & plugged directly into the ADP port and we're still good. Super-stoked that it wasn't a waste of time/money.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I have a 23 Cinema Display (Aluminium), which I reluctantly had to stop using many many years ago.
It suddenly developed a single horizontal (EDIT) black line near the bottom (EDIT).....:confused:

Is this fixable....?
Really can't bring myself to throw it (monitor is mint, box is mint).

After my recent success with my G4PB drive upgrade, I am more confident opening up the display if required, if it was just something loose.

View attachment 2009457
Anyone got any views (no pun intended) on the horizontal line.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Calling Cinema Display experts!
So, I thought logos falling off was only a Clamshell thing. But the graphite logo has come off my 22" Cinema Display.
I completely cleaned and removed the previous dried glue, and applied new gorilla glue, assuming it would be best for a good stick.
But as it was drying in, I realised that the glue spots were visible- the inevitable result of translucent plastic! I quickly removed the logo and am now stuck (pun intended).
Can anyone recommend a powerful glue that is also invisible?

3F8315AF-BD66-4F5F-9625-4B73A07DF069.jpeg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So, I thought logos falling off was only a Clamshell thing. But the graphite logo has come off my 22" Cinema Display.
I completely cleaned and removed the previous dried glue, and applied new gorilla glue, assuming it would be best for a good stick.
But as it was drying in, I realised that the glue spots were visible- the inevitable result of translucent plastic! I quickly removed the logo and am now stuck (pun intended).

View attachment 2136886
Super glue? It's transparent…

View attachment 2136886

Was that the Gorilla glue clear epoxy variety?

Alternately, whatever you end up using might need to be perfectly uniform in its application and adhesion, given the translucency constraints.

Reactions: mectojic

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I've got a 22" ADC with a good foot, but pressure marks on the screen. I need to find a new LCD for it...

Here's an older shot of the monitor, with my now-dead Cube. I still have both, but both are still crippled. The Cube will eventually turn into a recasing project for a Mini; either a G4 or M1 (or later). Haven't decided yet. I'll eventually replace the LCD when I get around to looking for one; most likely from an acrylic that has a missing/broken foot.

IMG_0017.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.