Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
This thing is getting crushed in reviews but it seems like its almost software related so hopefully with an update or two they can really refine it and make it a lot better.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Is the running accurate? Interested how it would be with cycling

I think so. I felt like the amount of steps it was counting was a little high, however it accurately recorded the distance so maybe the steps were also accurate. I ran with it along the course I always run and it was fairly accurate in recording the distance. It was checking my heart rate in real time which was also cool. You just need to have it in one of the running/cycling/exercise modes in order for it to do this. Plus the watch needs to be worn on the inside of the wrist instead of the screen facing out like a traditional watch. That would be why so many people were getting false readings.

I guess the real question is whether or not it's worth $200. The Moto 360 looks nice, but they didn't mention any fitness tracking abilities. I guess the real question I have is how good will the iWatch be with their fitness tracking. Only time will tell. Long story short, I love gadgets, and I also love running and working out. This was totally worth it to me. :D

kdarling

macrumors P6
Maybe it's just me, but the heartbeat monitor worked fine on the outside of my wrist while walking in the exercise mode.

--

Btw, gave the second Fit I bought to my daughter, who's a marathoner and a kindergarten teacher and cannot use a phone at school.

So far she loves it. Especially being able to get notifications from her husband silently and unobtrusively during class... AND being able to tap a preset quick reply button like "Yes", "No", "Will call later", "Pick me up today", "Love you" and so forth.

If the darned thing would only work with more phones, it'd be a great gift for a lot of people. However, half my kids use iPhones. Oh well. I'm sure Apple will come out with something, sometime.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Maybe it's just me, but the heartbeat monitor worked fine on the outside of my wrist while walking in the exercise mode.

--

Btw, gave the second Fit I bought to my daughter, who's a marathoner and a kindergarten teacher and cannot use a phone at school.

So far she loves it. Especially being able to get notifications from her husband silently and unobtrusively during class... AND being able to tap a preset quick reply button like "Yes", "No", "Will call later", "Pick me up today", "Love you" and so forth.

If the darned thing would only work with more phones, it'd be a great gift for a lot of people. However, half my kids use iPhones. Oh well. I'm sure Apple will come out with something, sometime.

Very cool, my wife is a second grade teacher with similar restrictions. I could see that working, though wonder how admin would react. Uses an iphone though :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's at pc world for £169 so may take a look today.. If the steps are accurate I may pull the trigger on this.

Seeing as I just bought a bike.. Would like to use the cycling miles for that.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I've had a few test runs with this device and I'm a bit concerned that the step count may be a little off but the distance recorded is accurate. I also love the fact that it tracks in real time my heart rate as I run. Getting notifications on my wrist without having to pull out my phone is also a plus. I think I'll be keeping this device.

So are all those reviews wrong? you can actually keep running without stopping and see your HR on the fit screen? Do you have to still have it read the HR while running, or does it continuously monitor and display it? The reason I ask is I do a lot of high interval intensity training which involves moderate running with short intervals of all out sprinting and I'd be afraid that the Fit couldn't keep up with monitoring my HR.

kdarling

macrumors P6
So are all those reviews wrong? you can actually keep running without stopping and see your HR on the fit screen?

Yes, it continuously displays your HR in exercise mode.

Of course, the screen is going to keep going dark, unless you set the timeout to like 5 minutes (the max).

Also, I haven't tried it, but supposedly if you turn on the "coaching", it'll vibrate and tell you to speed or slow down, based on your heartrate. Not sure if you can set the limits yourself.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yes, it continuously displays your HR in exercise mode.

Of course, the screen is going to keep going dark, unless you set the timeout to like 5 minutes (the max).

Also, I haven't tried it, but supposedly if you turn on the "coaching", it'll vibrate and tell you to speed or slow down, based on your heartrate. Not sure if you can set the limits yourself.

Nice, I might have to give it a try. Anyone see if it can keep up with an interval/sprint program?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Nice, I might have to give it a try. Anyone see if it can keep up with an interval/sprint program?

I haven't tried that out yet as I usually run for longer distances. I need to get a good track workout in soon, I'll test that out when I do. As kdarling stated though the screen does go black and I don't tend to continuously look at the screen during my run. However during the "running mode" the heart stays on the screen and my HR would change at rest periods during my run. I noticed the number would fluctuate up and down continuously so it was tracking in real time. I'm not sure how quickly it will change during sprint intervals. Hope that helps.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Gear fit looks really interesting, but I'm going to sit this out and wait and see if the tech improves in terms of functions and battery life.

I do see the appeal though.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I haven't tried that out yet as I usually run for longer distances. I need to get a good track workout in soon, I'll test that out when I do. As kdarling stated though the screen does go black and I don't tend to continuously look at the screen during my run. However during the "running mode" the heart stays on the screen and my HR would change at rest periods during my run. I noticed the number would fluctuate up and down continuously so it was tracking in real time. I'm not sure how quickly it will change during sprint intervals. Hope that helps.

Cool, it would be great if you could check it out. My personal workout is to sprint all out for 15-30 seconds, then recover for 1-2 minutes depending on how fast it takes my HR to get down and depending on my goals, and how well my body has recovered from my last workout. I don't mind if the screen blacks out, as long as it will turn on when I put my wrist up. Is there any option to have the screen on longer though? I'd love to have it on those 15-30 seconds I'm all out.

kdarling

macrumors P6
C'mon Doc... just get one already. You're falling behind on tech :)

Heck, look at this article. Even Leapfrog is coming out with a $40 exercise watch.

leapfrog_watch.jpg

At this rate, your kids will have one before you do !! :D

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
C'mon Doc... just get one already. You're falling behind on tech :)

Heck, look at this article. Even Leapfrog is coming out with a $40 exercise watch.

View attachment 471214

At this rate, your kids will have one before you do !! :D

I actually like that one. My daughter loves watches, but I think she's too young for it, she's only 2.

As for the Fit, yeah I am tempted. My issue is I'm so indecisive and walk around with an iphone 5s and a Note 3, so would have to commit to the Note 3 to fully get use out of the Fit.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Cool, it would be great if you could check it out. My personal workout is to sprint all out for 15-30 seconds, then recover for 1-2 minutes depending on how fast it takes my HR to get down and depending on my goals, and how well my body has recovered from my last workout. I don't mind if the screen blacks out, as long as it will turn on when I put my wrist up. Is there any option to have the screen on longer though? I'd love to have it on those 15-30 seconds I'm all out.

I can attest after tonights run, it definitely tracks in real time. Sprinting should not be an issue. If you're an Android user this is your best offer. I'm impressed. Like kdarling said, quit holding out and just pull the trigger, you know you want one lol. :D

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I can attest after tonights run, it definitely tracks in real time. Sprinting should not be an issue. If you're an Android user this is your best offer. I'm impressed. Like kdarling said, quit holding out and just pull the trigger, you know you want one lol. :D

Did you say you have tried the cycling on it Chris?

So when going for a run it was actually accurate?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Very nice, TY for the feedback.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Did you say you have tried the cycling on it Chris?

So when going for a run it was actually accurate?

Unfortunately I haven't tried the cycling, but the running is fairly accurate. I wanted to hold out for the Moto 360 but there has been no mention of fitness tracking on that device. For the money I think this is your best bet as an Android user. Almost 2 weeks in and I have no regrets. If it helps, I get all kinds of compliments when wearing this device. :D

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Unfortunately I haven't tried the cycling, but the running is fairly accurate. I wanted to hold out for the Moto 360 but there has been no mention of fitness tracking on that device. For the money I think this is your best bet as an Android user. Almost 2 weeks in and I have no regrets.

I'm still in two minds on gear fit and gear 2..

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
That's understandable. If I thought I would use the camera and the phone capabilities I would have sprung for the Gear 2 as well.

I was stuck for a while as well, but 3 things decided me. 1) I don't want to give up my current watch, and don't want to wear 2 watches. 2) The phone functions of the Gear 2 fascinate me, but having owned the Gear 1 I know that it doesn't function well unless under the perfect circumstances, ie the speaker isn't loud enough unless in a totally silent room, it would never work in a moving car which is what I needed. 3) The lack of Android, I would have loved to play around with a rooted smartwatch but that ability is gone. There may potentially be an android version cooked up for it, but it won't be for a while and other watches will be out by then, and that's only a maybe.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Reason why I'm thinking gear 2 over fit is all the main features fitness wise on the fit is on the gear 2.i like the improvements in the gear 2 from the 1 and it does look nicer. I will use it for fitness but also for notifications

kdarling

macrumors P6
Well, that was interesting.

Got an an Amber Alert on the Fit while laying in bed the other night. (I didn't have notifications turned off.)

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the vibration was much sharper than usual. Really made me pay attention. In other words, it made me jump a bit :)

Wonder if emergency notifications have a special mode?

If so, that would be perfect for weather warnings. (My daughter with a Fit lives in tornado country.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.