Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashlodad

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
I noticed the same rattle. I took my case off and the rattle is still here from the iPhone button. Never notice before. I thought its the button too.

right, what about the gap on top and bottom of the case, one more thing can you try to move your phone up and down to see if it is moving

polzii

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Thanks scelzifan and gcarlucci for the pics, cheers. The silver looks great but the front piece doesnt come in silver, right ? Just black, white and clear ? The black front piece looks best.

Last edited:

Chelveston

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2011
Just received my diamondback (red version). Quite disappointed unfortunately as I have the same diamond-button rattle and tiny gaps at the front between the case and glass of the ip4.

The worst of it is the build quality. This is just terrible for such an expensive case. The hybrid was many times better. The finish (?anodizing) was simply shoddy around the cut out for the camera. There were at least 3 defects for the triangular cut out (one per side).

Anyone else having this or is mine simply a lemon?

Attachments

• IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 93

Chelveston

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2011
Any of you guys find that the phone heats up quite a bit? It feels a lot warmer than the hybrid composite especially after using safari or youtube.

Wonder if its cause the ventilation has been significantly reduced by covering the backsurface of the phone?

Darren

King Julian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Just received my diamondback (red version). Quite disappointed unfortunately as I have the same diamond-button rattle and tiny gaps at the front between the case and glass of the ip4.

The worst of it is the build quality. This is just terrible for such an expensive case. The hybrid was many times better. The finish (?anodizing) was simply shoddy around the cut out for the camera. There were at least 3 defects for the triangular cut out (one per side).

Anyone else having this or is mine simply a lemon?

I can only assume you will be sending it back, the finish does look rather poor, for such an expensive case.

Chelveston

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2011
Yeah, Atomic replied that the first anodizing did such a crap job that they apparently had to find someone else to do it.

As a result, I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there who took the leap of faith and purchased an expensive case only to be rewarded with a rubbish end-product.

I'm actually quite shocked that they allowed this product to be delivered out with such inferior quality and finish. As a consumer, I think that by doing so, it only serves to tarnish what was a pretty good reputation in the industry.

To top all this off, that rattling power button issue still has not been solved. :(

Only saving grace is that they will be sending me a new case which hopefully does not have this defect. They were real quick in responding to my email which definetly recovered them some brownie points.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I'm actually quite shocked that they allowed this product to be delivered out with such inferior quality and finish.

I'm not.

There is a a series of posts in the hybrid case thread of people who received cases that were milled incorrectly leading to fit issues. Stunningly to me, they openly admitted that they knew about it and shipped them anyway. Seems to be the same deal here. I was appalled about that with an $80 case, with a $200 case it is... I don't know, whatever...

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
For those of you interested in the all composite (no aluminum) Diamondback, here are a few quick shots of mine that came in earlier today, next to my aluminum back. Please keep in mind that this is just a quick, rough-cut piece for testing purposes, so there is a lot of milling marks visible, which won't show up on the final shipping pieces. Those mill marks aside, hopefully from these images you can see that when the all composite back is finished, it should look almost identical to the aluminum back, at least in black anyway.

That being said, I actually like the composite back a lot more than my aluminum back. With the composite, you're guaranteed that it'll work identically to a bare iPhone, and won't have to worry if you're going into an area where the aluminum may interfere with the phone's reception. As a lot of you know, an aluminum case's performance can vary wildly by location. With this composite back, you won't have to worry about that. And they do plan to offer these composite backs in a chrome and a brushed metal finish (very thin layer of metal bonded to the exterior surface), in addition to black and white. So you will still be able to have the look of metal if you so desire. Another plus is that the all composite option will be MUCH cheaper (haven't been told final price yet), with the option to add the all aluminum backplate if you wish. I'll have a final review in a few days where I include detailed comments on both backplates.

(click image to enlarge)

dsc0254h.jpg

dsc0255vw.jpg

(all aluminum back on left, full composite on right)

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
Quick first impressions - I received the composite with aluminum back today. No impact on signal at all, as expected - had full bars before I started, continued to have full bars after it was on.

Biggest piece of feedback to give right now, at a quick glance, is that the case is hefty! It definitely gives the phone a more substantial feel then the naked or hybrid covered phone does - I'm going to do a full video/write up review soon, but I'd like to use the case for a couple of days, see what I think...I tend to drop my phone on average of once a week, so we'll have a drop test result before long too :)

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Here are pictures of one of the new chrome plated composite (not aluminum) backplates. In the picture below, you'll see from left to right my black aluminum backplate, the chrome plated composite back, and a testing sample of the composite back (unplated). Of all 3 of these, I actually like the looks and feel of the plated composite back over the aluminum. It gives the look and feel of metal, but the lightness of a fully composite case (which it is). This chrome piece shown is not entirely indicative of what the final finish will be. The final version will be high polished chrome, and also offered in a brushed metal look. This piece shown below was just a test for the adhering of the finish, and not polished prior to plating (that's why you can still see milling marks in it).

dsc0256cc.jpg

dsc0258kh.jpg

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
OK so I'm holding off on the full review until I receive the sportback/composite back in a couple of weeks, but here's my user experience with the aluminum back diamondback.

First and foremost, this thing is a formidible case. It's heavy in the hand and gives the phone a very solid feel, more reminiscent of the phones of old - you don't have that "holy crap this thing is delicate" feeling that you get when using a naked iphone 4...and it's sturdiness has been proven in my own accidental drop test:
When getting up from my desk, my chair arm caught in the charging cable for my iphone. This caused the phone to be flung quite hard against the air conditioner in my office. Thankfully it hit back first - phone survived without a scratch, as did the case. In terms of protection, therefor, I would give this thing 5 stars - it doesn't protect the front ala otterbox, but what it does cover is VERY well covered. The aluminum used is clearly pretty hardcore!

On to the other stuff: early on I noticed a definite drop in signal strength: about 1 bar from both wifi and 3G service. I consider that to be an annoyance more than anything else, keeping in mind that this IS a full aluminum back: a bit of drop is to be expected. I wasn't seeing an increase in dropped calls or any real data issues. However, where the phone really struggled was in GPS: I rely heavily on my phone's GPS to be accurate at all times...and unfortunately with the DB on, it very clearly had a hard time locking onto me. While it would always eventually pinpoint within a block or two, I would often drive for as much as a mile or two without the famous blue dot moving at all - meaning that while I essentially knew where I was, the GPS was not going to be much help in knowing when my turn was coming up. The effect was bad enough that I stopped at a CVS and bought an eyeglass screwdriver to take the case off (at which point GPS was fine, and I also confirmed ZERO damage to the back, despite having taken as hard a hit as I've ever seen).

The side wobble reported by some others is present, but also to be expected as it is the bit where the composite piece is cut to give access to the volume buttons and the like - nothing unexpected or objectionable from what I could tell.

Overall, I love the case. It looks great, feels great in the hand, and is clearly better protected then using any of the frame or bumper styled cases. It adds a fairly substantial amount of heft to the phone - I find this to be desirable actually - and definitely does have some impact on signal/gps. I informed Atomic about this and received the following response:

"ITs an all aluminum backplate.. We have tested in in various parts of the country and couple of countries in south east Asia without issues.. In Chicago, West Palm, and Kansas and GA there are some issues with GPS and signal dropping 1 to 2 bars sometimes.

However, what we decided to do is (in production now) create an identical backplate in composite and include that with every DB sold called the "sport cover" for those who rely daily on gps, signal, etc..

We (when this sport cover is completed in 10 to 15 days) are reintroducing the DB in plated chrome or plated satin* (Composite) which will additionally come with a black sport cover (also composite) , all for 100.00

For 100.00 more the aluminum junkies can buy the metal backplate.

We thought this through and we really do not want our product to circulate like the (redacted competing case name) killing signal but looking good."

* composite is being electroplated in chrome and satin chrome (you can not tell its not metal) and finish is superb"

Overall, I love the case - it has a really cool look and a great feel. Be aware that, as with ANY aluminum case, you will see some impact on your signal with the aluminum back. I'll definitely report more once I receive the composite/sportback. The response above does also show, once again, that Atomic is also committed to its customers and putting out the best possible product. While I've gone back to my hybrid for the moment, the diamondback will certainly stay in my drawer and be pulled back out when the alternate material backing is available!

mamateresas

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
huntington
I got my diamondback ultra after 3 weeks of wait. Package came in monday and within hours after putting it on my case I dropped it on my driveway causing a small crack on the black rim from when I was getting out of my car. Maybe 3' tops. I expected a scuff but not a crack. Upset as I was for 117.00 including shipping i emailed Lance in customer sales to see what he can do and they sent me another black rim plus an extra clear rim. Black chrome looks stellar but the clear and chrome back looks even better. You can see the screws and parts through it. I took some pictures but none of them came out good as the flash and chrome cover was not in harmony. Lots of dust not visible to the naked eye pops out. These are the best pictures of about 40 shots with my noise canceling bose headphones but the pictures do not do justice this is the sharpest case I've seen.

6317165243_babfb2ea43_b.jpg

6317165383_cfd8e7e0b6_b.jpg

6317165313_0e47f3dd38_b.jpg

6317685592_999b683a4b_b.jpg

6317165165_356edd62b5_b.jpg

6317165113_03d3f347fe_b.jpg

6317685462_41b5ed7240_b.jpg

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2009
Here are pictures of one of the new chrome plated composite (not aluminum) backplates. In the picture below, you'll see from left to right my black aluminum backplate, the chrome plated composite back, and a testing sample of the composite back (unplated). Of all 3 of these, I actually like the looks and feel of the plated composite back over the aluminum. It gives the look and feel of metal, but the lightness of a fully composite case (which it is). This chrome piece shown is not entirely indicative of what the final finish will be. The final version will be high polished chrome, and also offered in a brushed metal look. This piece shown below was just a test for the adhering of the finish, and not polished prior to plating (that's why you can still see milling marks in it).

wow i really like the look of the middle case...

where can we buy this? i dont see it on here http://store.atomiciphonecase.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AT-DBU-763-WCR
do you have a picture of it on ur actual phone?

Wow i reallty

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I have this case in black and absolutely hate it. I hate the shape and feel so I went back to a simple clear spec case. Much better performance and look in my opinion. For Sure not worth 125 bucks with shipping!!

XMRadioMike

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
I got my diamondback ultra after 3 weeks of wait. Package came in monday and within hours after putting it on my case I dropped it on my driveway causing a small crack on the black rim from when I was getting out of my car. Maybe 3' tops. I expected a scuff but not a crack. Upset as I was for 117.00 including shipping i emailed Lance in customer sales to see what he can do and they sent me another black rim plus an extra clear rim. Black chrome looks stellar but the clear and chrome back looks even better. You can see the screws and parts through it. I took some pictures but none of them came out good as the flash and chrome cover was not in harmony. Lots of dust not visible to the naked eye pops out. These are the best pictures of about 40 shots with my noise canceling bose headphones but the pictures do not do justice this is the sharpest case I've seen.

impressive setup. Case looks great. Off topic but I had a question about the noise canceling headset. How is that powered? by the source or separate battery? recharge?

Mike

ironmacman

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
Atomic DiamondBack

Will this cover help me. I keep my phone in my back left pocket of my jeans.
I have wrecked all phones except the military phone.
I want Iphone, but it has to have "rugged protection", I will open it up when I want to use screen.
Any help here?

Boston Rhett

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2012
DC
Will this cover help me. I keep my phone in my back left pocket of my jeans.
I have wrecked all phones except the military phone.
I want Iphone, but it has to have "rugged protection", I will open it up when I want to use screen.
Any help here?

I'd say a LifeProof or Otterbox would probably offer more "rugged protection." The Diamondback case doesn't seem like it has much in terms of shock absorption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.