Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That’s a great take on their problems, and I’d actually lump that all into marketing: pricing, selling, positioning the product from TV to the dealer networks.

The national outlook on cars isn't great for Cadillac either, honestly. No one wants heavy, FWD snore machines anymore. Make it big, make it fast, make it RWD. Buick, too. Their AWD systems are just so far behind their foreign competitors and all front biased.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
The national outlook on cars isn't great for Cadillac either, honestly. No one wants heavy, FWD snore machines anymore. Make it big, make it fast, make it RWD. Buick, too. Their AWD systems are just so far behind their foreign competitors and all front biased.

With the exception of the XTS ( which I hate) and SRX( which the SRX is selling well), the ATS, CTS, and the Escalade are RWD. In NY, they will unveil their RWD LTS to go against the S Class. With the ATS and CTS, the AWD system is rear biased( not sure on Escalade).

Buick is doing well even in the US. And they are positioned perfectly. FWD premium/second tier luxury vehicles that go against Lincoln, Acura, Volvo, etc. This keeps Buick from stepping on Cadillac's toes which was an issue with Old GM having brands stepping on each others toes, with the only exception being GMC. For some reason GMC works and prints money for GM despite being rebadged Chevy's.

Last edited:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
C7 Z06 priced at $79K and fully loaded is under $100K.

Bargain and I want. 650 HP and 650 lb.-ft. of torque. :D

Too bad I will never get close to getting that kind of money any time soon. :(

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
C7 Z06 priced at $79K and fully loaded is under $100K.

Bargain and I want. 650 HP and 650 lb.-ft. of torque. :D

Too bad I will never get close to getting that kind of money any time soon. :(

You can slip over $100K with a 3LZ, Z07 + CFZ and Comp Seats :D

Still, I agree 101% though, you could buy a nice “cruiser” with just 2LZ for mid-80s (and even slip the convertible in under $90K without any of the comp packages).

Interesting and amazing things (in escalating order of WTF-ness :D ):

Removable roof with the same rigidity as previous fixed roof models!
8-speed auto option!!
Convertible!!!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
What kind of car enthusiast says that? :p

I do have a track near by though.....

For me it's all fun and games until you are about to sign the loan papers. That's when I always backtrack.

It stinks, but it is what it is. I went to McDavid Acura wanting a TL, backed myself down to a 2.4L TSX. Not saying I regret it, but I did back down.

Last edited:

iBook_Clamshell

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
Wisconsin
A 1985 Volvo 240-currently my dad's. I'll be driving it soon.
5390za.jpg

Also a Nissan 240ZX.
2vc9gt3.png

Sorry, I couldn't get bigger picture.:(
As you can see, I don't like new cars.;):p:rolleyes:

Reactions: crjackson2134

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
For me it's all fun and games until you are about to sign the loan papers. That's when I always backtrack.

It stinks, but it is what it is. I went to McDavid Acura wanting a TL, backed myself down to a 2.4L TSX. Not saying I regret it, but I did back down.

Same here. I'm on my 6th Acura and went from a TL to TSX. Fun car but I liked the TL (2 of the 3 I had) much better.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Same here. I'm on my 6th Acura and went from a TL to TSX. Fun car but I liked the TL (2 of the 3 I had) much better.

Too bad Acura doesn't make a RWD twin turbo fun machine. It won't happen anytime soon, but there is a huge lack of fun over at Honda.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I think I read somewhere that Honda was going to finally turbocharge the Civic Type-R. Based on Honda's track record for enthusiasts for the past few years, I wouldn't hold my breath on it getting to the USA though.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Yep, that's the one. But I doubt that petition will yield any good results. It's a shame, that's a sharp looking car.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yep, that's the one. But I doubt that petition will yield any good results. It's a shame, that's a sharp looking car.

Yeah, pretty neat, it would at least bring a little *zing* into Honda’s lineup. I’d assume it would be easily tuned too (with factory FI).

I can only imagine what a turbo VTEC sounds like in person

bzzzzzzwhoooooppshhhh ... !

:D

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
My current auto

Best car i've ever owned - 2013 Chevy Volt.

I must be their target demo because I've put 1 tank of gas in it (not including the tank it came with from the dealer) since I purchased it last June. That's over 8000 miles on less than 2 tanks of gas.

Great car. Fun to drive, quiet and smooth. Got it fully loaded and love every minute of driving it.

Attachments

• 2011-chevrolet-volt-628j.jpg
    2011-chevrolet-volt-628j.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 313

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Best car i've ever owned - 2013 Chevy Volt.

I must be their target demo because I've put 1 tank of gas in it (not including the tank it came with from the dealer) since I purchased it last June. That's over 8000 miles on less than 2 tanks of gas.

Great car. Fun to drive, quiet and smooth. Got it fully loaded and love every minute of driving it.

I've been wanting to ask a Volt owner, for quite some time now, what is your electric bill like before having the car and after getting it?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I've been wanting to ask a Volt owner, for quite some time now, what is your electric bill like before having the car and after getting it?

There may not be one near you, but I highly recommend visiting a Tesla storefront in a mall. They're great and they help you estimate the price of electric. Obviously not the same, but the savings are legit either way.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
One of Cadillac's problems is the target demographic wants a substantial V8 in the car, not a 4 banger turbo like every other turd on the road these days - it's about all you can buy anymore. Spare me the arguments about power output and gas mileage of today's 4s, they still will never replace the sound or pure feel of a V8 sailing effortlessly down the freeway. A lot of Cadillac's demographic still wants that, and they don't have it.

Reactions: Gravydog316

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The Car Thread ... !

One of Cadillac's problems is the target demographic wants a substantial V8 in the car, not a 4 banger turbo like every other turd on the road these days - it's about all you can buy anymore. Spare me the arguments about power output and gas mileage of today's 4s, they still will never replace the sound or pure feel of a V8 sailing effortlessly down the freeway. A lot of Cadillac's demographic still wants that, and they don't have it.

That's simply not true. The ATS is a 3 series fighter. No 3 series has a V8. Cadillac's target audience often chooses a 2.0T Audi or a BMW 328i instead, both 4 bangers. The days of the Cadillac V8 land barges are long gone. Good riddance.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
That's simply not true. The ATS is a 3 series fighter. No 3 series has a V8. Cadillac's target audience often chooses a 2.0T Audi or a BMW 328i instead, both 4 bangers. The days of the Cadillac V8 land barges are long gone. Good riddance.

And Cadillac shouldn't worry because that demographic is dying off, literally.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
And Cadillac shouldn't worry because that demographic is dying off, literally.

Agreed. In 2008 Audi put a 2.0T in its A4 and reviewers didn't like the lack of V6 compared to its competitors. The BMW 3, Lexus IS had V6s. Yet the smarter reviewers realized that the turbo charger would be the end of the bigger engines.

I contend the twin turbo V6 is as good of a driver's engine than nearly any V8. The car around the engine has a lot more to do with the drivability of the car than just the number of cylinders it has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.