Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, short of it all just somehow working out like nothing happened (which would have been kind of odd after everything, even if some might have been hoping for it), or some sort of really unexpected twist that would put pretty much everything on its head, the way it seems to have worked out in the end is about as well as it could have gone.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The train scene got me as well.

I was a bit disappointed how it went with Stan, but I understand why he did what he did. And I would've appreciated a little more closure with regards to Renee and Claudia, but oh well. This ending for the Jennings was pretty much best-case scenario for them.

Overall, it was a good ending to a great show.
[doublepost=1527789052][/doublepost]
Very quiet.

I cared more about Oleg. I missed a couple of seasons, so was he a priest for real or was that a KGB cover? (And when his shift in professions happen?)
Oleg wasn't the priest. That was Father Andrei. I believe Oleg was back in DC as a student, pretending to study transportation or something.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
The train scene got me as well.

I was a bit disappointed how it went with Stan, but I understand why he did what he did. And I would've appreciated a little more closure with regards to Renee and Claudia, but oh well. This ending for the Jennings was pretty much best-case scenario for them.

Overall, it was a good ending to a great show.
[doublepost=1527789052][/doublepost]
Oleg wasn't the priest. That was Father Andrei. I believe Oleg was back in DC as a student, pretending to study transportation or something.

Oh. Thanks

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Finale Spoiler
Sigh, I give the series a thumbs up, but the Final, it’s not what I expected or wanted. I had imagined action! Something like a car chase! A firey crash! Not this half time emotional farewell. Something that lived up to all the violence and innocent lives they took, perpetrated in the name of country.

At least Stan lived, but I can’t believe he let them go. I assume he was swayed by the message that needed to get back to Gorbachov. Anyway, they lost their kids, and we are left wondering about Renee. :p I know this is TV, but after their lives in the West, I can imagine them being thoughorly depressed about living the “good life” :rolleyes: in Mother Russia minus their children.

Very quiet.

I cared more about Oleg. I missed a couple of seasons, so was he a priest for real or was that a KGB cover? (And when his shift in professions happen?)
Oleg was the KGB, but in the finale season he was there acting on behalf of Russian authority outside the KGB. The Priest was a priest who provided assistance to agents in the vicinity, but was not involved directly in espionage.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Finale Spoiler
Sigh, I give the series a thumbs up, but the Final, it’s not what I wanted. At least Stan lived, but I can’t believe he let them go. I assume he was swayed by the message that needed to get back to Gorbachov. Anyway, they lost their kids, and we are left wondering about Renee. :p I know this is TV, but after their lives in the West, I can imagine them being thoughorly depressed about living the good life in Mother Russia minus their children.

Oleg was the KGB, but in the finale season he was there acting on behalf of forces outside the KGB. The Priest was a priest who provided assistance to agents in the vicinity, but was not involved directly in espionage.

Thank you. When the Centre said Oleg was arrested, I thought he went undercover as a priest, but my gaps in viewing obviously are showing.

This series has been so consistently well written and performed, I was very unwhelmed by last night's finale, but I respect the decisions the creative and writing teams made to let them go. Stan was stuck in a loop of both being undercover (prior to season one) and then trying to find Russian undercover agents, while winding up blindsided by his next door neighbors (and possibly his current girlfriend). His arc kind of hit me, after he let them go, so I think I understand it from his perspective.

As far as the kids, not surprised what happened especially with Paige because they set up as trying to find herself for several seasons and she would not leave her brother behind. That was a good arc for her too. She was finally strong enough to live for herself, and be there for Henry. If he would even talk to her again.

As for Elizabeth and Philip, meh. I suppose that's a reset for them too. I know he did not want to go back, but had no choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thank you. When the Centre said Oleg was arrested, I thought he went undercover as a priest, but my gaps in viewing obviously are showing.

This series has been so consistently well written and performed, I was very unwhelmed by last night's finale, but I respect the decisions the creative and writing teams made to let them go. Stan was stuck in a loop of both being undercover (prior to season one) and then trying to find Russian undercover agents, while winding up blindsided by his next door neighbors (and possibly his current girlfriend). His arc kind of hit me, after he let them go, so I think I understand it from his perspective.

As far as the kids, not surprised what happened especially with Paige because they set up as trying to find herself for several seasons and she would not leave her brother behind. That was a good arc for her too. She was finally strong enough to live for herself, and be there for Henry. If he would even talk to her again.

As for Elizabeth and Philip, meh. I suppose that's a reset for them too. I know he did not want to go back, but had no choice.
I updated my critique a bit.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
I updated my critique a bit.
I agree with you about Phillip and Elizabeth - they should have paid for their actions. As much as I was fascinated by Phillip, his discussion with Stan failed for me. Overall though, I understand why they did a quiet fade out - it was exactly what many were not expecting. It shows you what people in that kind of life can get away with. They probably did this as much for Stan’s arc as their own.
That ending is also a reveal of how lines blurred as far as trusting government intelligence agencies and their agents.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.