Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nater.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Alright, I was able to wait till the Mac Pro came out! I was planning on buying a PowerMac G5 about a month or so ago but was told, it would be a good idea to wait. GOOD IDEA. The Mac Pro looks awesome!

I'm a graphic designer just about to finish school. My dad was gonna buy me a mac around graduation. Somewhere around 2000-3000 budget. What would you suggest? I have an alright CRT but nothing fancy. I plan to buy memory from somewhere else and install it myself.

Are the Cinema displays worth it? I love the look of it, but if I bought one of those - I would have to go with the lowest Mac Pro. But if I just continued using my CRT, I could go with the mid-range. Any help out be great.

I know no one has one yet...but just on paper, what looks good for me?

thanks for your time.

cag17

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2006
A)I would say go with the lowest config option on the Xeon. --It's a kickass setup.

B)You said you would be doing memory... I would say what, 4gb to be comfy? Maybe scrape by with 2? I'm a ram junky...Either way, you have to add that into the price.

C)The Apple Cinema Display is gorgeous, but not all it's cracked up to be...
I have relatively new Sony twins...a 19" and a 17"..IMO the image quality is crisper than the 20" ACD, along with more accurate color. I assume you could only afford the 20" Display with your budget.

D)I'd say a single 500gb would be enough for your photos. Unless you're storing in .raw, you should be fine.

E)Baseline graphics card, no ifs ands or buts.

F)2 superdrives or 1, your choice

G) Wireless and Bluetooth, a must have.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Mac Pro

get the 2.66 processors

you get a lot for that $300. Can upgrade almost everything else...

but you can't upgrade the processor. That said, 3.0GHz is not worth $800 unless your work is footing the bill. A faster processor will keep your computer useful longer.

2.66 over 2.0 for $300 What % increase in GHz for that $300?

YOU DO THE MATH.

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
the cinema displays have dropped in price! The 30 inch is now cheaper then Dell's offering and are much sexier!

nater.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
tipdrill407 said:
the cinema displays have dropped in price! The 30 inch is now cheaper then Dell's offering and are much sexier!

wish i could afford that...

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
by graphics designer do you mean 2D or 3D graphics? i use Pro/E at work and i use an IBM workstation with dual Xeon processors, 4gb of ram and a quadro fx3500 (i think) card. my rendering often lags wih that setup. if you were to do 3D graphics i'd say go for a better graphics card. and yeah, go for the 2.66ghz. the $300 is worth it imho. if your assemblies aren't too big, 2gb should be ample for now (and can be upgraded for later). good luck!

nater.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
thanks for all the replies.
I do 2d stuff. print work, some web...

I might just go with the 2.66 and then look around for one or two cheap lcd's.
Probably add 1gig of ram or 2.

Clydefrog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2006
Pittsburgh,PA
For the display i would look into getting a Dell with coupon codes. I managed to get my 2005FPW for $411 plus shipping using promo codes. Its pretty much the same as the cinema minus the looks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.