Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danley

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
OC
I don’t mean to be stalk-er-ish, but your car album is public, great stuff! Looks like you’ve got a Z31 you’re working on as well (though it looks pretty mint as-is)

Lol, ty :D

The Z31 is/was my wife's... It was a great car, up to the point where it stopped passing smog :roll eyes: I'm keeping it around, and once I'm more on track with where I want to be on my S30 (a turbo conversion, or Megasquirt, probably/hopefully both, just added lowering springs and new Tokico struts as my most recent project), I want to drop a turbo VG30 in her car and get it legal again.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Yeah I'm actually interested in the vert model even since I plan on keeping my current car for track days. But haven't seen anything on the new one. Then again, it will probably drive the price down of the current ones, so maybe that will entice me.

Danley

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
OC
My idea of perfect:

The duck-bill 240ZG, on coilovers, preferably with an S20 (yeah right), L28ET or some sort of RB swap.

IzuDrive-065.jpg

That said, I'd be nearly as pleased to get my car looking more along these lines (though I'll weep if I cut through my fenders).

8068943037_e73ea921db_b.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yeah I'm actually interested in the vert model even since I plan on keeping my current car for track days. But haven't seen anything on the new one. Then again, it will probably drive the price down of the current ones, so maybe that will entice me.

Yeah, 2015 was a skip year for the Shelby, I’ve heard 2016 the new car will appear, the same formula (DOHC/32v V8 + supercharger), I’ve heard rumors of a turbo, all sorts of crazy stuff.

Since Carroll Shelby passed away (in 2012), I wonder if the model will just become an SVT or if there’s some ongoing relationship with Shelby cars (the 13/14 were the last cars he had any hand in, even if just being around for their development).

----------

My idea of perfect:

The duck-bill 240ZG, on coilovers, preferably with an S20 (yeah right), L28ET or some sort of RB swap.

That said, I'd be nearly as pleased to get my car looking more along these lines (though I'll weep if I cut through my fenders).

The 240s are spectacular. There was actually a guy with a LS1 conversion down in Orlando at an event, I really appreciated the engineering behind the swap, but felt the car was missing the soul of the original design (same goes for LSx swapped RX7s, without the rotary, it’s not an RX ... even if that is a cantankerous little motor :D )

Danley

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
OC
The 240s are spectacular. There was actually a guy with a LS1 conversion down in Orlando at an event, I really appreciated the engineering behind the swap, but felt the car was missing the soul of the original design (same goes for LSx swapped RX7s, without the rotary, it’s not an RX ... even if that is a cantankerous little motor :D )

Agreed... I'm a Vette fan too, but I prefer that the LSx to stay in the Vette, haha. Presently daily-ing an '01 Coupe until my Z is back on the road.

A few of my Dad's that we re-built over the years... No LSxs ;)

CIMG0335.jpg

In progress, but more finished than the last pic I took shows:

CIMG1893.jpg

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Hopefully! The only Type R we've ever had in the states is the DC2 Integra. Hopefully that'll change with this Civic. I was just thinking, aren't the Civic models in the UK and in the US extremely different?

Quite different. Honda sits a little further upmarket in Europe than it does here. They also face stronger competition from French and German marks than the trash American car companies put out.

Danley

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
OC
Nice. That ’60 is beautiful, did he sell and start the project in the 2nd photo?

Nope. He still has both :) The red one is a 59 (iirc the only diff. between a 60 is the interior pattern?), both have dual quads/283s.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Nope. He still has both :) The red one is a 59 (iirc the only diff. between a 60 is the interior pattern?), both have dual quads/283s.

Nice. He must have a pretty sweet garage/workshop.

Thanks for the correction on the model year. There’s the _tiny_ little same generation changes that I sometimes don’t know how to identify (then you’ve got the hardcore folks who can ID a year by the valve stem :D )

There’s a good Corvette show in my neck of the woods out at the World Golf Village, beautiful place for an event, and always some amazing cars (I participated one year with my Z06, but I really just enjoy going to look) :cool:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Good God she is a beauty.

Is that the DCT 4 cylinder?

Typical Acura, amazing fit and finish. Yes, 4 cylinder with tech package. Very impressed with the haptic feedback touch screen.

Dealer was very cool in giving me a bottle of champagne and 4 oil changes for my loyalty. It's my 7th Acura. And I enjoyed all the salespeople sucking up to me, looking for my business as my sales rep is retiring at the end of the year. :D

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Typical Acura, amazing fit and finish. Yes, 4 cylinder with tech package. Very impressed with the haptic feedback touch screen.

Dealer was very cool in giving me a bottle of champagne and 4 oil changes for my loyalty. It's my 7th Acura. And I enjoyed all the salespeople sucking up to me, looking for my business as my sales rep is retiring at the end of the year. :D

awesome! I tested a 4cylinder some time ago. That transmission is fantastic! Congratulations!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Meant to post this back during the reveal, but this is pretty spectacular:

2016 Mustang GT350

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-photos-and-info-news

Highlights:

5.2 Flat plane V8 rated at “over 500HP”
Big brakes sourced from Brembo, 15.5”/15.0”
Recaro seats
6-speed manual only
Carbon aero components
Unique bodywork (the hood is _beautiful_)

:cool:

That's a bad looking machine there. Have you seen this 1965 Mustang? 845 HP and all-wheel drive.
Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 1.43.50 PM.png

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
The GT350 looks amazing and I do wonder how it will compare to the 5th gen Z/28.

Also the ATS-V was unveiled at LA as well. 455 HP 3.6 liter TT V6, 6 speed manual( surprised the 'Vette's 7 speed didn't make it in) and 8 speed auto, MRC, etc. The looks are a bit over the top in my opinion( mostly, despite being functional, the hood vent), but I can't wait until the comparisons between the M3/M4 and the ATS-V.

2016-cadillac-ats-v-coupe-photo-650031-s-986x603.jpg

2016-cadillac-ats-v-coupe-photo-650034-s-986x603.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-cadillac-ats-v-coupe-and-sedan-photos-and-info-news

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
The GT350 looks amazing and I do wonder how it will compare to the 5th gen Z/28.

Also the ATS-V was unveiled at LA as well. 455 HP 3.6 liter TT V6, 6 speed manual( surprised the 'Vette's 7 speed didn't make it in) and 8 speed auto, MRC, etc. The looks are a bit over the top in my opinion( mostly, despite being functional, the hood vent), but I can't wait until the comparisons between the M3/M4 and the ATS-V.

2016-cadillac-ats-v-coupe-photo-650031-s-986x603.jpg

2016-cadillac-ats-v-coupe-photo-650034-s-986x603.jpg
GT350 looks sick.

ATS-V... no thanks. Looks like a pep-boys special, but with the ATS' poor residuals, a CPO ATS-V might be a steal in a few years.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
ATS-V... no thanks. Looks like a pep-boys special, but with the ATS' poor residuals, a CPO ATS-V might be a steal in a few years.

Yeah that was the word I was looking for when describing its looks, but given the fact the regular ATS has an amazing chassis, I can't wait until to hear how the V drives. I love driving my dads 2014 ATS with the 3.6 V6.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
That's a bad looking machine there. Have you seen this 1965 Mustang? 845 HP and all-wheel drive.
View attachment 515680

YouTube: video

That was ridiculously fun! All the car sites/blogs/publications I read, and I hadn’t seen that before.

GT350 looks sick.

GM’s issue - and yes I am including the C7 Corvettes - are in the finishing touches. Great engineering in terms of chassis and engine, but horrific, [as you put it], "Pep Boys" tack on finishing details on the exterior.

The Z28 is a spectacular track performer, but put some unique fenders on it, NOT tacked-on fender extensions.

Same with the Z06, the core engineering is stellar, the plastic crap tacked on all over it is horrific. Heck, GM has even made outstanding strides on interior designs, but it’s like some 13 year olds are providing the finalized exterior styling.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Same with the Z06, the core engineering is stellar, the plastic crap tacked on all over it is horrific. Heck, GM has even made outstanding strides on interior designs, but it’s like some 13 year olds are providing the finalized exterior styling.

Plastic crap?

Talking about the functional vents and intakes or its extensive use of carbon fiber?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Talking about the functional vents and intakes or its extensive use of carbon fiber?

I’m talking about the plastic crap.

I have a pretty intimate experience with the Corvette: I’ve owned 4, been on the Corvette forums since ’99 , involved with events at the NCM (I even picked up my Z06 as a museum delivery), Vette only HPDEs, written a few articles for a print magazine, talked to GM engineers, and driven and instructed in mine at road tracks all over the southeast.

Myself and other owners/enthusiasts [especially those who have seen the car(s) in person] all recognize that the C7 and C7 Z06 variant have some cheap exterior finishing materials and details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.