Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
My advice: Stop driving the car. Everything you're describing( and talk of removing the cat) makes me think that the vehicle is unsafe and barely street legal to be on the road. It's time to get rid of it, no matter how rare it is. It's value will never go up because no one is wanting to buy a Daewoo. They were never good cars.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
My advice: Stop driving the car. Everything you're describing( and talk of removing the cat) makes me think that the vehicle is unsafe and barely street legal to be on the road. It's time to get rid of it, no matter how rare it is. It's value will never go up because no one is wanting to buy a Daewoo. They were never good cars.

Daewoo has been around since the 1970s even in 2015 they are still produced.... just under different monikers. The car is completely street legal atleast in the sense of regulations. a bad sensor or a bad brake caliper doesn't render a car non-street legal. I drove the thing for 3 weeks with no brakes...... when the lines blew i just put the pedal to the floor (it still stopped) and used the emergency brake. Though i didnt take it on any major roads in that condition (driving was mostly testing the brakes before i realized the lines blew and then driving it to the shop to get it fixed

Last edited:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Daewoo has been around since the 1970s even in 2015 they are still produced.... just under different monikers. The car is completely street legal atleast in the sense of regulations. a bad sensor or a bad brake caliper doesn't render a car non-street legal. I drove the thing for 3 weeks with no brakes...... when the lines blew i just put the pedal to the floor (it still stopped) and used the emergency brake. Though i didnt take it on any major roads in that condition (driving was mostly testing the brakes before i realized the lines blew and then driving it to the shop to get it fixed

Daewoo no longer exists. It's simply GM Korea now.

And please please stop driving period. Drove the car for 3 weeks with no brakes? You sir are a hazard to other people on the road if you drove around with no brakes for that long.

I know how much of a hazard that is when our families 2002 Suburban's brake lines rusted out last year. We surely didn't wait 3 weeks to get them fixed( let alone still drive the thing!).

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

All I can say is thank God Minnesota is far away from me. Daewoo is terrible and you a committing a crime by driving a car that isn't fit for the road.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Daewoo no longer exists. It's simply GM Korea now.

And please please stop driving period. Drove the car for 3 weeks with no brakes? You sir are a hazard to other people on the road if you drove around with no brakes for that long.

I know how much of a hazard that is when our families 2002 Suburban's brake lines rusted out last year. We surely didn't wait 3 weeks to get them fixed( let alone still drive the thing!).

I only drove it 3 times 2 of the times was before i realized the brakes blew out (still stopped but kept having to add fluid) when i realized the lines were the culprit when i pumped up the brakes to build the pressure in the system and the line blew, all fluid was gone and the brake went tot the floor, 2 more lines blew at the shop when they replaced to 2 bad lines and were pressurizing the system....

the 3rd time it was driven, it was to drive it to the shop.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
the 3rd time it was driven, it was to drive it to the shop.

There's a time and a place for a tow truck, and I'd think that blown brakes would cross that line for me.

The best tow business here in town charges $65 in town, and my insurance will pay $50 of it. To me it would be a no-brainer to spend $15 out of pocket rather than running the risk of having an accident on the way to the shop(even though the mechanic I use is about a 3 mile drive from the house).

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
There's a time and a place for a tow truck, and I'd think that blown brakes would cross that line for me.

The best tow business here in town charges $65 in town, and my insurance will pay $50 of it. To me it would be a no-brainer to spend $15 out of pocket rather than running the risk of having an accident on the way to the shop(even though the mechanic I use is about a 3 mile drive from the house).

my grandpa didnt want to pay $50 for a tow that was less than a mile away. I didnt go faster than 10MPH and my grandpa followed behind me in another car. I limped it home 5 miles or so when it blew the 'stat a month later.....

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
My girlfriend finally made a move on a new car. It's a one-owner CPO 2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD with 42,000 miles, silver with black leather. It's got pretty much everything you'd want- navigation, cold weather package, xenons, rain sensing wipers, bluetooth, iPod integration, blind spot monitoring, 18" wheels, folding mirrors, etc. It's pretty much loaded except the high tech safety features, adaptive cruise control, and R-design package.

It's a fun little car to drive with the bigger T6 engine and sporty suspension. It's a bit quirky and smaller on the inside than you'd think, but overall I'm impressed with the improvement over the last generation S60. It's not a BMW or Audi, but it's close. The seats are its best asset :) . The CPO comes with the remainder of the 5yr/50k b2b warranty + 1yr/12k b2b additional + 10yr/100k power train warranty. She paid just under $21,500 (about 3,000 under book value as my parents close friends own the Volvo dealership). Pictures to come soon.

I'm a little surprised she went with the Volvo. Her parents have owned Toyota/Lexus products since the 1990's. Why do all the women in my life drive Volvos?

I think for the money this is a very good deal, you can get a lot of car in the 20-25,000 market these days. It seems, at least in New England, that you don't get much for your money these days in the lower price bracket though. A "decent" used car is about $12,000-$15,000. A few years ago I would have said $8-$12k. I'm not sure if it's the demand of cheaper cars, the aversion to the increasing cost of new cars, or the fact cars last a lot longer, but I feel like used cars prices have increased dramatically (even for the same model and year compared then to now!).

Last edited:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

I would just get AAA

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
my grandpa didnt want to pay $50 for a tow that was less than a mile away. I didnt go faster than 10MPH and my grandpa followed behind me in another car. I limped it home 5 miles or so when it blew the 'stat a month later.....

You should have been following your grandpa so if you rear ended someone due to the lack of brakes, it was him and not an innocent person.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Agreed.

Heck, I can change a tire, but if I lose one on my Acura, I'm not changing it myself. Not worth getting hurt or messing up my car.

I've been encouraging my mom to get AAA because she wouldn't be able to do something like change a tire if she had to.

In any case, she popped a tire coming home from vacation last week. As a side note, anyone traveling I-75N would be well advised to remember that there is a very large pothole around the Jellico, TN exit(just a little south of the KY state line) :) .

Fortunately, she was able to pull over in the shoulder of an exit ramp, so we were well out of the "line of fire." The biggest job was unloading luggage out of the trunk. With my dad helping me(i.e. getting the spare out while I was jacking the car up, loading the flat, etc) we were going again in about 10 minutes.

The worst part of it was that she killed one of the new Michelins on my dad's MKZ :)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I didn't renew my AAA membership last year, Progressive offers roadside assistance on my insurance policy for an extra $5 or so every 6 months. The only other AAA perk I ever used was free passport photos, but those are cheap and I only need them once every 10 years.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I didn't renew my AAA membership last year, Progressive offers roadside assistance on my insurance policy for an extra $5 or so every 6 months. The only other AAA perk I ever used was free passport photos, but those are cheap and I only need them once every 10 years.

The savings I get with AAA just from hotels and the few times I rent a truck make up for the price of the membership easily.

Not to mention, towing, roadside services, trip planning, etc

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The savings I get with AAA just from hotels and the few times I rent a truck make up for the price of the membership easily.

Not to mention, towing, roadside services, trip planning, etc

My wife works in rural Texas. The large towing radius option was a no brainer for me.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Anybody drive a BMW 1 series? I was thinking about a used car that's compact and fun to drive with a manual transmission. I'm familiar with the repair costs of older BMW's, but this will be a limited use second car.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Anybody drive a BMW 1 series? I was thinking about a used car that's compact and fun to drive with a manual transmission. I'm familiar with the repair costs of older BMW's, but this will be a limited use second car.

My wife had a 128i manual, it's probably the most fun car I've driven. She leased her, there weren't major problems except for the rear lights going out within a year of each other and a pain to replace since they are LEDs, I think.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

If you're looking for a fun car, I would try to find a used Honda S2000. BMW 1 is fine, but the real BMWs don't start until the 3 series, IMHO. S2K is easily the best driver's car for the price.

Better Gearbox
BMW-like weight distribution
Cheaper

Last edited:

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
If you're looking for a fun car, I would try to find a used Honda S2000. BMW 1 is fine, but the real BMWs don't start until the 3 series, IMHO. S2K is easily the best driver's car for the price.

Better Gearbox
BMW-like weight distribution
Cheaper

I considered the S2000, but it doesn't have that wonderful inline BMW 6 cylinder engine. With the turbo, the 1 series has got to be a rocket.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I considered the S2000, but it doesn't have that wonderful inline BMW 6 cylinder engine. With the turbo, the 1 series has got to be a rocket.

If you can find a clean CPO 135i, DO IT. It is crazy fast.
135is would be even more awesome, but they're pretty rare and people are pricing them too high.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

The 135 is pretty perky. Because of the factory FI, it's easily tuned another 50-100HP. I've driven a stock 135i Coupe and Cab, and a really done up 135 Coupe (~440HP, meth injection, coil overs, suspension really dialed in).

I've always been very tempted by the 135. I love the stubby looks, it saves some weight with the Cab saving a ton of weight over a 335 (cloth vs. metal roof). Plus available with the nice DCT if you only want 2 pedals :) M Sport package is a "must" for an enthusiast, but does give up some ride quality (the Cab I mentioned above was not a M sport package)

The S2K is a totally different experience - manual only (one of the worlds best OEM shifters), peaky, it's like driving a go-kart. The 135 is more polished, and while I wouldn't stick anyone but small kids back there, it does seat 4.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
The 135 is pretty perky. Because of the factory FI, it's easily tuned another 50-100HP. I've driven a stock 135i Coupe and Cab, and a really done up 135 Coupe (~440HP, meth injection, coil overs, suspension really dialed in).

I've always been very tempted by the 135. I love the stubby looks, it saves some weight with the Cab saving a ton of weight over a 335 (cloth vs. metal roof). Plus available with the nice DCT if you only want 2 pedals :) M Sport package is a "must" for an enthusiast, but does give up some ride quality (the Cab I mentioned above was not a M sport package)

The S2K is a totally different experience - manual only (one of the worlds best OEM shifters), peaky, it's like driving a go-kart. The 135 is more polished, and while I wouldn't stick anyone but small kids back there, it does seat 4.

Manual only for a sports/ sporty car. It saddens me when I see all those Mustangs, Camaros and Dodge Challengers with automatics. Sacrilege.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

This is my only issue with the S2k. I love the car, but the power band of the AP1 and AP2 make it a pretty bad DD. You really have to rev it out to enjoy it. Something you don't need to do with modern FI powertrains.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Manual only for a sports/ sporty car. It saddens me when I see all those Mustangs, Camaros and Dodge Challengers with automatics. Sacrilege.

This is coming from someone who has driven manual tranny cars for over 20 years, including a number of models that were only available in a manual:

You _really_ have to try a modern sequential setup, it's pretty spectacular (and it's a not in the same ballpark as a traditional automatic).

This track weapon I think we'd agree is pretty serious about optimum performance:

01-2016-porsche-911-gt3rs-geneva-1.jpg

It's only available with a PDK 7-speed sequential. Again, I realize there's personal preference, but I wouldn't compare a V6 auto Camaro to a 911 GT3 RS PDK :D

----------

This is my only issue with the S2k. I love the car, but the power band of the AP1 and AP2 make it a pretty bad DD. You really have to rev it out to enjoy it. Something you don't need to do with modern FI powertrains.

Yeah, I honestly can't imagine using one as a DD. From my perspective, it really is a weekend and/or limited use type vehicle. It's small, frenetic, loud, a little rough around the edges - in the right environment, it's amazing, but in the wrong usage, it's a +chore+

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This is coming from someone who has driven manual tranny cars for over 20 years, including a number of models that were only available in a manual:

You _really_ have to try a modern sequential setup, it's pretty spectacular (and it's a not in the same ballpark as a traditional automatic).

This track weapon I think we'd agree is pretty serious about optimum performance:

It's only available with a PDK 7-speed sequential. Again, I realize there's personal preference, but I wouldn't compare a V6 auto Camaro to a 911 GT3 RS PDK :D

----------

Yeah, I honestly can't imagine using one as a DD. From my perspective, it really is a weekend and/or limited use type vehicle. It's small, frenetic, loud, a little rough around the edges - in the right environment, it's amazing, but in the wrong usage, it's a +chore+

The sequential transmissions (I assume DCTs) are just so far superior to a manual in terms of real world performance numbers, it's no wonder most of the exotics have gone that way. Sure, the paddle shifters aren't as sexy as a real manual, but they are just so much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.