Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
guys this is just a horrible horrible idea, it's clear the new imac is not to be opened. You will not only void the warranty (critical on a day 1 new untested design) but also risk physical damage to open and close this, not to mention risk the replacement tapes not holding correctly over periods of time.

This becomes even more true on the 27" imac, must be crazy to risk it on a $2000-$3000 machine.

For the 27", get the fusion drive and leave it alone is the best advise you going to get.

MetalCooper

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
guys this is just a horrible horrible idea, it's clear the new imac is not to be opened. You will not only void the warranty (critical on a day 1 new untested design) but also risk physical damage to open and close this, not to mention risk the replacement tapes not holding correctly over periods of time.

This becomes even more true on the 27" imac, must be crazy to risk it on a $2000-$3000 machine.

For the 27", get the fusion drive and leave it alone is the best advise you going to get.

How are you so sure your warranty will be voided? When you add a new exhaust system to your car, add a new head unit, or add a spoiler - does that void your warranty?

Don't say modifications to your vehicle and your computer are different because it isn't

whizpup

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
RAM and Hard Drive Upgrade

For what it's worth. The screen removal is slightly a pain in the 21.5" machines but really only about 10 careful minutes to perform the task. Once inside you can carefully do your duties without much trouble.
Here is a published quick guide: http://macramdirect.com/21.5upgrade.html

Attachments

• slim21upgrade.png
    slim21upgrade.png
    591 KB · Views: 417

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Hey guys, as a temp solution we sealed the imac up with some 3m 465 adhesive tape. Its not the same as the original tape since it leaves a little residue when removed but it also rubs off easily. We are still looking for the right tape and have some coming in at the end of the week. Im so glad i ordered a maxed out 27" or i would have been tempted to do the same. At this point i would not advise anyone to open up the 2012 imacs until someone gets a hold of the service manual which should have the part numbers for the replacement tape.

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Here is the best picture i could get with my crappy camera.

Attachments

• DSCF5681.JPG
    DSCF5681.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 564

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Yeah the imac looks like new, you cant tell it was opened up from the outside.

Is the reason you want the service manual tape just to make it raise less red flags if the machine gets serviced? (Also, what type of provisional tape did you use?)

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Is the reason you want the service manual tape just to make it raise less red flags if the machine gets serviced? (Also, what type of provisional tape did you use?)

I used 3m 465 adhesive transfer tape. The only reason he wants the factory tape is because it will be easier to apply/take off during future upgrades.

MetalCooper

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Waiting to see what OWC comes up with as far as replacing the internal HDD with an SSD. They sell a 16 GB Ram upgrade kit for the 21.5 iMac and it includes adhesive tape.

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Waiting to see what OWC comes up with as far as replacing the internal HDD with an SSD. They sell a 16 GB Ram upgrade kit for the 21.5 iMac and it includes adhesive tape.

Any of their 2.5" ssds should work for replacing the internal HDD. And their $580 blade for the MBPr should work to *add* storage if you have the $1499 model which has the sata socket. (At least mine does, per system profiler.)

----------

I used 3m 465 adhesive transfer tape. The only reason he wants the factory tape is because it will be easier to apply/take off during future upgrades.

Thanks. When you removed the display, where was the displayport connector? Was it simple to remove? It seems like once you get comfortable with the adhesive thing, this imac may end up being easier to upgrade than the last one. I opened up the 2011 imac many, many times, and i spent more time cleaning out dust that got trapped between the glass and the LCD than anything else. (The worst was when I used iKlear to try to clean the inside of the glass, oh lord was that a pain in the ass.)

HunterMaximus

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Toronto, ON, Canada

Thanks for the great info. Have you attempted re-opening it? Is the replacement tape similarly easy to remove (aside from residue)? It would suck to close it up, only to find I've turned my new iMac into an inaccessible coffin ;)

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
Any updates on the tape ? EG: size , thickness etc etc

Any higher res photos you are able to post links too ?

hanging out to get my 27" to rip it apart also haha

Thanks

Tim

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for the great info. Have you attempted re-opening it? Is the replacement tape similarly easy to remove (aside from residue)? It would suck to close it up, only to find I've turned my new iMac into an inaccessible coffin ;)

The imac is just as easy to take apart with the 465 tape but it took me over 30 minutes to clean up the residue. I replaced the 465 tape with a 3m 16mil VHB foam tape, its stronger than the 465 tape and it peels off easy just like the factory tape. It still does not look the same as the factory tape.

Last edited:

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Any updates on the tape ? EG: size , thickness etc etc

Any higher res photos you are able to post links too ?

hanging out to get my 27" to rip it apart also haha

Thanks

Tim

The only recommendation i have at this point is maximum thickness of the tape should not be more that 16mil. The 465 was only 2mil so i had to place it on the housing and the back of the lcd frame.

HunterMaximus

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Toronto, ON, Canada
The imac is just as easy to take apart with the 465 tape but it took me over 30 minutes to clean up the residue. I replaced the 465 tape with a 3m 16mil VHB foam tape, its stronger than the 465 tape and it peels off easy just like the factory tape. It still does not look the same as the factory tape.

That's good to know, thanks again. Where did you find your tape? From what I've only been able to find it in massive quantities online. Given the choice of spending $2000 on a bulk order of tape, or a $1300 factory SSD, I'd go for the SSD ;)

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
That's good to know, thanks again. Where did you find your tape? From what I've only been able to find it in massive quantities online. Given the choice of spending $2000 on a bulk order of tape, or a $1300 factory SSD, I'd go for the SSD ;)

Amazon has several brands of 16mil 1/2" VHB tape in small quantities for from $5 to $20

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010

I purchased the 465 from drillspot.com several years ago. I found the 3m VHB tape from my local Grainger industrial supply store.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
How are you so sure your warranty will be voided? When you add a new exhaust system to your car, add a new head unit, or add a spoiler - does that void your warranty?

Don't say modifications to your vehicle and your computer are different because it isn't

From the iMac warranty @ Apple:
This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.

Seems pretty clear to anyone with English as their native language.

IANAL, but if I were on the Apple side of a warranty claim and one of these "home remodel" units were the subject?

The Owner of said unit is also the warrantee holder and responsible for any and all repairs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.