Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
yellow said:
FWIW:
I take that to mean that (assuming it's real), it divides and recreates itself in very, very, very, hot temps. Meaning it's still "alive", where many (most?) other forms of life, as we know it, would be dead.

I was talking about the actual journal article not CNN's article.

The journal article contains absolutely no discussion or experiments on surviving at high temperatures or reproducing at any temperature.

The only discussion of survival is
The particles are very stable against decay with time. Even after storage in the original rainwater at room
temperature without any preservative for about 4 years, no decay or discolouration of the particles could be found.

He includes no valid biological investigation in the article and consult no biologists in the limited analysis that he did perform.

I'm just saying that this is highly suspect - and should not represent anything more than a lay person's opinion on the particles.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
sushi said:
Is that considered hot sex? ;)

On a serious note, completely agree. This definitely limits ways to destroy it, if the need arises.

I guess it is. :D

Especially if it is true that it doesn't have any DNA, how would you attack it at all?

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Diatribe said:
Didn't he specifically say he didn't know yet? And what is not scientific about testing for DNA? Not quite sure I get your point.

They used a really rudimentary ethidium bromide staining on lysed cells to look for DNA. They didn't attempt DAPI staining. They didn't attempt a DNA extraction. They didn't analyze the proteins. They didn't compare to mammalian red blood cells. They didn't let any biologists look at the samples.

They just speculate, and run some elementary tests.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
All I know is that they won't survive on a system running OS X - esp. since the MBP's exceed 600ºC. ;)

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I think a Vietnamese "scientist" made a similar claim about an orange molecule in the water back in the 70's :rolleyes: Turned out it wasn't an invasion from outer space after all.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
AmbitiousLemon said:
They used a really rudimentary ethidium bromide staining on lysed cells to look for DNA. They didn't attempt DAPI staining. They didn't attempt a DNA extraction. They didn't analyze the proteins. They didn't compare to mammalian red blood cells. They didn't let any biologists look at the samples.

They just speculate, and run some elementary tests.

I guess we will see in a few weeks when other people look at it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
AmbitiousLemon said:
its from 2001. its doubtful they will let anyone else look at it if they haven't so far.

I guess we posted at the same time... but from the article:

Last winter, Louis sent some of his samples to astronomer Chandra Wickramasinghe and his colleagues at Cardiff University in Wales, who are now attempting to replicate his experiments; Wickramasinghe expects to publish his initial findings later this year.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
joepunk said:
I sort of hope that this pans out to be true just so I can say that I was alive when we first made contact.
But wouldn't First Contact implay two-way communications? Unless these things are like Ken MacLeod's "gods" (Engines of Light Trilogy)... Hmm.

I hope this pans out to be true just to shut the heck up the creationist movement.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
Hmmm. Call me crazy but these maybe a virus, a virus tht the PC guy had on the mac commercial! HUHH!! OMG! Every PC owner will catch this deadly virus and all mac users will be the only living people on Earth. We will have to reproduce and repopulate the planet:eek:

I have to agree w/ Lemon here. There is no mention of biological "findings" about this item. The article also says,
dozens of his experiments suggest that the particles may lack DNA yet still reproduce plentifully, even in water superheated to nearly 600 degrees Fahrenheit . (The known upper limit for life in water is about 250 degrees Fahrenheit .)

That means that he has NOT yet tested for DNA, all he has done is behavioral experiments, and hypothesized based on NOT doing biological analysis. If he doesn't find out the biological makeup of the item he can still claim it may be alive and alien. The fact that he's had this stuff so long and not had a biologist endorse his position is very fishy indeed.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I think if it gets a full work over by real biologist and they come to the same conclusion, things will get interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Anyone see the movie Evolution? Didn't that start with just a single cell organism?

D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Well, it would be interesting if they were of alien origin, but the fact that they came from "water taken from the mysterious blood-colored showers that fell sporadically across Louis's home state of Kerala in the summer of 2001" strongly suggests to me a terrestrial origin - I mean, if there were enough of these to color entire storms of rain, meaning they could reproduce at a rapid scale, then why aren't they taking over the planet now? I suggest it's because it's some algae bloom or whatnot, as proposed my others above.

But, yeah, it would be cool if it's what they suggest it might be.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
AmbitiousLemon said:
This is a physcist trying to be a biologist and failing. I can't believe this got published.

Ooh ... scientist envy. In my life this only happens when the veterinarians start insulting human doctors. :D

*grabs a bag of popcorn*

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
thedude110 said:
Ooh ... scientist envy. In my life this only happens when the veterinarians start insulting human doctors. :D

*grabs a bag of popcorn*

LoL. I was thinking the same thing as I read this thread.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
thedude110 said:

*grabs a bag of popcorn*

This has nothing to do with envy. These people have made fools of themselves and quite probably destroyed their careers.

Having a PhD doesn't make you an expert in all sciences. In fact, you are just an expert in one small portion of whatever science you practice in. Physicists don't know anything about biology. They don't even need to take any biology classes after high school. They don't read the journals. They don't go to the meetings. They are just as much experts in biology as any average joe.

Any biologist reading this paper would immediatly laugh. There is absolutely no experimental or even anecdotal evidence to suggest this is alien. In fact these cells look very terrestrial.

They conducted one extremely rudimentary experiment that failed and they went on to make extremely outlandish claims.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
this is the paper
http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0601022
I think as of now AmbitiousLemon has a point, as there is no reason to think that this is not terrestrial in origin.
It would still be a highly interesting discovery, and might even identify some completely new organisms, but AL is right in saying that the claims, so far, are completely unsupported by scientific evidence.
It would be cool if they are right, though.

there is already a wiki article on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_rain_in_Kerala#_note-9

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.