Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will the world end in 2012?

• Total voters

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
plinkoman said:
how does 2029 sound?

from what my astronomy professor told us, an asteroid will pass close to us in 2029 (april 13th I think he said), and there's a slight chance it will hit us.

Does that day land on a Friday? :eek:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I don't believe that the world will end but I could certainly believe that the human population would go away by unnatural disasters. Maybe, all the really bad music in the world will cause a massive earthquake. Talk about a bad vibe...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Jaffa Cake said:
I don't think we need worry – although when the England football team get knocked out of the European Championships it will seem like the end of the world... :eek:

Pfft, since when did England worry about the rest of Europe anyway? I think you should withdraw all your clubs from international competition and just have a domestic competition - you could call it The World Series of Football :D ;)

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Peace said:
Man you guys are way behind..The world's already ended.
This is just a dream,
A vaccum machine,
It sucks you into thinking this way.
Or, to quote correctly:
"It's all just a dream, babe,
A vacuum, a scheme, babe,
That sucks you into feeling
Like th-i-i-is."

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
bousozoku said:
I don't believe that the world will end but I could certainly believe that the human population would go away by unnatural disasters. Maybe, all the really bad music in the world will cause a massive earthquake. Talk about a bad vibe...

Yeah, maybe all that bad new music will cause......oh.......lets call it a "Supermassive Black Hole." Peh.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Nothing is going to happen in 2012. However, a few decades after that, when oil more or less runs out, civilization as we know it will end. There just don't seem to be any practical substitutes....

--Eric

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Eric5h5 said:
Nothing is going to happen in 2012. However, a few decades after that, when oil more or less runs out, civilization as we know it will end. There just don't seem to be any practical substitutes....

--Eric

nuclear.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Chundles said:
This planet has been much warmer and much colder than it is now, had much more and much less CO2, more and less oxygen, water, land, ocean, ice, desert...

We might not survive but the Earth will, life will survive...

Exactly. Luckily our ability to make tools (hammers, guns, air-conditioners, and nuclear bombs) give us a chance to survive whatever ice-age, heat-wave, global-storm, scare-tactic is supposedly upon us. And also to destroy ourselves.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
DJMastaWes said:
Nasa better figure out a way to get everyone from earth onto a new planet, and soon.
Already workin' on it:

NICVequipment-hooks.jpg

jaysmith

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
w_parietti22 said:
You mean to say that I only get 1 year of legal drinking??? :eek: :mad:
make it a goal to put in 30 years worth into your one, then when the world ends you won't ave a clue.

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
The end of the world has already been determined. In the future it will be ruled by "damn dirty apes!"

Attachments

• apes.jpg
    apes.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 64

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
DJMastaWes said:
No, not by 2012. But soon, and it's going to be slow and painful. The more and more pollution that is done, its just killing us slowley. Summers here are SO hot (35ºC) and winters are (-40ºC) it's just insane, this is not how it was a few years ago. If people keep up this lifestyle, earth is going to root.

Nope. Earth is going to survives us by a few billion years. ;)

Mankind might (but most likely will not) disappear in 2012, but I doubt that it would be its own fault. Global warning won't kill us off in that time frame, if at all. The human species survived that last glaciation, and it had far less technology at its disposal. Now a huge meteorite collision is a whole other matter. ;)

I say we make it at least 'till May 3rd 2027 10:12 am. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.