Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Raise a toast, Arn!

Somewhere around here I still have my MacRumors coffee mug, with "Mac Tablet" listed as one of the then-floating rumors! It's about time.

For all those people who say they don't see the point of a tablet, they haven't tried it. I got an old Fujitsu Stylistic and tried it as a laptop - plug in a keyboard when at a desk, carry it around and use WiFi with a stylus when not at a desk. It works very well. With a faster CPU, more RAM, and bluetooth for the keyboard and mouse, it'd be perfect - and far superior to any regular laptop, with it's trackpad (ugh) and crappy attached keyboard.

Just hoping I can afford it...

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
For all those people who say they don't see the point of a tablet, they haven't tried it. I got an old Fujitsu Stylistic and tried it as a laptop - plug in a keyboard when at a desk, carry it around and use WiFi with a stylus when not at a desk. It works very well.

I bet it does, but for those of us who want our laptops to be truly portable - I'm always carrying mine around, from my office to labs to conference rooms to home and back - it would be necessary to carry a keyboard and a tablet. So I still don't see the point. And unless it runs both OS X and Windows it's useless to me.

woolfgang

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2004
I bet it does, but for those of us who want our laptops to be truly portable - I'm always carrying mine around, from my office to labs to conference rooms to home and back - it would be necessary to carry a keyboard and a tablet. So I still don't see the point. And unless it runs both OS X and Windows it's useless to me.

Yes. With all this buzz, I as a media professional, and someone who grew up on Apple "Professional" hardware and software, am not as excited. In fact, just the fact, that it will not run OSX, is for me, another step toward Apple officially becoming a "Consumer" company. It is what it is, but, with Macbook Pros losing features, and Pro apps lagging behind in development, it's a little frustrating. It'll be nice, and it'll make more money than Final Cut Studio, but eventually, a lot of Media people will end up having to use different products. Bummer, but that's life.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
In fact, just the fact, that it will not run OSX, is for me, another step toward Apple officially becoming a "Consumer" company.

Can we stop all the "doesn't run OS X" nonsense already? iPhone OS is OS X, just a mobile variation of it. Just like Android is a mobile variation of Linux. Does anyone really want the desktop version of OS X on a touch-driven tablet device? Do you really want to try to run Photoshop CS4 on a 10" screen with your finger? Hasn't Microsoft shown us the folly of that approach with their Windows tablet devices over the years?

We're at the birth stage of real mobile computing. Give it time to mature.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
You're misunderstanding the point I'm making. Sure there were other players around, but as soon as the iPod came out and was coupled with iTunes, regardless as to how many MP3 players people had previously owned, it blew everything else out of the water. Same with the iPhone and the App Store - only as I mentioned, similarly-physical competition has since emerged but, as we all know, they are still trying to catch up, probably inanely...

So my iPod reference was to back up the point was that in terms of hardware, the tablet will resemble the iPod Touch too closely to be regarded unique. That's why Stevie-Boy is so excited by the revolutionary content he has secured...

At the time it was not a sure bet that the iPod would "blow everything else out of the water." In these very forums people bitched about how similar the iPod was to everything else, and how little new it offered. You are operating with 20/20 hindsight, and then not applying the lessons learned then to the present situation.

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
I'm probably one of the biggest fanboys there is, I must say however I am pretty disappointed. I mean the thing doesn't have to fly or anything but what happened to video conferencing at the very least? Graphic arts applications are a no go, let alone being able to use the tablet as a tablet occasionally with a stylus for drawing. I mean for real, this is not what I waited for and I don't think these types of things are asking too much. I get the feeling that once again, things like video conferencing were left out because of cheesy provider service and then the price for using it would have been ridiculous. So, what do we have? A large ipod touch. I'm upset man . . really upset. What on earth is going on over there at Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.